• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

7 + 1

Started by shinerjohn, December 28, 2018, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinerjohn

Have any of you been able to load 7 + 1 and have the pistol function properly through all 8 rounds?

Zenshot

Not mine.  Sometimes it works but sometimes it will double feed.  Always works 6+1, so that's how I carry it.

I understand that some other handguns have the same issue, so it's not completely unique to the R51.
-David

shinerjohn

Mine won't either.  I have 10 additional semi-automatics and all of them work with mag capacity +1.  Mine works usually with 7 rounds. I have issued a problem report with Remington. I'm hoping the newest magazines have their tolerances perfect!

We shall see!  Thanks for responding..

Zenshot

HR Funk uploaded some YouTube videos and posts here on the forum a few months ago and reported the same problem.  After a couple of return trips  to Remington, it appears that Remington fixed the problem by doing some polishing and minor machining to the Pederson block. 
-David

shinerjohn

Cool!
I watched Sootch's video, but he only loaded 7 rounds each time.  He never topped it off.

I'll see if I can find HRFunk's thread...

Thanks, Zen

ulflyer

Has anyone tried swapping a mag spring from a diff brand 9mm?  For example,  I have a Bersa BP9 with 8 round mags whose spring would likely work.  Don't yet have an R51 but seriously looking.

Zenshot

I put some Glock 43 mag springs in from Ghost Inc. It didn't solve the 7+1 double feed issue but I haven't had a nose dive malfunction since using the new springs.
-David

plunkster

CW3Retired

Since I shortened the followers on my magazines by about an 1/8 inch it has worked with full magazines without issue.

Vic

shinerjohn

I made one more trip to the range today. I tried all three of my gen 2 magazines with 7+1.  One 2 of them I had live ammo stove pipes on the last round.  On the other mag I had a nose dive on the first round. 

I've tried calling customer service but they are closed until Wednesday.  So I'll call them then and discuss the options.  I will keep y'all posted.

shinerjohn

I just got off the phone with Remington. I had talked to them on January 2. They were sending a box/envelope for me to return the pistol and mags. Unfortunately, it fell through the cracks. I was assured today that my packaging would be sent.  :P

Spitfireguy

Quote from: CW3Retired on December 31, 2018, 10:54:51 PM
Since I shortened the followers on my magazines by about an 1/8 inch it has worked with full magazines without issue.

Vic

Out of the box, If I inserted a full mag into the gun with the slide open, and then closed the slide to chamber, everything worked fine.  If I inserted a full magazine with the slide closed, and tried to rack the slide to chamber the first round - no dice, the slide couldn't quite clear the brass case head to feed the round properly.  Likewise trying to shoot in the 7+1 configuration resulted in failure to properly feed that first round from the magazine.

Following Vic's suggestion, I decided for one of my magazines to shorten the follower by a millimeter at the rear (I can always go in and remove more if needed).  At the front, I left the leading edge untouched (I decided to leave the support there to help prevent nosedives), but I then shaved an angled cut up to a millimeter toward the rear on both sides of that front leg.

At the range, this modified magazine experienced a major improvement; firing several 7+1 loadings with no issues (except for a couple that were really my fault - don't ride the slide forward, and make sure the magazine is fully inserted). 

Just to verify that I wasn't imagining my success, I saved that last rounds to shoot in my unmodified factory original mag.  Three tries (shooting 7+1)- first two wouldn't feed that first round from the magazine.  The third try fed the first round, but the second round nosedived.   :P  Yesterday, I did the same mod to the second magazine. will report back after I have a chance to try it out.

shinerjohn

Yes, do let us know...

Don't you think it's somewhat ridiculous for us (the consumers) to be forced to try to overcome the production failures of Remington?  Some have measured and adjusted the distance between the lips of the magazine.  Others have trimmed the magazine follower to change its height. Some have substituted magazine springs from other pistols.  And yet, several have received 100% functional R51s right out of the box!

When the R51 is working as intended, it is amazing and I love it!  I'm hoping Remington will fine tune mine as they did HR Funk's pistol.  Either that or replace it with a "100%er"!  I'll keep sending it back on their nickel until they get it right!   :o

lklawson

Quote from: shinerjohn on January 13, 2019, 07:34:47 PM
Yes, do let us know...

Don't you think it's somewhat ridiculous for us (the consumers) to be forced to try to overcome the production failures of Remington?  Some have measured and adjusted the distance between the lips of the magazine.  Others have trimmed the magazine follower to change its height. Some have substituted magazine springs from other pistols.  And yet, several have received 100% functional R51s right out of the box!

When the R51 is working as intended, it is amazing and I love it!  I'm hoping Remington will fine tune mine as they did HR Funk's pistol.  Either that or replace it with a "100%er"!  I'll keep sending it back on their nickel until they get it right!   :o
Meh.  Magazine flakes are a long time, well known, bugaboo for semi-auto pistols.  Check out the 1911 forums and history.  When new 1911 shooters start having feed problems the advice is ALWAYS to junk the current mag and buy an expensive one from a short-list manufacturer for $50 per mag.  Back before there was was a short-list of "high quality" mags, 1911 shooters would tweak their own mags, just like we're talking about here.  And this is a design that's more than a century old, you'd think they'd have it figured out now, right?  ;)

example: https://rangehot.com/1911-troubleshooting-feed-failures/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

shinerjohn

Kirk, interesting read.  One would think, indeed, that they would have 1911 mags down pat! 
Well, mine is on the way to Huntsville, AL!  Hope they get it right this time!