• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Monarch 115gr ammo

Started by lklawson, May 06, 2019, 07:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lklawson

Took my R51 and two boxes of Monarch 115 gr. ammunition to the range.  First round failed to chamber properly.  After seating it still didn't "feel" right.  So I dropped the mag and went to eject the round.  It wouldn't eject.  Slide was locked up.

I've seen this before with some of my hand-loaded HC and Coated HC bullets.  The ogive of the bullet was engaging past the leade of the chamber.  The bullet was engaging the rifling, basically.  Bad juju.  I braced the rear sight on the wood shooting table.  I love the rear sight on the R51.  When I finally managed to eject the round, I found that perfect scuff mark ring on the ogive.  I fed a box of the Moarch to my Sub 2000, which has a looser chamber and is blow-back anyway.  I pulled out some of the last remaining hand-loaded bullets I have that don't cause chamber problems.  The were from SNS Casting, but they've discontinued that mold and started something else.  While they don't over-pressure the gun, the loaded cartridges don't feed well.

Most of the time, factory loaded cartridges are fine but I have to be super careful and "pre-test" them before I run them. 

I know that having a SAMMI minimum spec chamber theoretically makes the gun more accurate but it truly is one of the most frustrating things about this gun. 

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk