• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Rechamber to 38super or 9x23

Started by mr220v, February 24, 2020, 07:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr220v

Has anybody tried rechambering an r51 for 38super or 9x23.  I noticed the mags were long enough to accommodate the longer rounds.  It would only be a matter of reaming the chamber, and bending the top of the mag out.....for 9x23 anyway.  38 super has the wider rim.

The r51 mags also look like they accommodate wider rounds as well.  Long enough for 10mm.  Wide enough for 45acp.

mr220v

One other observation......the r51 has problems feeding.  Could this be because we're basically using a 45acp mag for 9mm?  The rm380 gets a nice spacer in the back of the mag to fit the 380.  Why doesn't the r51 get this?

FlatEarther

Many of suspect the mags cause most of the feed problems with the R51.
It always seemed to me the single V groove down each side of the mag causes the rounds to bind.
If you look down the top of a loaded mag you'll see the individual rounds randomly twist either way until they bind against the V grooves.
A second groove or single flat section would keep the rounds aligned and feed easier... Joe

springfield art

This nice little pistol has enough things going on
with it, it certainly doesn't need to be rechambered
for anything. There's plenty of actual, originally
chambered guns out there. It's good that people
are thinking outside the box, I guess. IMHO.

raycirx

I don't know if it' s such a good idea.  I used to have a Pontiac Fiero, cool car, it had a plastic body with a tube steel frame like a race car. It was designed for a four or six cylinder engine. Because it was light and strong people would drop a big V-8 in it. That woudl usually ruin the car. The suspension was not designed for that much power, neither was the transmission, you had to gut the car to do it and replace pretty much all the internals. That's a long way around to say that the R-51 is designated to  be able to handle +P 9mm ammunition which has a SAAMI rating of a max of 38,500 psi. You might successfully mod it to .38 super which has a SAAMI rating of 36,500. But 9x23 has a SAAMI rating of 55,000 psi,t hat's way too high to safely use. I  have no experience with this pistol yet (just got it) but read soemwhere that using +p reguarly will shorten its life span, I have to imagine .38 super would do the same. Which is a shame, becuase I really like shooting .38 super.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: mr220v on February 24, 2020, 07:54:10 AM
One other observation......the r51 has problems feeding.  Could this be because we're basically using a 45acp mag for 9mm?  The rm380 gets a nice spacer in the back of the mag to fit the 380.  Why doesn't the r51 get this?

Lookie lookie

Dug these old pics up from a thread I started a long time ago. 45 ACP fits like a glove. Go get you a 1911 mag and stick it up the mag well. Let me know how it fits. I've tried it! Lol
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: mr220v on February 24, 2020, 07:27:46 AM
Has anybody tried rechambering an r51 for 38super or 9x23.  I noticed the mags were long enough to accommodate the longer rounds.  It would only be a matter of reaming the chamber, and bending the top of the mag out.....for 9x23 anyway.  38 super has the wider rim.

The r51 mags also look like they accommodate wider rounds as well.  Long enough for 10mm.  Wide enough for 45acp.

The mags aren't long enough for a standard 38 Superb OAL. I checked 4 different 38 Superb rounds and none fit, even if the bend on the front of the mag is straightened. I thought about making a few dummy rounds with a shorter OAL to see if they'd at least feed from the mag into the chamber so if I do I'll let you guys know. Supercomp brass doesn't have the semi-rim so if they feed and the chamber were reamed it might just work. If nothing else, one could use low pressure reloads and have a unique conversation piece at the range. I bet the R51 could handle a steady diet of full power 38 Superb though.

funflyer

Well, a 102 grain round nose with an oal of 1.220" will fit in the mag and will also feed smoothly from the magazine into the chamber. It also appears that the semi-rim will work as well. Here's a pic with a 9mm under the 38. So who's going to be the first to give it a go?

lklawson

Quote from: raycirx on April 27, 2020, 09:02:18 PM
I don't know if it' s such a good idea.  I used to have a Pontiac Fiero, cool car, it had a plastic body with a tube steel frame like a race car. It was designed for a four or six cylinder engine. Because it was light and strong people would drop a big V-8 in it. That woudl usually ruin the car. The suspension was not designed for that much power, neither was the transmission, you had to gut the car to do it and replace pretty much all the internals. That's a long way around to say that the R-51 is designated to  be able to handle +P 9mm ammunition which has a SAAMI rating of a max of 38,500 psi. You might successfully mod it to .38 super which has a SAAMI rating of 36,500. But 9x23 has a SAAMI rating of 55,000 psi,t hat's way too high to safely use. I  have no experience with this pistol yet (just got it) but read soemwhere that using +p reguarly will shorten its life span, I have to imagine .38 super would do the same. Which is a shame, becuase I really like shooting .38 super.
When the pistol first came out, Remington said they were planning on offering a .40S&W version and there was rampant speculation about a .357 Sig version based on the .40S&W.

Of course, the .40 version wasn't even vaporware and may not have worked anyway, even had they tried it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

sebvox

I was always hoping for the updated version of the model 53 which was the .45 ACP version of the model 51.  Supposedly the Marines preferred it over the Colt 1911.  Who knows, it could still happen...  R53?
- Erik

R51Fan2017

Quote from: sebvox on May 18, 2020, 12:45:55 PM
I was always hoping for the updated version of the model 53 which was the .45 ACP version of the model 51.  Supposedly the Marines preferred it over the Colt 1911.  Who knows, it could still happen...  R53?

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/remington-m53/

^^^^^^ This!!!!!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

mr220v

Quote from: raycirx on April 27, 2020, 09:02:18 PM
I don't know if it' s such a good idea.  I used to have a Pontiac Fiero, cool car, it had a plastic body with a tube steel frame like a race car. It was designed for a four or six cylinder engine. Because it was light and strong people would drop a big V-8 in it. That woudl usually ruin the car. The suspension was not designed for that much power, neither was the transmission, you had to gut the car to do it and replace pretty much all the internals.

A v8 in a fiero is a great swap.  Especially if you use the 5l fwd ls4 from the impalas.  The supercharged v6 from the grandprix is good too, and a whole lot easier.  If you go from an iron 6 to an aluminum 8, the weight gain is minimal.