• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

r 51 videos

Started by scouts owner, May 26, 2019, 11:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scouts owner

I watched several youtube reviews of the pistol yesterday. Uniformly negative with only a couple exceptions. Even the two that spoke well of the guns function felt obliged to say they could not recommend it as their "carry:"gun". Group think in action is the only explanation. The fear of losing street cred with the reviewing community keeps the gun from being favorably reviewed.
As the owner of two 51s, both second gen one Charlottesville and one Huntsville, my hands on experience has been very positive. The Charlottesville model needed a couple magazine tweaks and the Huntsville unit only needed a cleaning to perform as expected.
The mystery is that the reviewers seemed to expect flawless operation  out of the box. For a group who consider themselves to be gun authorities that is a peculiar position to take. Mastering a set of skills needed to be a credible sage includes understanding the machine and being able to make the small changes to achieve the desired results. The fact that almost all of them complained about the tear down and reassembly  highlights the mind set. If you only want to disassemble 1911's only review 1911's.
Bottom line; .1.  Reviews by the over matched will never become positive. 2. Anything new or challenging meets that criteria. 3. Over weight, bearded, rednecks in t shirts are not the best source of gun reviews.
BTW..... I am an overweight bearded redneck who is wearing a t shirt but I was smarter than the gun. Needed to get this off my chest.

Swschu

My R51 shoots flawlessly and I am more precise with it than any other of my pistols....I carry it. Takedown and reassembly is simple.

FlatEarther

Agreed scouts... My R51 has been less than reliable, but I know many have had no unusual problems... and yes the take down "difficulty" seems exaggerated.
Definitely a few drama queens out there - Joe

Zenshot

There is definitely a lot of groupthink on the video reviews.  It seems to be a bias against Remington too.  A Sig or Ruger that has major problems seems to get a pass but everyone wants to bash Remington.
-David