• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Is Remington still making R51's?

Started by ulflyer, January 02, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

I also emailed Remington regarding the status of the R51. The reply was that at this time there has been no decision whether it will be discontinued or not.  I mentioned that from people I know of who actually own one, the feedback is very positive and that the design is truly unique in the current sea of plastec striker fired 9mm single stacks.
-David

Indyman

I received the following reply after asking if their were any plans for producing the R51 in the future ...

mr220v

They'll replace it with a scaled down single stack rp9 that uses r51 magazines.  It will sell and work much better.

Zenshot

My thought is that if Remington redesigned the magazines, then that would take care of 99.9% of any existing issues with the R51.
-David

lklawson

Quote from: Zenshot on February 28, 2019, 06:59:18 AM
My thought is that if Remington redesigned the magazines, then that would take care of 99.9% of any existing issues with the R51.
99.9% of feeding issues in semi-auto handguns are related the the magazine.

The 1911 is a 110 year old design so you'd think that they'd have all the mag issues sorted out by now and NO ONE would make a bad or unreliable mag.  But if you go to a 1911 forum and report that you're getting feeding issues, the first things they're going to recommend are magazine related.  Did you try a different mag?  Did you dump the "cheap garbage mags" and buy some "quality mags" (I think Chip McCormick mags are usually recommended).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

470Evans

Unfortunately, I think the fact that it's not in the 2019 Remington PDF catalog tells us it's over.

If it was a manufacturing hiatus to allow sales to catch up it would still be listed in the catalog.

funflyer

Quote from: Zenshot on February 28, 2019, 06:59:18 AM

This would definitely be a viable fix for all the issues we've been hearing about with the R51. Remington should have contracted their magazine production to whoever produces mags for S&W.

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: 470Evans on February 28, 2019, 12:28:22 PM
Unfortunately, I think the fact that it's not in the 2019 Remington PDF catalog tells us it's over.

If it was a manufacturing hiatus to allow sales to catch up it would still be listed in the catalog.

They are still listed on the website though! Probably matters more than the catalog. ;D  I bet more people go to a website for information on a product than a paper catalog..

lklawson

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Remington (or anyone, really) has a downloadable PDF catalog.  But, strangely, most firearms manufactures still seem to.  <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Hrfunk

The thing that strikes me about the prospect of the R51 being discontinued is the potential for it to become a "collector's item" despite its tumultuous production run. In fact, that might even enhance its collectability. Kind of like the "Edsel" of firearms.

Howard

Gewehr98

I see in today's news that Remington's Ilion and Huntsville facilities are laying off 200 people.  Production is definitely slowing down if that's the case...

mr220v

Might be time to get ready for that big clearance sale then. 

Zenshot

Email Remington and tell them how much you like your R51 and are looking forward to the continued development of the design.  Give them some encouragement from those of us who actually own the R51 and how it's a superior platform for concealed carry compared to the generic plastic Glock knock offs.
-David

mr220v

What is the best email?

I can say that i like it, but im not sure that my gun tastes are mainstream. 

That and I suspect that the r51 is a good bit more expensive to produce vs plastic framed guns.  This is probably the reason why we have seen so many QC issues.  At $200, Remington is struggling to break even.  Poor QC leads to bad reviews leads to even worse QC leads to more bad reviews.  Kind of a death spiral that can only be stopped by dumping even more money into the project.  Money they dont have.  Im sure the new management from Taurus is looking at the R51 and wondering why it's still around.  Just a high cost of production offering that hasn't been able to justify itself.

The good news is that current r51s are running well.  Sootch gave some lukewarm positive reviews, maybe to be followed up by some glowing reviews later.  If the r51 can get past the youtube trolls, maybe it can start to sell.

springfield art

Hello,
Everyone; We've seen on the news that Remington is now going to be sued by the Sandy Hook activists for the Company's  'advertising focus'. This was reported 3/14/19 nationally. So the company will be fighting off expensive lawsuits; no matter which side wins, Remington will be in a deep ditch. The complaint seems to be about the way the advertising read for the AR type rifles. This has made a rift in the immunity clause the firearms companies had. Keep yourselves informed.