• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Catch up on old topic. Mag ,mods

Started by 1911SHOOTER, February 15, 2018, 03:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Guys,
        Went to the range today (finally). Between the cold and these old bones,
I finally made it to the range.   All 8 mags functioned perfectly,  I used all the junk
9MM amm I had in my dope bag.  Only two misteps.  One ARX cartridge took a
good dent in the primer but did not fire, second try it fired.  And, 1 Winchester
white box cartridge Pulled trigger, no hit on primer.   Second try fired.
Both happened with Smokey.   I will clean it thoroughly and try it again.
Blackie worked flawlessly. I ran all 8 mags through both guns and was pleased
with the results.  Total of 150 rounds.
Blackie.   
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

And those kowboy reviewers on youtube claim you can't run junk 9mm through an R51 without major malfunctions. Hah! What do they know! Thanks Blackie for posting. The R51 will feed and work with any 9mm on the market. I am convinced of this not only after what you have posted before, but also my personal experience as well.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     I took apart Smokey today, and checked the Breech block and firing pin.
Without taking the firing pin out of the pistol, it felt good, no glitches, no
snags etc.  If it happens attain, I will take the pin out and check it.
I use Blackie for back up carry, and Smokey resides under my pillow.
Excuse me but I have to go and finish my Beam  on the rocks.  :<)
Blackie

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on February 16, 2018, 04:43:37 PM
Todd,
     I took apart Smokey today, and checked the Breech block and firing pin.
Without taking the firing pin out of the pistol, it felt good, no glitches, no
snags etc.  If it happens attain, I will take the pin out and check it.
I use Blackie for back up carry, and Smokey resides under my pillow.
Excuse me but I have to go and finish my Beam  on the rocks.  :<)
Blackie

What surprised me was how much crap works its way in behind the extractor and into the FP channel. If you take the extractor out you'll see the front of the pin and it's return spring are wide open to all the powder residue. I plan on using a shot or two of brake cleaner in the FP area as part of my cleaning routine from now on.  I used to enjoy Beam also, but lost my taste for Bourbon. Now its  Johnny Walker or Crown Royal. I love my Crown with a shot of Fireball, ummmm.

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
      I also have noticed how dirty these R51s shoot.  I would be careful about
what you use on that little plastic retractor spring though.  Not sure how
brake fluid will affect that little ball.
I use Hoppe's #9 and then Hoppe's oil.  There a couple of places on the
Breech Block that really get caked up with soot.   Had to scrape it off with
a small screwdriver blade!.
      Have you had a problem with grip screws coming loose?  I do not have
O-rings on Blackie and have less of a problem with it, Smokey has O-rings
and is worse about coming loose.  I guess I will have to get some of that
high strength Loc-Tite for both of them.  Not like I will be taking the grips
off,  unless, Mr Keefer brings out another super duper set of grips!

Blackie

funflyer

Blackie, you can tap out the pin holding the extractor pretty easy so the rubber button won't have to be an issue when cleaning. My grip screws have never been a problem, the o-rings seem to be doing their job well. Also, the only Loctite I would use on the screws is 222 which is low strength. Any other strength could be a problem later when you want to remove the screws.

R51Fan2017

Anybody here use Ed's Red? It is a terrific cleaning formula that you can make at home. And it INSTANTLY MELTS, LITERALLY MELTS, carbon build up no matter how much is caked on there. Just dab a little on a rag, wipe it off and you are left with a perfectly clean part.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on February 17, 2018, 10:03:54 AM
Anybody here use Ed's Red? It is a terrific cleaning formula that you can make at home. And it INSTANTLY MELTS, LITERALLY MELTS, carbon build up no matter how much is caked on there. Just dab a little on a rag, wipe it off and you are left with a perfectly clean part.
I use Ed's Red.  It's interesting to me from a historic perspective.  Ed's Red uses currently available materials to re-create a cleaning formula from Hatcher's Notebook, which itself is re-creating a formula supposedly from a military arsenal (Frankford Arsenal).  When I track it down, it's actually a formula going back to pre-WWI.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/articles/gun-cleaning-and-care-a-diy-cleaning-recipe.209/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Aznav

Man, only been twenty minutes on this forum and learning some great stuff, I'm the new guy that posted 124 over 115 grain learned on YouTube. Hey, it worked for me but as I said open to any suggestions. Also, I too noticed an incredible build up of carbon from just ten mags.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Aznav on February 24, 2018, 06:07:30 PM
Man, only been twenty minutes on this forum and learning some great stuff, I'm the new guy that posted 124 over 115 grain learned on YouTube. Hey, it worked for me but as I said open to any suggestions. Also, I too noticed an incredible build up of carbon from just ten mags.

This gun just shoots dirty. Heck, my P38 doesn't get this dirty even after a half day of shooting. Just under a an hour and this thing is already filthy.

- Larry Elder

SCurmudgeon

Quote from: lklawson on February 20, 2018, 09:16:18 AM
I use Ed's Red.  It's interesting to me from a historic perspective.  Ed's Red uses currently available materials to re-create a cleaning formula from Hatcher's Notebook, which itself is re-creating a formula supposedly from a military arsenal (Frankford Arsenal).  When I track it down, it's actually a formula going back to pre-WWI.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/articles/gun-cleaning-and-care-a-diy-cleaning-recipe.209/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Its goona be hard tracking down the Sperm Oil referenced in your recipe link.  In fact, the government will probably start tracking me now because I mentioned sperm oil in this post. 

What do you use for a substitute?

lklawson

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on February 26, 2018, 11:21:53 AM
Its goona be hard tracking down the Sperm Oil referenced in your recipe link.  In fact, the government will probably start tracking me now because I mentioned sperm oil in this post. 

What do you use for a substitute?
Every once in a while someone finds an antique can of sperm oil.  It usually goes to collectors or museums.  But if you look hard enough and have enough money, you can find it.

As I mention in the last paragraph of the article, when Cold Pressed Sperm Oil was made legally no longer available, the automotive industry substituted Dexron ATF, which is why it is used in the modern Ed's Red recipe.  I also mentioned that an organic substituted is Jojoba oil, which, while still a tad pricey, is easily available and very closely mimics Sperm Oil.

I've sometimes wondered how liquid lanolin would fit.  I know that it's often a component of Ed's Red though I don't use it in my formulation.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk