• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON THE CHARLOTTE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, January 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky150

Well....the same problem that I had on my Huntsville pistol has raised it ugly head on my Charlotte pistol yesterday.  I have no more than 500 rounds on it and whaaa...laaaa.  The mag release pin was coming out of the right side.    I love this pistol but what next????

R51Fan2017

I wonder if an over sized pin would fix this. I still have yet to have that problem on my Huntsville pistol.  Funflyer already shot down my roll pin idea. For some reason it won't work. I would try an oversize pin this time. I don't think it is to the point of sending it back to Remington.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Rocky150

My first R51 is off to Remington repair now.  I will wait until it returns to see what they did to fix it before I do anything.  I am not sure a larger pin would be wise at this point as it may void the warranty for modifying the frame. Further it needs to fit within the mag release spring and fixture and I am not sure if it would.  Time will tell.

Rocky 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Rocky150 on January 15, 2018, 03:18:40 PM
My first R51 is off to Remington repair now.  I will wait until it returns to see what they did to fix it before I do anything.  I am not sure a larger pin would be wise at this point as it may void the warranty for modifying the frame. Further it needs to fit within the mag release spring and fixture and I am not sure if it would.  Time will tell.

Rocky

I wish you the best Rocky!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Wow, that is bad luck Rock. At this point I'd just keep re-seating it whenever it walks and wait for Remington to fix both of them. Let's hope they don't just replace the pin with the same part number and call it good or chances are better than not it will keep happening. An oversized pin would be a few thousands larger just on the splined end if they actually make one. If they don't make one now they better start thinking about it.

1911SHOOTER

Could the problem be the aluminum frame?   Big Green needs to get on the stick.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 15, 2018, 09:14:21 PM
Could the problem be the aluminum frame?   Big Green needs to get on the stick.
Blackie

That is what I am beginning to wonder about. Are they passing off cheap aluminum on us, and we don't know it..........yet?  Come on Remington! Get yall's head in the game!

- Larry Elder

SCurmudgeon

Could it be faulty pins?

Has anyone been able to measure and compare pins that are falling out with pins that stay in?

R51Fan2017

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on January 16, 2018, 09:17:03 AM
Could it be faulty pins?

Has anyone been able to measure and compare pins that are falling out with pins that stay in?

I don't know. Frankly, I haven't bothered to take mine out since problems started arising with them. I'm kind of skiddish out doing that to investigate mine, because it isn't doing it yet. I don't want it to start.

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

My Charlotte pistol mag release pin is tighter than Scrooges wallet.   I was going to
take a look at it, and it won't come out!  Leaving well enough alone.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Rocky150

OK....my Huntsville pistol came back today and we went straight to the range.   She still shoots exactly where I point her...what a pistol.   I had 1 FTF in about 100 rounds.  The mag release pin was replaced however I cannot tell if they placed a larger pin there or did something else.  They test fired a full mag and the pistol and deemed my Mag #1 well....but we know there are still problems.  My Shield and SAR B6P did not hiccup once.   Just my Huntsville.     :- :-\

Now Charlotte goes back for the same fix.   >:(

Regards to all.

RRR

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Rocky150 on February 01, 2018, 06:25:38 PM
OK....my Huntsville pistol came back today and we went straight to the range.   She still shoots exactly where I point her...what a pistol.   I had 1 FTF in about 100 rounds.  The mag release pin was replaced however I cannot tell if they placed a larger pin there or did something else.  They test fired a full mag and the pistol and deemed my Mag #1 well....but we know there are still problems.  My Shield and SAR B6P did not hiccup once.   Just my Huntsville.     :- :-\

Now Charlotte goes back for the same fix.   >:(

Regards to all.

RRR

Sounds like problem is solved. Before you send Charlotte off, check her pin versus the one in the Huntsville pistol and maybe you can tell it it is an oversized pin or not.

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: Rocky150 on February 01, 2018, 06:25:38 PM
My Shield and SAR B6P did not hiccup once.   Just my Huntsville.     :- :-\

Regards to all.
RRR,

Rock, that goes without saying ;) I have never once had an issue with either of my Shields after countless rounds, 9mm or 45ACP. As far as the Sarsilmaz, I've yet to see a negative review.

Now for the walking mag release pin, chances are they probably mic'd all the pins they had available to find the most oversize to use in your pistol. Shoot the crap out of it and keep us up to speed on the results.

Pat Riot

Well, maybe i am lucky...I made to 1000 rounds before my pin staring falling out. I thought the gunsmith did something when hi installed my new fiber optic sights but now i find the 2 threads started by Rocky and I see now there is a problem.

I am getting frustrated with this gun. I want to love it but...

On the other thread and maybe this one there was mention of Loc-Tite. There is a Loc-Tite for "cylindrical parts" that I have used and will probably try on this pin.
Loc-Tite 608 is for cylindrical parts that will be disassembled at some point is probably the one to try.
Loc-Tite 620 is the one for more permanent fixes and requires heat to break loose, like Loc-Tite Red.

I was thinking of buying a second R51 but I am really not sure now.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on April 25, 2018, 06:23:33 AM
Well, maybe i am lucky...I made to 1000 rounds before my pin staring falling out. I thought the gunsmith did something when hi installed my new fiber optic sights but now i find the 2 threads started by Rocky and I see now there is a problem.

I am getting frustrated with this gun. I want to love it but...

On the other thread and maybe this one there was mention of Loc-Tite. There is a Loc-Tite for "cylindrical parts" that I have used and will probably try on this pin.
Loc-Tite 608 is for cylindrical parts that will be disassembled at some point is probably the one to try.
Loc-Tite 620 is the one for more permanent fixes and requires heat to break loose, like Loc-Tite Red.

I was thinking of buying a second R51 but I am really not sure now.

I know it's frustrating Pat, but hang in there and don't loose confidence. I would try the Loc-Tite and then go from there.

- Larry Elder