• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON THE CHARLOTTE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, January 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

Rocky150

Took Charlotte to the range today but did not clean her after being repaired and returned.   I had two mags with me....the new one (#7) and trusty #3.   Loaded #3 up and cycled the first round through her...a bit sticky and did not seat perfectly. Resolved with the butt of my hand.   Fired the first round...FTE!.  Cleared and re-chambered another round.   FTE! ...Cleared and re-chambered.   150 round later...NO ISSUES!!!!.   Both mags worked perfectly .Did not use sling shot method to seat the first round, rather I hand cycled. They performed perfectly.  Most likely dirt from the repair was responsible for the early issues.  I should have cleaned it before shooting it.   WE ARE GOOD TO GO!!!!

RRR

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Rocky150 on May 22, 2018, 05:41:02 PM
Took Charlotte to the range today but did not clean her after being repaired and returned.   I had two mags with me....the new one (#7) and trusty #3.   Loaded #3 up and cycled the first round through her...a bit sticky and did not seat perfectly. Resolved with the butt of my hand.   Fired the first round...FTE!.  Cleared and re-chambered another round.   FTE! ...Cleared and re-chambered.   150 round later...NO ISSUES!!!!.   Both mags worked perfectly .Did not use sling shot method to seat the first round, rather I hand cycled. They performed perfectly.  Most likely dirt from the repair was responsible for the early issues.  I should have cleaned it before shooting it.   WE ARE GOOD TO GO!!!!

RRR

Bad start to the afternoon! Glad she finished strong in the end though! Can you tell if they did anything out of the ordinary as far as the repair work goes, or does it still look like the same arrangement?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Rocky150

They definitely replaced the mag release pin.  The release is much less smooth and requires more thumb strength but it is a super job.  I suspect a thicker pin??.  Hopefully it remains in place for the life of the piece.  And I cannot say enough about the attitude of the reps at Remington.  They were outstanding, open, forthright, and did exactly as they said.  "Good on them"....

Regards to all.

RRR

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Rocky150 on May 22, 2018, 10:18:17 PM
They definitely replaced the mag release pin.  The release is much less smooth and requires more thumb strength but it is a super job.  I suspect a thicker pin??.  Hopefully it remains in place for the life of the piece.  And I cannot say enough about the attitude of the reps at Remington.  They were outstanding, open, forthright, and did exactly as they said.  "Good on them"....

Regards to all.

RRR

Funny that your pin requires more thumb strength. I know strength of each individual is relative, but mine requires both my thumbs to release my mags full and partial alike. And I think I have relatively good hand strength. It feels like binding almost, but can't say for certain. I wish I could see what is happening down in there.

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

It sounds to me like Remington's fix is s stiffer spring for pin retention. If that is the case they have just altered one of the things I liked about my R51 and that was ease of dropping a mag using my trigger finger.

My R51 is still back at Remington now for mag pin repair.
I called last week and was promised a call back but the call never came. I plan to call today.

PR

shinerjohn

On my last 2 range visits (including today), my mag release pin exits out the right side.  I've been using a brass hammer and punch to return it to its proper place.  I'm wondering if peening the left end of the pin will cause it to hold better....

R51Fan2017

Quote from: shinerjohn on June 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM
On my last 2 range visits (including today), my mag release pin exits out the right side.  I've been using a brass hammer and punch to return it to its proper place.  I'm wondering if peening the left end of the pin will cause it to hold better....

Peen, or trying an over-sized pin..?? Or for that matter, maybe a roll pin. 

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

Quote from: shinerjohn on June 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM

When mine came loose the pin would reinstall easily while inserting a mag. Try that next time. You may be stressing the aluminum around the pin hole of the frame by tapping it in.

I got a call from Remington last Friday and they are sending my gun back. They said the pin was fixed but wouldn't tell me what they did. I asked if they put a heavier spring in to help secure the pin and the man skirted the issue. I guess I will see when the gun gets back to me.

shinerjohn

Thanks for the suggestion, Pat Riot!  I'll definitely give that a try!

Zenshot

Now mine has caught the walking pin sickness. With a mag inserted it can be easily pushed back in.  For now I just keep an eye on it. It only walked once during my range session yesterday but I know that these things don't fix themselves. If it starts happening more frequently then I'll send it in.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on June 27, 2018, 04:41:59 PM
Now mine has caught the walking pin sickness. With a mag inserted it can be easily pushed back in.  For now I just keep an eye on it. It only walked once during my range session yesterday but I know that these things don't fix themselves. If it starts happening more frequently then I'll send it in.

Just for the record, how many rounds approx. do you have through it?

- Larry Elder

Zenshot

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on June 27, 2018, 06:01:40 PM
Quote from: Zenshot on June 27, 2018, 04:41:59 PM

Just for the record, how many rounds approx. do you have through it?

I've got close to 1000 rounds through it. It's the Charlotte model.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on June 27, 2018, 07:53:07 PM
I've got close to 1000 rounds through it. It's the Charlotte model.

All of the affected guns are in that round count range. Mine only has about 420 rounds in it, and I have no problems. I guess that means, in due time, it will rear it's ugly head with me too. Oh well, just waiting for the inevitable now! I know I sound like a broken record, but has anyone tried an over-sized or roll pin? It would save time in shipping it back to Remington, and it would also save the potential for something happening to the gun in the mail. I don't know why I have nightmares about losing my gun in the mail. So I do everything possible to avoid it. Just saying.  ;)

- Larry Elder