• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Just Invented Another Malfunction

Started by R51Fan2017, May 25, 2018, 09:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Hilda just pulled a fast one on me today. As I was heading out the door this morning, I decided to load up a brand new mag I had stashed back. Ok, I know carrying an unproven mag isn't the brightest move in the world. When I loaded it with 7 rounds, I locked the slide back and inserted the mag. As I always do, I pulled the slide back to release and load a round. When I did, the first round immediately stood on its a** and pointed it's nose fully vertical. The slide was froze, so I dropped the mag to clear it, then tried again. This time, it literally jumped clear of the mag and chamber and landed on the floor. :o

I tried again out of frustration, and the top round again, jumped out of the mag and evaded getting fed down the pipe. :o :o I ditched that mag entirely and went with one out of the 7 I have that works.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

R51Fan2017

Ok folks, issue has been diagnosed. It was a combination of problems. First off, as soon as I got the mag, I bent the lip straight up and down. Shouldn't have been a problem except it caused the follower to take this exaggerated "nose up" position. But still, my others do that, and I haven't had that problem before. Second issue, the mag spring was tough as heck to load the last round, harder than the others. So I clipped a link off the spring, and put it back together, and I put a slight bend back into the lip. I also filed down the ski ramp on the follower. I also noticed that the front of lips on the sides of the mag that help hold the cartridge seemed like they were off. So with a pair of pliers, I bent them slightly inward towards too. So far, problem seems to be solved.

I think that the excessive spring tension coupled with straightening the front lip where the follower is too far out, with the ramp on the follower, and the out of spec lips on the sides of the mag contributed to the problems. By the way, this was an older 2017 mag that I had back in storage, so this was not a new 2018 mag in case anyone was wondering.

P.S. Happy Memorial Day to everyone, and thank you to those who have served!  :)

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

FlatEarther

In my experience...
The only function of the bend on the front is as a follower stop on an empty unseated magazine.
The only exception is to also assist in nose dive jams :) ... Joe

Thank You veterans!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: FlatEarther on May 26, 2018, 12:02:13 PM
In my experience...
The only function of the bend on the front is as a follower stop on an empty unseated magazine.
Joe

Thank You veterans!

You are right Joe. Problem was, I think I bent it too far out, and wound up creating an issue that didn't exist before. So I bent it back to find the happy medium, and it works. Amazing how finicky these mags are. I'm glad the new ones coming out seem to be working better. :)

- Larry Elder

sawatis

Hey guys, so if you order jags direct from Remington now do they send you the surest build or pawn off the old stock?
John

R51Fan2017

Quote from: sawatis on May 27, 2018, 04:48:15 PM
Hey guys, so if you order jags direct from Remington now do they send you the surest build or pawn off the old stock?
John

I believe Remington has gone through old stock, and are now selling newbies. I got my mags from Grab a Gun, and they work perfectly just bone stock with no mods. At the time they also had a good deal on them.

- Larry Elder

sawatis

Ok great I'll check out grab a gun...
Thanks and have a great Memorial Day
John

R51Fan2017

Quote from: sawatis on May 28, 2018, 12:33:08 PM
Ok great I'll check out grab a gun...
Thanks and have a great Memorial Day
John

Here is the link for you! Have a good Memorial Day too! https://grabagun.com/remington-r51-7rd-magazine-stainless1232.html

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

I just ordered a couple new mags from Grab a Gun, too.

Took 4 mags with 4 different modifications to the range and came out with some interesting stuff, too.  The ones I had widened the front of the feed lips a little all popped the round straight up and jammed them in the ejection port.  The ones that worked had the tab bent to middle of the road to keep the follower from popping too far up.  All have had 2 loops (or more) clipped off the springs.

I now have 2 that work well, 2 I bent the feed lips back in a little and will test, and hopefully, 2 new ones on the way that won't need any modification.

Luckily, my wife gave me a gun range membership for our anniversary, so I can hit the range a lot more and get those last 2 right.  I am one lucky man!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on May 28, 2018, 08:44:31 PM
I just ordered a couple new mags from Grab a Gun, too.

Took 4 mags with 4 different modifications to the range and came out with some interesting stuff, too.  The ones I had widened the front of the feed lips a little all popped the round straight up and jammed them in the ejection port.  The ones that worked had the tab bent to middle of the road to keep the follower from popping too far up.  All have had 2 loops (or more) clipped off the springs.

I now have 2 that work well, 2 I bent the feed lips back in a little and will test, and hopefully, 2 new ones on the way that won't need any modification.

Luckily, my wife gave me a gun range membership for our anniversary, so I can hit the range a lot more and get those last 2 right.  I am one lucky man!

You just made a liar out of me crosstrains! I said Grab a Gun mags actually work bone stock!  :o ALOL!  It's ok, just kidding!  :) Now back on a more serious note, it is interesting that you had the same experience with the feed lips and they round aiming straight up and jamming. Really something that you had to clip 2 or more links  off the springs though. I wonder if this is old stock they have they are getting rid of, or if these are new "2018" mags. You got a really good wife too! Pretty lucky guy if you ask me! Good luck with your tests. Please report back when you try them.

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

Well, I hope the Grab A Gun mags work stock.  The 4 I've been working on were from Remington.  The 2 that came with the gun and the 2 replacements they sent when I complained.  I haven't received the 2 from Grab A Gun yet. 

I'm let y'all know how the tests turn out. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on May 29, 2018, 01:14:29 PM
I haven't received the 2 from Grab A Gun yet. 

I'm let y'all know how the tests turn out.

My bad there crosstrains. I misinterpreted your post. I hope they work for you too! Good luck!

- Larry Elder