• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Major magazine failures

Started by Mike, December 23, 2016, 08:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

So I picked up my r51 2 days ago and went to the range yesterday, the first five rounds went fine then on number six the base plate on the magazine blew out so after checking the gun over well I could find nothing wrong so I put the second magazine in and shot about 30 rounds with no issues then the same thing happened the base on the magazine blew out, I was shooting Remington 115g so nothing special and no hot rounds. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Texas-Mark

That does sound strange. I can see a mag failing due to a defect, but two with the same gun is really odd. Are they broken or were you able to replace the base plates?

Mike

I was not able to find either spring and the base plate is 2 pieces and I was not able to find 1 on the inside pieces.

Texas-Mark

Interesting. Someone had posted about possibly a third update to the mags, and if that was true, I wonder if yours were that newer version. I assume you will be contacting Remington. I look forward to hearing what they say.  Keep us posted.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Mike on December 23, 2016, 08:41:55 AM
So I picked up my r51 2 days ago and went to the range yesterday, the first five rounds went fine then on number six the base plate on the magazine blew out so after checking the gun over well I could find nothing wrong so I put the second magazine in and shot about 30 rounds with no issues then the same thing happened the base on the magazine blew out, I was shooting Remington 115g so nothing special and no hot rounds. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Mike,
      Do you know if the Mags had been disassembled at any time? Not doubting you at all, but I have never seen any mag do that. I bet it shocked the blazes out of ya huh?
I notice the base plate on the mags is apparently some type of polymer or plastic. Maybe it stripped out where is mates with the metal frame of the mag?
Those mags should go back to Big Green, not their repair ship in ALA.
BTW, I keep a pick up magnet in my truck on a piece of rope, for looking for parts in grass or on the ground. A spring is next to invisible on the ground.
And, yes, I have lost parts during an emergency field strip.
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

Mike

I am hoping to hear something from Remington next week, the magazines appeared to never have been out of the package. It was not a fun experience and it scared the you know what out of me but luckily I did not get hurt.

Texas-Mark

I hope they do the right thing and just send you some new ones.

GunFrogg

Quote from: Mike on December 23, 2016, 08:41:55 AM

Well . . . now that's a new one. Talk about an unusual magazine failure.

Am very interested in what Remington's response is. . . please share what they say about this Mike.
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight