• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New to the forum

Started by ComingCurse, December 20, 2015, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComingCurse

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I purchased an r51 shortly after it came to market, and was very pleased with what was to be my summer edc. I took it to the range several times, without any problems, with both regular and +p ammo ( aboot 500 rounds through it). This summer, while carrying at a gun show I was informed of the recall by a man asking to purchase it (it was my carry at the moment, so the answer was no).

I contacted Remington aboot the recall and was told I'd have a new gen 2 by August, so I sent it in; we all know how that has gone. Though I wanted to keep it, as my edc I couldn't risk a malfunction, so sending it in seemed a no brainer.

6 months later, no gun, and no timeline in sight. Truthfully, I regret sending it back (I've been offered over $1000 for it). I know others here have been waiting far longer, and I feel your pain.

My last contact with Remington was mid Oct, with no time line given, and the offer for a refund, or replacement with the 1911. Here's to hoping we all hear good news soon, though I am losing faith.

Robert

Welcome to the forum and thanks for signing up and telling your story. Most offers such as you got are not real offers just people blowing smoke. If it was a real offer I would have taken it myself then bought another R51 later and another gun also.

Does not seem right for you to not have got an offer of a refund or replacement from Remington. You could press them on that and probably get something.

Robert

Dwight

Hello my name is Dwight I am new to the are 51 forum .About 4 years ago I purchased a model 51 Remington and was really intrigued with it so when the new R51 came out I was very interested in it and purchase one shortly after they came out. I fired  it shortly after I bought it and started having problems with failure to fire and jamming so I contacted Remington and returned it and that's where I stand now. I did call them this morning January 25th and spoke to  a representative that told me that there were 50 guns made and they are in testing right now and if everything goes as planned they should be released in the second quarter so I've got my fingers crossed we'll see what happens.

ComingCurse

Robert, it was a real offer. Had a guy attempt to buy it at a gun show, then my local gun store offered me a grand on the spot. Unfortunately, I'd already sent mine in for replacement 2 days earlier. I regret sending it in now, not for the money, but for the simple thought that we may never see a replacement.

Robert

Quote from: ComingCurse on February 14, 2016, 11:24:30 AM
Robert, it was a real offer. Had a guy attempt to buy it at a gun show, then my local gun store offered me a grand on the spot. Unfortunately, I'd already sent mine in for replacement 2 days earlier. I regret sending it in now, not for the money, but for the simple thought that we may never see a replacement.

I think you can take solace in the "fact" Remington will certainly replace it, they are most certainly being very thorough in trying to get it right the second time around. People will allow for a mistake to be made and then expect the problem to be fixed. If Remington gets it wrong again, they know they will lose a lot of business.

I do think Remington should do something to make it up to you though and not just expect you to have been without your gun for this long without doing something for you. I'm talking about free stuff or money.

That is what I would tell them I expect due to the time you have had to be without your R51 that you paid for and thus should fully expect to have and be able to use. That is what I would explain to Remington. I mean, after all, I just bought a Springfield 1911 .45 and Springfield sent me 2 free mags and a really nice range bag, this is like 70 to 80.00 worth of stuff.

If I were Remington I would talk to people who bought the R51 and find out what they would like such as a few extra mags or maybe a really nice collector addition wood presentation case and arrange to include this stuff when their gun is returned. I would make it limited addition, only for those customers who bought a R51 and went through this long wait to get it fixed and get it back. This would gain Remington some needed respect from these customers.

I think if it were any number of other manufacturers they would have made some kind of offer to you by now to give you a refund or a credit or something. For Remington to just leave all those owners hanging for so long does not speak well for them. It does not show respect for their customers.

Being the opportunist that I am, If I had the chance to make $$ from selling it off, I would have jumped at it, as the thought would be, I can always buy another later after the R51 is re-introduced and is known to be working.

I held off in buying a Springfield XDS when they first came out because I did not wish buy a gun then be without it for who knows how long when Springfield has to re-work it. You know what? That is exactly what happened, many XDS .45 guns had problems and had to be sent back to be fixed. Now they are well known to be a great reliable gun to own and if not due to the fact I have spend way to much on guns in the last 6 months, I would be buying one soon. In fact I just seen one at the local gun store for an incredible bargain at $399.00 for a bitone XDS .45. It was a bare bones "gun and one mag" package but it was new and ready to rock. I had a tough time walking away without that gun, but I did because I had just bought a Springfield TRP Operator .45 and a colt AR15.