• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Disassembly Tooling

Started by GerryR, January 23, 2019, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryR

I've come up with some tooling that makes it rather easy to remove the slide from the frame and getting them back together again.  Also there is a "thumb pusher" that fits over the barrel lugs so you don't annihilate your thumb when pushing the barrel against the recoil spring.  If there is any interest, let me know and I will come up with a price for a set.  :)

This was my first cut at a tool; more complicated to use than the one below.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!

shinerjohn

GerryR

I have a second version that I hope to finish today, fewer parts and easier to use, so should be less costly.  I'll post a picture when done, with some pricing.  Thanks for your interest.

Engineerpower

Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

GerryR

This is Concept 2 of the tool.  It is much simpler and easier to use.

Latch the slide back. Slip the tool over the barrel and snug, not gorilla-tighten, the brass-nosed thumbscrew.  It grabs on the barrel rings.  Slowly release the slide; it will stop at the tool and is in position for the slide catch / take-down lever to be removed.  Remove it and take the slide off the frame.  You can then remove the tool if you want to remove the barrel from the slide.  The "thumb pusher" comes in handy at this point.
You put the thumb pusher on the barrel lug and push the barrel slightly forward to release spring pressure and then loosen the thumbscrew and let the barrel come back slowly.  You basically reverse the procedure to get the slide back on.  That's about it.  I'll come up with a price for both the disassembly tool and the thumb pusher as a kit.  Thanks for looking.

Engineerpower

I like it!

v3.0 should remove the thrumbscrew and feature internal 1/2-28 threads for anyone who's upgraded to a threaded barrel..  ;)
Cameron Husk

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

GerryR

Cameron,
           If you let me know the total or added length that the threaded barrel is compared to the standard barrel, I'll make one so you can give it a try.
Gerry

Engineerpower

Cameron Husk

GerryR

Here you go - where do you want it sent?

If I did the math correctly, you should latch the slide back, slide this tool over the barrel and thread it on until the end of the barrel is flush with the end of the tool.  When you release the slide, it will stop at the tool and be in the right position to remove the slide catch / take-down lever.  If it isn't perfectly aligned, you can screw the tool in or out to get it aligned and remove the lever and then the slide.

I'll send along a thumb-pusher so you can play with that, as well.  :)

Engineerpower

PM sent! More than happy to do a write-up for the forum  :D
Cameron Husk

GerryR

GerryR

I have finished 5 sets of the disassembly tooling.  Each set consists of the barrel mounted R51 Field Stripping tool and the barrel Thumb Pusher.  They are $38.50 per set, shipped to lower 48.  I do accept credit cards.  If interested in a set, PM me, and I will email you ordering details.

I've tried each set on my pistol, so if you have any problems, you will have to let me know, as I may need to change some tolerances / dimensions, but I do not expect anyone to have any problems.  If, by chance, you do have a problem, you can return the tool(s), and I will make sure you get one that works for your pistol.

I also have a tool that fits on the threaded barrels, 1/2-28 RH or 13.5 x 1 mm LH, your choice with a Thumb Pusher, for the same price.  The standard barrel tool is steel; the threaded barrel tool is aluminum, as shown above.

shinerjohn

I sent you a PM.  My pistol is still at Remington.  They sent an email that they started evaluating it on Jan. 22.  So, hopefully, I'll get 'er back WORKING soon!

GerryR

3 sets left, 2 sold.  (Buy all you want, I'll make more!)  ;)  I have a nice set of instructions, with pictures, that shows how to use the tools, that I send along in the package.

R51Fan2017

Been away for a week, but all I can say is that I am impressed! May have to spring for one next pay check!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder