• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Slide Issue

Started by bonorden, August 25, 2016, 06:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonorden

Let me start by saying that I really like the feel and accuracy of the R51.  However, I have an issue with my R51 that I haven't seen posted.

When I have a full magazine (all 7 rounds) and insert the magazine while the slide is pulled back, the magazine inserts properly.  I can release the slide and the first bullet gets chambered.  Perfect!

However, if my slide is closed and I insert the magazine (with all 7 rounds), it goes in, but has a little different feel to it.  But it is still properly secured.  The issue is that under this circumstance, I cannot put the slide all the way back...maybe it goes back 1/2 to 3/4 ways.  If I drop the magazine out, the bullet (or now I'm using snap caps) will have a little mark on the top side of the bullet.  I do not have this problem if there are only 6 bullets in the magazine.  It does this for both magazines.

I've field stripped it many times to see if Pederson device is in the proper spot or if there is anything between it and the slide or if there is any signs of wear.  I don't see any issue.

Is this a problem or just normal operation?

bonorden

I went to a local gun range and rented their R51.  Using their R51, I inserted a full magazine (7) with the slide closed...and then was able to pull the slide back fully and then release to let a bullet load into the chamber.

How does your R51 handle a full magazine when the slide is closed?

berettaprofessor

I have the same issue.  When I pull the slide hard enough, it will more back far enough to pick up and chamber a round.  Doesn't happen unless the mag is full with 7 rounds.  Seems to be getting easier as I shoot the gun.

bonorden

I talked to Remington...they said it shouldn't be like that...so I sent it to them to determine what is going on.

I thought it could be the tight springs in my magazine, so I rented a R51 at a local gun range.  The rental did not have the issue.  I tried their magazine in my R51 and still had the same issue...this is why Remington wanted me to send the pistol to them.

DanOh

Interesting, I've not actually tried that with mine, but now I will.  My normal routine is to lock the slide back, insert a fully loaded mag, and hit the slide release. I have sort of weak hands anyway and found that pulling the slide back to chamber the first round can cause my AR9 to stovepipe the first round, my Bodyguard is the same way and I figured it was caused by me not being quick enough or strong enough to get the slide all the way back and release it cleanly, as though I was "riding" the slide and causing the problem myself. From that, my normal routine is to use the "slide release".   Like I said, I'm going to try this and see what happens and I'll get back to the thread with the results.

ZeroPoint

Quote from: bonorden on August 25, 2016, 06:16:28 AM
Let me start by saying that I really like the feel and accuracy of the R51.  However, I have an issue with my R51 that I haven't seen posted.

When I have a full magazine (all 7 rounds) and insert the magazine while the slide is pulled back, the magazine inserts properly.  I can release the slide and the first bullet gets chambered.  Perfect!

However, if my slide is closed and I insert the magazine (with all 7 rounds), it goes in, but has a little different feel to it.  But it is still properly secured.  The issue is that under this circumstance, I cannot put the slide all the way back...maybe it goes back 1/2 to 3/4 ways.  If I drop the magazine out, the bullet (or now I'm using snap caps) will have a little mark on the top side of the bullet.  I do not have this problem if there are only 6 bullets in the magazine.  It does this for both magazines.

I've field stripped it many times to see if Pederson device is in the proper spot or if there is anything between it and the slide or if there is any signs of wear.  I don't see any issue.

Is this a problem or just normal operation?

I have the exact same issue, only way I can shoot it with a full mag. is to lock the slide back, insert mag. and trip the release, doing it that way it runs flawlessly. Did Remington tell you how long it would take them to fix it?

bonorden

They said it would be at least six weeks.  It appears all R51 repairs are being fixed by a gun shop in Alabama.  I talked to them about 3-4 weeks after I sent it in...he hadn't gotten to it yet...but said he hadn't heard of this problem.  It will be interesting to see how it is fixed...if it comes back with an explanation, then I will share the details along with the turn-around time.

ZeroPoint

Thanks, waiting on your reply from Remington, I think I'll just shoot mine for awhile as it's a good shooter and send it in later if there is a factory fix.

oldmagnolia

My R51 has this issue and I am very much interested in the answer from Remington.

bonorden

Ok...I've got some feedback from the gun shop that Remington has repairing the R51s.  They believe it is a magazine issue (even though it is a Gen2 magazine).  He said Remington is redesigning the magazine (again).  However, they do not have a timetable for when the new magazines will be available...sigh...my R51 was shipped to them on September 1...coming on 7 weeks.  And they are not completely sure this will fix the issue.

I really thought they would have worked out all the kinks after Gen1...

lklawson

Quote from: bonorden on October 19, 2016, 04:18:07 PMHe said Remington is redesigning the magazine (again).
I'm not surprised.  It appears that some people are having nosedive issues with flat nosed (such as many hollow point) ammunition in the magazines.  They nose down juuuusssst enough to catch on the front "lip" of the magazine body.  This doesn't seem to affect cone shaped bullets such as FMJ, Pow'rBall, or Critical Defense/Duty.  I believe that one user posting here has reduced the front of his magazine body as an experiment and reported success.  Dremel FTW!  ;)

I have seen what I believe to be indications of the bullet scraping on the front of the magazine body.

I might give the front lip of my Gen 1 magazine body a dremel treatment too.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

RED HORSE

Quote from: bonorden on October 19, 2016, 04:18:07 PM
Ok...I've got some feedback from the gun shop that Remington has repairing the R51s.  They believe it is a magazine issue (even though it is a Gen2 magazine).  He said Remington is redesigning the magazine (again).  However, they do not have a timetable for when the new magazines will be available...sigh...my R51 was shipped to them on September 1...coming on 7 weeks.  And they are not completely sure this will fix the issue.

I really thought they would have worked out all the kinks after Gen1...

After the eternal wait for my Gen 2 I would have to be really desperate before sending anything back to Remington again for a fix.

bonorden

The gun shop doing R51 repairs said they have received a lot of R51s in the last week.

I agree with Red Horse...I wouldn't send my R51 back unless it was absolutely necessary.

To Remington's defense, they could send me my R51 back unrepaired...but then they wouldn't know if their "magazine fix" would work (and I would be back to the end of the line if I sent it back to them later)...

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: bonorden on October 20, 2016, 09:08:59 PM
The gun shop doing R51 repairs said they have received a lot of R51s in the last week.

I agree with Red Horse...I wouldn't send my R51 back unless it was absolutely necessary.

To Remington's defense, they could send me my R51 back unrepaired...but then they wouldn't know if their "magazine fix" would work (and I would be back to the end of the line if I sent it back to them later)...

What is the name of the outfit doing the repairs.? Any contact info?
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on October 21, 2016, 11:16:27 AM
Quote from: bonorden on October 20, 2016, 09:08:59 PM

What is the name of the outfit doing the repairs.? Any contact info?
Mine went to Mark's Outdoor Sports, ims.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk