• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

slide action pull

Started by bzangor1, September 02, 2016, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slide Action Pull:  Light, Medium, or Heavy/Hard

Light
5 (27.8%)
Medium/Average
8 (44.4%)
Heavy/Hard
4 (22.2%)
Other
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 29, 2016, 09:38:20 AM
     Remington's website states, "the extremely light slide-racking force makes it slick to operate, and an ideal choice for those with smaller hand/reduced grip strength. (scroll right to the last dot on the page to "Easy Does It").
     BS! I am 81 and find it hard to rack the slide on my R51. Cleaning it is out of the question,
I can get the slide off if I use a pair of
channel locks to hold the barrel around the grooves. I have yet to get the barrel and
action spring out of the slide. And, yes, I know it is a no-no to use the pliers, but it is that or
not cleaning the barrel, and breech block. 

https://www.remington.com/handguns/remington-r51
I find that to be accurate with mine.  The Gen 2 does have a heavier recoil spring than the Gen 1 did.  That's very clear.  But it's still lighter than that of most other centerfire semi-auto pistils I've taken down.  When you take down your 1911, do you use your thumb or a takedown tool to depress the plunger?  I use a tool.

You should try the Astra 400 some time.   :o

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Kirk,
     I use my thumb on all my 1911s, except my Remington R1911. It is stiff, I was going to replace the spring, but I gave the weapon to my grandson to use on the job. He has no problem with it.
First I ever heard of an Astra 400, 81 years young and I learn something new every once in a while.
I will google it. Tks.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 30, 2016, 09:10:43 PM
Kirk,
     I use my thumb on all my 1911s, except my Remington R1911. It is stiff, I was going to replace the spring, but I gave the weapon to my grandson to use on the job. He has no problem with it.
First I ever heard of an Astra 400, 81 years young and I learn something new every once in a while.
I will google it. Tks.
Blackie
It's a neat gun.

http://9mmlargo.com/400/index.htm

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

midstroke

My slide is very light to rack. It is greased with Tw25b on rails and barrel. Probably have about 200 rounds through it. The slide is light enough to rack it on my belt using the rear sight.

GunFrogg

Hey 1911Shooter,
Sorry, but I just have to ask . . . . cuz ya just made me cringe - are you putting something over the channel lock teeth?

Just funny with ya a little here  :)

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GunFrogg on December 06, 2016, 08:22:38 AM
Hey 1911Shooter,
Sorry, but I just have to ask . . . . cuz ya just made me cringe - are you putting something over the channel lock teeth?

Just funny with ya a little here  :)

Howdy, GunFrog,
     Ya know those rubber grips on electricians pliers? I took a set of them, cut them down and put them on my channel locks jaws.
No muss, no fuss. That *&%$# action spring is just too strong for my old hands to grip. Sorry I made ya cringe.   :=}
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

GunFrogg

Hey 1911Shooter,
Hummm. . . . rubber grips from an electricians pliers. . . now there is an idea I need to remember :-)

I hear you on the challenge of that %&*#$ action spring.

Okay I'll stop cringing  ;D
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight