• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

slide action pull

Started by bzangor1, September 02, 2016, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slide Action Pull:  Light, Medium, or Heavy/Hard

Light
5 (27.8%)
Medium/Average
8 (44.4%)
Heavy/Hard
4 (22.2%)
Other
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

bzangor1

The R-51 is promoted as having a "light" slide action pull.
Is this your experience?  Please rate the slide action pull as: Light, Medium, or Heavy. 

bzangor1

I vote "heavy".  Mine is very difficult compared to other 'semi-autos' I have.

Jake7757

I voted other, if I use the over hand method it's medium
if I use the sling shot method it's heavy
AKA Jake Chandler

Chuck S

Ya gotta compare this to other pistols of the same size which seem to be .380ACP blowbacks which are extremely difficult to rack,  The R51 is a baby compared to a Beretta 84 or 85 which requires many folks to manually cock the hammer first.

Sling shot grip is very ineffective.

-- Chuck

DanOh

At first mine was pretty stiff, after shooting about 700 rounds it's easing up. It seems to take a good overhand grip and quick snap action racking.  Much easier than some other straight blowbacks I own.

berettaprofessor

My slide action pull is easy as long as there is not a loaded mag in the gun.  If there is a full 7 rounds in the mag, it can be difficult to chamber the first round.

lklawson

Quote from: berettaprofessor on September 05, 2016, 02:12:56 PM
My slide action pull is easy as long as there is not a loaded mag in the gun.  If there is a full 7 rounds in the mag, it can be difficult to chamber the first round.
It sounds a little like the Hesitation Block is dragging against the magazine or top round.  If I may offer two suggestions:

First, before inserting a magazine, rack the slide.  Because the R51 is a Single Action Only, Hammer Fired pistol, the slide must cock back the hammer.  If the hammer is forward, uncocked, then the user must work against the force of both the Recoil Spring and the Hammer Spring.  If your block is dragging against the top of the mag/top-round then this will eliminate one more thing (the Hammer Spring) to manually work against.  I also teach this for SAO Hammer Fired guns with an exposed hammer.  Thumb-cock the hammer before racking a round into the chamber.  Just makes it a tad easier.

Second, lock the slide back before inserting a magazine, then do an over-hand rack release of the slide lock.  This will keep the slide from dragging against the top of the mag/top-round.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

bzangor1

Thanks for all the great info.  I agree with "other": overhand medium, sling shot heavy.  So... I'm not alone.
Iklawson's comments are very interesting; I'll try them.  Thanks all.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chuck S on September 03, 2016, 02:57:49 PM
Ya gotta compare this to other pistols of the same size which seem to be .380ACP blowbacks which are extremely difficult to rack,  The R51 is a baby compared to a Beretta 84 or 85 which requires many folks to manually cock the hammer first.

-- Chuck

Chuck S, You are right. I have an RIA Baby Rock 1911 in .380. My 1911s are easier to rack. I use the table on the range to tack the Rock. (Old Fart)
So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on September 06, 2016, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: berettaprofessor on September 05, 2016, 02:12:56 PM
It sounds a little like the Hesitation Block is dragging against the magazine or top round.  If I may offer two suggestions:

First, before inserting a magazine, rack the slide.  Because the R51 is a Single Action Only, Hammer Fired pistol, the slide must cock back the hammer.  If the hammer is forward, uncocked, then the user must work against the force of both the Recoil Spring and the Hammer Spring.  If your block is dragging against the top of the mag/top-round then this will eliminate one more thing (the Hammer Spring) to manually work against.  I also teach this for SAO Hammer Fired guns with an exposed hammer.  Thumb-cock the hammer before racking a round into the chamber.  Just makes it a tad easier.

Second, lock the slide back before inserting a magazine, then do an over-hand rack release of the slide lock.  This will keep the slide from dragging against the top of the mag/top-round.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I am with you, every semi auto I have ever racked went easier with the hammer back, just keep your finger off the trigger.  :={

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chuck S on September 03, 2016, 02:57:49 PM

-- Chuck

I compared the R51 to my P38 and CZ82. It takes more effort to rack the R51 than either of the other two. All are blowbacks.

oldmagnolia

Well for whatever reason my pistol will not chamber the first round on a full magazine unless I lock the slide back.  I cannot chamber the first round on a full magazine unless I do this.  I stated in an earlier post that with less than seven in the mag the pistol functions normally.  This is a minor issue and I can deal with it.  I have been doing a bit more shooting with mine and have had no other issues of any kind.  So far I am pleased with my purchase and now need a holster.

iquit

my vote goes that it gets better after a break in period. I would have said hard now I am down to medium. maybe I am just getting used to it but it really seems easier now than when I first bought it.

sirbrian

I had the same problem of not being able to chamber a round with a fully loaded magazine.

Read my fix in the "1st round chambering" post. I modified the magazine and have put several hundred rounds through it with no issues.

1911SHOOTER

Remington's website states, "the extremely light slide-racking force makes it slick to operate, and an ideal choice for those with smaller hand/reduced grip strength. (scroll right to the last dot on the page to "Easy Does It").
     BS! I am 81 and find it hard to rack the slide on my R51. Cleaning it is out of the question,
I can get the slide off if I use a pair of
channel locks to hold the barrel around the grooves. I have yet to get the barrel and
action spring out of the slide. And, yes, I know it is a no-no to use the pliers, but it is that or
not cleaning the barrel, and breech block. 

https://www.remington.com/handguns/remington-r51