• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Locktite application on grip screws

Started by 1911SHOOTER, March 07, 2018, 09:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

I made a mess when I first tried to apply Locktite on the  grip screw bushings on
Blackie and Smokey.
I dripped the Locktite on the hole in the bushings and it ran through to the
Mag well.  I figured out a solution.  I rolled up a couple of Kleenex in the shape
of a magazine, shoved it in the magwell and then dripped the locktite in the
bushing.  Worked like a champ!  I screwed the screws in the grip holes,
and then pulled the Kleenex back out.  The excess Locktite was absorbed
by the Kleenex.  No muss no fuss.  Now I will see if the Locktite holds  the
screws.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

funflyer

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on March 08, 2018, 07:36:12 AM
Which Loctite did you use?

I used the 271 RED.  After a couple of days, I will see how tight the screws are.
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Blackie,

One tip that I am giving to you for free is this. Try using a fine tip paint brush for applying loctite next time. I use a modeler's brush with a fine tip. Works good for pinpoint application, and keeps you using the right amount with no excess. Also, when greasing my pistol after cleaning, I use another small brush to apply the grease (actually it's teflon grease) down in the frame and slide rails. Keeps things real clean, and also keep you from using too much. Just thought that might help.

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     Thanks for the tip on the brushes.  I can use that on the lubrication of the
slides and the frame.
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 08, 2018, 05:04:31 PM
Todd,
slides and the frame.
Blackie

Blackie,

You are very welcome. Are you the absent minded professor today?? That wasn't Todd that posted that, it's me Sean.  ;D  :o
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 08, 2018, 05:09:06 PM
Todd,
slides and the frame.
Blackie

Blackie,

You are very welcome. Are you the absent minded professor today?? That wasn't Todd that posted that, it's me Sean.  ;D  :o

I get confused also Sean. I changed my avatar to help.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on March 08, 2018, 05:36:54 PM

Todd,

You didn't have to change your avatar. I'm just ribbing Blackie a little since he called me the Absent Minded Professor one time. Just poking at him a little  ;D. Obviously you share a love of aviation with me. That's another story for another time though!  My eyes play tricks on me plenty.

- Larry Elder

DryrotUK1985

i usually use a toothpick and dab it on the threads of the bolt or screw. let it start to set up a little and then send them home. no muss, no fuss.
and we should probably put our name at the end of our post.
help keep us confused people straight.
peace.
Chris

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
slides and the frame.
Blackie

Blackie,

Sean,
     Guilty as charged!   :(
blackie

russc2542

locktite RED? hope you don't want to change the grips ever.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: russc2542 on March 12, 2018, 10:13:25 AM
locktite RED? hope you don't want to change the grips ever.

russc,
     I will just go buy another R51!  :<)
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 12, 2018, 03:21:42 PM

russc,
     I will just go buy another R51!  :<)
Blackie

Blackie,

One is none. Two is one. Three is two. So for an extra extra backup you might want to get four! My favorite saying is, "you can't have too many!"  ;)

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on March 08, 2018, 05:36:54 PM
Todd,
slides and the frame.
Blackie

Blackie,

I guess we have more pilots n here than we thought.   Any body into Aerobatics?
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 13, 2018, 10:21:42 PM

I guess we have more pilots n here than we thought.   Any body into Aerobatics?
Blackie

A good friend of the family was big into aerobatic flying and was the organizer for the airshows we used to have here in Shreveport. His name was Marion Cole, brother of the famous Duane Cole. First class man who whenever he spoke had something of value to say. He passed on a few years ago sadly. We used to participate in some of his shows with our Piper J-3 Cub (which we still have by the way). He did a car top landing routine with it one time. That was fun!

- Larry Elder