• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

magazines

Started by Rog54, March 04, 2018, 12:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky150

The 2 mags that I ordered from Grabogun arrived.  They are encased in the semi-horseshoe plastic green containers...such as the ones in Pat Riot's picture above..

After racking them a few times with full mags from either the slingshot or mag release, they seemed to work perfectly.  We might have keepers here.  I have yet to fire them at the range though.

R51Fan2017

Blackie may be on to something with his guess that Remington has finally done something about the mags. Maybe they finally got enough complaints they decided to get off their duffs and doing something. I guess I better get some new ones myself and see how they do.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

David

I just bought 2 magazines from Buds, under $18 each.

They look just like the ones that came with my pistol, same lip bent inwards to catch the front of the follower - except, the slide will close on 7 rounds which my originals did not without trimming the follower. 

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Rog54 on March 04, 2018, 12:53:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've been on.
I'm wanting to buy some magazines.  Which generates a couple questions.  Has Remington done any mods on the magazines since the second edition was released?  Do any of you have a good source for magazines and do you think some have a stock of older ones?  Don't really want to pay almost $40 from big green, but also don't want to pay $30 for an older version. (if that's the case).  Any suggestions?
I have been one of the fortunate ones who have had zero issues with my R51.

Thanks,
Rog

Rog,
     If you can get the 2018 mags, they seem to be good ones.  Big Green had a sale on them
for 20 bucks, but I heard the sale was over.  You might want to check on their web site.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Pat Riot

Gents,
I finally got around to using the 3 magazines that I got from Grabagun. Two of them worked great but I didn't try racking a close slide on a full mag. I just assumed it wouldn;t work. Anyway, 2 of the mags worked flawlessly but one had a couple of hangups where the 2nd or 3rd round would nose dive and catch the front lip of the mag. Comparing that mag to my other mags the lip is bent in just the tiniest little bit more than the others. I think some judicious "bending" is in order.  ;D

I am still kind of bummed I cannot get factory springs for the first 2 mags that I got with my gun. I may just pull the spring and follower out of a new mag and try them in an original mag housing rather than bending the lip on the one that I have the problem with. In my experience, bending mags to make them work usually results in a so-so outcome. It may even be better to grind or trim the lip.

R51Fan2017

Scary how close that the S&W Shield mag looks compared to the R51 mag. Have I heard somewhere that someone else was making R51 mags and Remington wasn't making them? I wonder if Smith is doing it. Then again, if Smith is turning out sub standard mags like this, I am ashamed of them. I don't believe they are.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/s-and-w-m-and-p-shield-magazine-9mm-luger-7-rounds-steel-flush-base-pad-19935-022188200652.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119637

By the way, just ordered a couple mags from Grab a gun. Will see how they do. They were 14.95 I think.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 21, 2018, 06:48:33 PM
Scary how close that the S&W Shield mag looks compared to the R51 mag. Have I heard somewhere that someone else was making R51 mags and Remington wasn't making them? I wonder if Smith is doing it. Then again, if Smith is turning out sub standard mags like this, I am ashamed of them. I don't believe they are.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/s-and-w-m-and-p-shield-magazine-9mm-luger-7-rounds-steel-flush-base-pad-19935-022188200652.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119637

By the way, just ordered a couple mags from Grab a gun. Will see how they do. They were 14.95 I think.

When I talked to the guy in the Repairs Dept at Remington he told me that Remington does not produce the magazines. They contract them out. He would not tell me who makes them

I wonder if Shield mag springs will work in the Remington magazines? I think I will see if I can order one and try it out.

Pat Riot

I just ordered 2 S&W Shield magazine springs. They are the Wolff 10% more power springs but I can't find factory springs to try. These springs have 14 coils where the R51 mag has 13, if I remember correctly, so some cutting may be in order.

The springs come Friday. I will let you all know if they will fit in the R51 mags and go from there on testing them.

DryrotUK1985

Spring rate and total length would be the main factors. Then wire thickness where the " compressed " height would come into play

funflyer

Quote from: Pat Riot on March 26, 2018, 06:39:02 PM
I just ordered 2 S&W Shield magazine springs. They are the Wolff 10% more power springs but I can't find factory springs to try. These springs have 14 coils where the R51 mag has 13, if I remember correctly, so some cutting may be in order.

The springs come Friday. I will let you all know if they will fit in the R51 mags and go from there on testing them.

Pat, unfortunately the Shield springs will not fit. The Shield mags are not a single or double stack but somewhere in between and the springs are just too wide. The first 3 to 4 coils are small enough to fit but the rest gets wider like a Beretta 92 spring.

R51Fan2017

Just got my new mag from Grab-a-Gun. Will try it out this weekend to see how it works and report back with an update on a new thread.

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

Quote from: funflyer on March 27, 2018, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Pat Riot on March 26, 2018, 06:39:02 PM

Pat, unfortunately the Shield springs will not fit. The Shield mags are not a single or double stack but somewhere in between and the springs are just too wide. The first 3 to 4 coils are small enough to fit but the rest gets wider like a Beretta 92 spring.

Well, you are correct...I now have two Shield springs I don't need... ;)

DryrotUK1985

If the r51 springs were tapered/spiraled like the shield springs, there would be no coil bind like some of us have experienced.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: DryrotUK1985 on April 09, 2018, 12:44:03 PM
If the r51 springs were tapered/spiraled like the shield springs, there would be no coil bind like some of us have experienced.

If only they would fit in the R51 magazines!

- Larry Elder

springfield art

I'm lucky, too, my R51 has had no problems at all, but only about 350 rds. shot so far. The magazines see to work perfectly. Will be putting more downrange now that Spring is here.