• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New member with questions

Started by Pointman, January 01, 2020, 05:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointman

Hi, just ordered a R51 and need to find out what ammo these pistols like.
Break-in and range FMJ ammo; will it feed steel cased? What works?
Bullet weight; 115, 124, or 135 grain?
Carry ammo; does Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty feed well?
I've read the posts on fixing the possible magazine and other possible problems. Good info.

I'm hoping this gun will run reliable enough for me to make it one of my carry pieces.

More questions later.

scouts owner

Welcome and congratulations on your new piece. Both of mine are reliable, the Charlotte model needed a mag tweak and the Huntsville ran great out of the box. Most of my range time has been standard ball but I have used some hollow points as well and had no problems. Never tried any steel cased rounds. Pretty sure you will have similar results.

lklawson

Quote from: Pointman on January 01, 2020, 05:42:15 PM
Hi, just ordered a R51 and need to find out what ammo these pistols like.
Break-in and range FMJ ammo; will it feed steel cased? What works?
Bullet weight; 115, 124, or 135 grain?
Carry ammo; does Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty feed well?
I've read the posts on fixing the possible magazine and other possible problems. Good info.

I'm hoping this gun will run reliable enough for me to make it one of my carry pieces.

More questions later.
Mine likes 115gr ball and 124gr Critical Duty.

I have some Remington HP's I need to test.

I strongly recommend plunk testing any ammo before shooting it.  Even factory ammo.  The three barrels I've had have all had a very short Leade.  Probably SAAMI minimum.  Take the barrel out and plunk before you shoot any ammo.  I have some factory fresh 124gr. Winchester WinClean which engaged the rifling when plunked.  :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Swschu

I haven't tried steel cases, but my R51 uses any commercial type of 9mm. It is one of the pistols that I shoot the best. I carry with Hornady.

Pointman

Thanks for the replies. I'm making notes.

Zenshot

Mine has been 100% with Inceptor ARX ammo.
-David

Pointman

Just got an email from Buds gun shop saying my R51 shipped today. I'll pick it up next week.

R51Fan2017

Welcome aboard Pointman!

So far I have run nearly everything through mine including aluminum and critical defense, but excluding steel case, and have had a 100% success rate. I hope you are met with good results too!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

4 Ghost

Quote from: Pointman on January 09, 2020, 09:57:46 PM
Just got an email from Buds gun shop saying my R51 shipped today. I'll pick it up next week.
. Did you pick your R51 up yet?

Jake7757

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new R-51
Which one did you buy from Buds?
AKA Jake Chandler

Pointman

Quote from: 4 Ghost on January 18, 2020, 08:40:59 PM
. Did you pick your R51 up yet?

Yes I did. Hope to shoot it today! Will report back after firing it.

Pointman

OK shot the new R51 for first time today. I have four magazines. Loaded all up with seven. All shot fine with no hick-ups, no feed problems. Then picked two of the mags and shot 7+1. Again all ran smoothly. I like this pistol!

It does shoot low, even aiming center verses the six o'clock target picture.

Ammo shot was Fiocchi 124 gr. FMJ 1150 FPS

I bought a holster  and mag pouch from "Simply Rugged". Holster is made to fit the Crimsom Trace laser. I installed the laser after I shot all the rounds today so the shooting was iron sights.

Tried to attach holster pictures but it said file to big.

Pointman

Reduced size pictures .....trying  again

Pointman

Anviljk