• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

countdown starts

Started by DryrotUK1985, February 25, 2018, 05:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DryrotUK1985

i committed to the purchase of a R51. i spent a ton of time watching the reviews, reading the articles and trolling this forum. i was amazed at how some of the youtubers immediately bashed the gun because it wasn't a glock. just looking for an excuse to hate it. i have fired this R51 before.put 7 mags through it without any hang ups. federal 115 grain practice ammo. fits my hand well and easy to put on target and stay there. with all the info that is on this forum alone, i think i can fix ant issues that arise. i have a machinist friend that may be able to make a better fitting follower if needed. i am getting 6 mags and a iwb holster with the purchase. i will update when i have it in my hands. i plan on running 50 rounds through it the day after i get it. i can shoot out my back door. have to love country living!
Be Safe
Chris

R51Fan2017

Quote from: DryrotUK1985 on February 25, 2018, 05:04:39 PM
i committed to the purchase of a R51. i spent a ton of time watching the reviews, reading the articles and trolling this forum. i was amazed at how some of the youtubers immediately bashed the gun because it wasn't a glock. just looking for an excuse to hate it. i have fired this R51 before.put 7 mags through it without any hang ups. federal 115 grain practice ammo. fits my hand well and easy to put on target and stay there. with all the info that is on this forum alone, i think i can fix ant issues that arise. i have a machinist friend that may be able to make a better fitting follower if needed. i am getting 6 mags and a iwb holster with the purchase. i will update when i have it in my hands. i plan on running 50 rounds through it the day after i get it. i can shoot out my back door. have to love country living!
Be Safe
Chris

They quickly forget the Glock 42 debacle. It wouldn't work with 380 hollow point ammo. Also, Glock didn't own up to their mistake, rather kept it hush hush, and waited for customers to have problems. And it took something like 4 magazine revisions to get it right too. But wait, Glock is supposed to be perfection! I have mentioned this story before to Glock fanboys who trashed the R51, and I can tell you, I didn't make any friends.!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

johnnysR51

Way to go Chris, if u are like me I love it , just got back from the indian river gun range, put 225 round threw it today , and 25 threw my
Taurus PT111 (trading it in on a R51 Friday I hope} so far I have 425 rounds of 115gr FMU in it and 5 rounds of Remington ULTIMATE DEFENSE full size hand gun 9mm luger +P 124GR golden saber BJHP{talk to Remington about this ammo} ,, today it is replacing my Taurus as my carry. I have full faith in it , Thursday iam taking my wife to the range to fire her Bersa 380, and try my r51, the only problem I see is her taking it apart to clean it (I use a clamp with rubber ends to hold the barrel out to disassemble  and reassemble as my wrist is in bad shape, ALSO I just want to say HI to all the forum members looking forward to talking to all members,,, , will keep updating
so far I put threw Remington 115 ,blazer brass 115 , magtech 115 ,& Sig Sauer 115,....
Johnny'sR51

DryrotUK1985

picked up my r51 last night, but due to a friend having vehicle issues, i ended up replacing rear suspension components all day today. soo i will get some mags loaded tomorrow and put 50 rounds through her. i did clean her last night and had a tough time with the slide. i tried the clamp trick but my clamp wasn't strong enough or the ends weren't grippy enough. either way it was a pain. so i will have to practice with it more. what was the size of the block that Blackie uses? that might work for me too. maybe my hands were tired from twisting wrenches. not sure.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: DryrotUK1985 on March 10, 2018, 05:25:59 PM
picked up my r51 last night, but due to a friend having vehicle issues, i ended up replacing rear suspension components all day today. soo i will get some mags loaded tomorrow and put 50 rounds through her. i did clean her last night and had a tough time with the slide. i tried the clamp trick but my clamp wasn't strong enough or the ends weren't grippy enough. either way it was a pain. so i will have to practice with it more. what was the size of the block that Blackie uses? that might work for me too. maybe my hands were tired from twisting wrenches. not sure.

I know one thing, your hands were probably just tired. I have done drum brake jobs before and after connecting all those springs, my ability for my fingers to grip things at the end of the day is not there. Suspension work sounds fun though! lol!  ::)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

johnnysR51

Chris,,
home depot has a metal clamp with molded rubber on the ends to grab the barrel, the barrel needs to be out 3/4in
for the pin to come out then just pull the clamp and the slide comes right out ,
               GOOD luck with new R51

JohnnysR51
Johnny'sR51

1911SHOOTER

So many guns, so little time!

DryrotUK1985

brakes ,shocks, sway-bar links, (one mount point bent required BFH to re align) and fix the caliper mounting brackets that caused the premature failure of the brake pads in the first place. much of the hardware was siezed due to the NY DOT salting the crap out of the roads in the winter and not washing the underside of the car.
     As to the R51, i loaded the 4 newer mags and fired them off yesterday, used federal Premium FMJ 115 gr practice ammo. no issues aside from me needing aim practice. loaded 7 rounds in each, and was able to depress the stack another 1/16 to 1/8 inch. stiff though. i figure the springs were maxed out. going to pick up another big box of ammo so i can do long term testing including the 2 gen1 mags i have. they are a bear to put 7 rounds in and dont have any free play available.i dont want to mod anything till i have good data. other than the grip is a little narrow, i love it. working on plans for a steel target rig that can be set up or torn down in a few minutes and is light enough to transport anywhere. target vehicle size is a Subaru Forester.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DryrotUK1985 on March 12, 2018, 09:04:46 AM
brakes ,shocks, sway-bar links, (one mount point bent required BFH to re align) and fix the caliper mounting brackets that caused the premature failure of the brake pads in the first place. much of the hardware was siezed due to the NY DOT salting the crap out of the roads in the winter and not washing the underside of the car.
     As to the R51, i loaded the 4 newer mags and fired them off yesterday, used federal Premium FMJ 115 gr practice ammo. no issues aside from me needing aim practice. loaded 7 rounds in each, and was able to depress the stack another 1/16 to 1/8 inch. stiff though. i figure the springs were maxed out. going to pick up another big box of ammo so i can do long term testing including the 2 gen1 mags i have. they are a bear to put 7 rounds in and dont have any free play available.i dont want to mod anything till i have good data. other than the grip is a little narrow, i love it. working on plans for a steel target rig that can be set up or torn down in a few minutes and is light enough to transport anywhere. target vehicle size is a Subaru Forester.

Dryrot,
     You need to seriously investigate the modification of shortening the follower legs.  It has worked for the rest of us.
As for grips, I put Keefer grips on both my R51s and the 1/4 inches in width make the guns comfortable for my
old outsized hands.
Blackie

DryrotUK1985

i am not above modifying, and will probably  do the leg shortening once i know which mags need it. i was thinking maybe an overall width increase of 1/4 inch. possibly less. we shall see. i do like the look of those on their ebay account

johnnysR51

iam all in ordering 2 or 3 tomorrow then atemp to take one apart ,, thanks R51 owners

johnnysr51
Johnny'sR51

R51Fan2017

At least the magazines are easier to take apart than the gun! Only one out of four of my mags went without having to trim the follower legs. They all have the tab on the front straightened out. I haven't clipped springs yet, but will try that this week on one, and see what happens.

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

R51fan,
     Don't clip the springs, unless you really feel you need to. 
I only clipped one spring on one mag, and couldn't tell the difference.
Took a little off the follower legs and the mag works fine now.
Blackie

Chokejug

I agree with Blackie here.
No need to clip springs on any of mine.

But some did need the legs shortened.
And at least one will only run 100 percent with the spring installed one side up.  Turn it the other side up and it fails all over the place.

So, there certainly can be interference in the way the springs compress.  Some "snap crackle and pop" during compression.

Meaning that the coils are over running each other, but with interference.
Try turning them end for end.

And make sure that the ends do fit into the follower recesses, flat and burr free.

R51Fan2017

Blackie and Choke,

Thanks for the warning. Strange though Blackie. You clipped it and didn't notice a difference? I felt sure you would notice some improvement. Choke, thanks for the tip on turning them end over end. I will try that instead. So far, I haven't had any problems with the spring fitting into the follower, even after I trimmed the legs.

- Larry Elder