• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Redemption

Started by Hrfunk, August 18, 2018, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrfunk

Hi all! The R51 is back from Remington's warranty service. To see how it's running now, follow the link below!

HRF

https://youtu.be/e1spyYnDKjE

R51Fan2017

Howard,

Very happy for you that your R51 is working like she should!! Kudos to you for continuing to press Remington to make it right. I would have given up, and fixed it myself through trial and error. Fortunately mine worked just like that out of the box. I guess I got lucky. I will report back to you after this weekend on how mine does loading 7+1. I hope she runs like she should and doesn't give me my first failure! She's got a clean record, I would hate to mar it! Very happy for you, and please keep us posted with updates! Enjoy your new reliable R51!!

Sean
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Rog54

Hi Howard,
First of all Thank You for your diligence!
I really like the style, feel, (in hand and recoil), size, cost, etc. of this gun.
I am perplexed however and feel unnaturally lucky!  I have two R51's.  A black Charlotte gun from shortly after the re-release.  And a Smoke gray Huntsville gun.  After all the troubles I have read about I almost feel I am jinxing myself by writing this.  I have had only a few, 4-6 maybe, jambs, over 300 rnds per gun).  None like in your videos. Mine were straight up stove pipes.  How can some have so many issues and others a few?  Anyway to my question/comment.  I think you said the paperwork said they polished the ramp and blamed the magazine. The magazine statement seems like foder as I think you said some of your other mags. experienced the same issue.  So if they were the cause it should still remain with them, no?  So it begs the question, what did they do to make it function.  I mirror polished both mine before the first shot.  But I find it hard to believe unpolished feed ramps are causing these issue.  I also did the other mod on one mag even before my couple jambs, (shortening the follower legs).  those and unmodified work fine?  Again perplexed!  Any ideas what they did? 
Rog

funflyer

I thought he said they polished the "bolt". I assume that means they polished the Pedersen block? I'd be interested to see is it was just a polish or, if they removed material to relieve it somehow. Howard, please post some closeup pics of the block when you can. Anyway, glad to see it's running flawlessly now.

Hrfunk

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on August 18, 2018, 11:03:21 AM
Howard,

Very happy for you that your R51 is working like she should!! Kudos to you for continuing to press Remington to make it right. I would have given up, and fixed it myself through trial and error. Fortunately mine worked just like that out of the box. I guess I got lucky. I will report back to you after this weekend on how mine does loading 7+1. I hope she runs like she should and doesn't give me my first failure! She's got a clean record, I would hate to mar it! Very happy for you, and please keep us posted with updates! Enjoy your new reliable R51!!

Sean

Thank you Sean! Will do.

HRF

Hrfunk

Quote from: Rog54 on August 18, 2018, 01:01:32 PM
Hi Howard,
First of all Thank You for your diligence!
I really like the style, feel, (in hand and recoil), size, cost, etc. of this gun.
I am perplexed however and feel unnaturally lucky!  I have two R51's.  A black Charlotte gun from shortly after the re-release.  And a Smoke gray Huntsville gun.  After all the troubles I have read about I almost feel I am jinxing myself by writing this.  I have had only a few, 4-6 maybe, jambs, over 300 rnds per gun).  None like in your videos. Mine were straight up stove pipes.  How can some have so many issues and others a few?  Anyway to my question/comment.  I think you said the paperwork said they polished the ramp and blamed the magazine. The magazine statement seems like foder as I think you said some of your other mags. experienced the same issue.  So if they were the cause it should still remain with them, no?  So it begs the question, what did they do to make it function.  I mirror polished both mine before the first shot.  But I find it hard to believe unpolished feed ramps are causing these issue.  I also did the other mod on one mag even before my couple jambs, (shortening the follower legs).  those and unmodified work fine?  Again perplexed!  Any ideas what they did?

Unfortunately I have not had time to disassemble the R51 since it returned (I barely had time to make the video). With a little luck, I'll have some time to take a look at it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

Howard

Hrfunk

Quote from: funflyer on August 18, 2018, 06:52:05 PM
I thought he said they polished the "bolt". I assume that means they polished the Pedersen block? I'd be interested to see is it was just a polish or, if they removed material to relieve it somehow. Howard, please post some closeup pics of the block when you can. Anyway, glad to see it's running flawlessly now.

It did say "bolt". I'll let you know what I find.

Howard