• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 not dead

Started by Leed709, August 16, 2016, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leed709

Picked up a new R51 yesterday. at a local gun shop. Came in a nice green box with 2 magazines a lock and booklet. On top of the box was a label that said not to display or sell until august 12, 2016. I guess Remington finally decided to release the R51. If you are interested in the R51 there are some very good videos on u tube about this firearm.

Chuck S

Mine came on 19 August.  Still has the North Carolina address on the frame but it appears to be a Gen2 pistol and has a "couple hundred" rounds of 9mm NATO (M882 Ball) and a box or two of Winchester 147 grain JHPs thru it without a hiccup.

-- Chuck

Robert

Nice to hear about new R51 guns being sold now.

I request photos from both of you.

If you have trouble posting photos you can email them directly to me and I'll post them for you, just be sure to tell me who you are, what your forum name is and the photo is for your forum post if you email me.

Email: ncwonline at gmail.com

Thanks
Robert

lincen

I was an early buyer of the first generation R51 and must have had one of the better ones. But after the voluntary recall I decided to take the R1-1911 in trade. It is a fine shooting handgun as well as the RM 380. Last week I bought the second generation R51 and must send it back to Remington. It is little more than a single shot pistol. Numerous FTE and FTF. Tried 4 types of factory ammo, two bullet weights, and both generation of magazines, same results. Now I'm not trashing the R51 as I want it to work for mainly a range gun with occasional carry duty.

Robert

Quote from: lincen on August 25, 2016, 04:31:51 AM
I was an early buyer of the first generation R51 and must have had one of the better ones. But after the voluntary recall I decided to take the R1-1911 in trade. It is a fine shooting handgun as well as the RM 380. Last week I bought the second generation R51 and must send it back to Remington. It is little more than a single shot pistol. Numerous FTE and FTF. Tried 4 types of factory ammo, two bullet weights, and both generation of magazines, same results. Now I'm not trashing the R51 as I want it to work for mainly a range gun with occasional carry duty.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the new R51, hopfully remington will get it sorted out for you.

I'll probably end up waiting for a while for 2 reasons, one, I want to pay cash, not put it on my CC and so I know they have it sorted out. I'm just not in a hurry but I do fully intend to buy one.

I bought too many guns in 2015 and need to pay all that off before buying more.

Robert

TJB63

Cash is always best Robert,

I took a different approach, I wanted one of these back when they were 1st gen. They took them off the shelves so quick, I never got the chance. So this time around I ordered when before history repeats itself, and they disappear forever.

So far, mine's been 100% - Tomorrow I plan to order 1000 rounds of 9mm and put it through it's paces, I can't say all 1000 will go through it, But most will, I do like shooting my P7, So in any event, I hope my continues it's reliability streak, I really like the gun.

I hope Remington works out the kinks, they already have a bad rep from the 1st gen, I went to 3 Dealers before the release date, All three trashed it based off the problems of 2 years ago, 1 didn't even know they were being re-leashed, but still trashed it. the 4th guy, ordered it with no problem. So I'd say I hope they get it right this time, It's got a lot of potential as long as it's got the reliability worked out.

TJ

Chuck S

Here's mine with the NC markings.  Bought it 10 days ago.

-- Chuck

DanOh

Does anyone own a gen 1 R51 that works and they kept it?  Does it rack easy as compared to the new ones?  I'd love to have a recoil spring out of the gen 1 guns to try in my new gun.  I have over one thousand rounds through my gun now and haven't had a problem since the first time I took it to the range, and I'm convinced that was break in issues now.  Love the R51..