• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Chambering round

Started by bzangor1, August 24, 2016, 04:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzangor1

Slide: video shows lady chambering with one finger.
My new gen 2 R51 takes an 800 pound gorilla.  It no way can be done nearly as easy as the video. Also same for thumb release. Very tough.  I am assured that my new R51 purchase AFTER Aug12 (by a couple of days) is the new one, but
it is stamped Charlotte on the frame.  Anyone else with this situation?

Chuck S

The slide stop can certainly be used as a slide release but against slide spring pressure it's best left times you only have one hand available.  But one finger?  Nope.  And there's an almost sharp corner that I felt when I tried it 10 seconds ago.

Not sure what you mean by "chambering."  I retract the slide to load, unload, and perform immediate action.

Mine is also marked Charlotte.  00320xxR51

-- Chuck

lklawson

Remington says to reciprocate the slide to chamber a round, they don't say use the Slide Stop as a Slide Release.

https://www.remington.com/sites/default/files/documents/R51_MANUAL_REV_12-2015_FINAL_sm.pdf

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

DanOh

It is mentioned that some R51s are stamped with "Charlotte", aren't they all?  Mine too is stamped with the same, what other location is stamped on the new R51s?  Thanks, and there is no way mine will chamber a round with one finger either.

ZeroPoint

Quote from: DanOh on September 17, 2016, 09:39:09 AM
It is mentioned that some R51s are stamped with "Charlotte", aren't they all?  Mine too is stamped with the same, what other location is stamped on the new R51s?  Thanks, and there is no way mine will chamber a round with one finger either.
I was under the impression these GEN 2 guns are all made in Huntsville,Al, but mine is a SN 0014___ and says Charlotte,NC on it. And my slide can be pulled back some with one finger but not more than halfway.

DanOh

Quote from: ZeroPoint on September 18, 2016, 08:03:21 PM
I was under the impression these GEN 2 guns are all made in Huntsville,Al, but mine is a SN 0014___ and says Charlotte,NC on it. And my slide can be pulled back some with one finger but not more than halfway.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that.  Does anyone have a R51 with the Huntsville stamp?

valvestem

Mine is Charlotte, bought three days ago in Maine.

RED HORSE

I read on another forum that Remington was simply using up frames that had been produced before the move to Alabama.  When existing inventory is gone then the frames will reflect the name of the new facility.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on September 20, 2016, 07:52:21 AM
Quote from: ZeroPoint on September 18, 2016, 08:03:21 PM

Thanks for the info, I did not know that.  Does anyone have a R51 with the Huntsville stamp?

My R51 is also a Charlotte gun. And I cannot rack the slide with one finger. The spring is too strong I believe.
So many guns, so little time!