• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

"Guests"

Started by Chokejug, February 05, 2018, 04:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chokejug

Hey, do you guys ever notice how many guests show up on here?

I would guess that it runs somewhere between 2 to 6 or 7 guests per member, at any given time.

Seems that there is still a bunch of interest out there.

Lots of nibbles, but slow on the real "swallow the hook"!

That term may well irk some folks, but look at the members here that own more than one of these guns!

lklawson

Quote from: Chokejug on February 05, 2018, 04:39:23 PM
Hey, do you guys ever notice how many guests show up on here?
That's pretty common for gun forums which allow browsing before joining.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

SCurmudgeon

When you say swallow the hook, are you talking about joining the forum or purchasing an R51?

It takes a certain amount of fortitude to buy an R51 over-the-counter when a high percentage of the sales staff - in big box and small shops - tell you that they are junk.  You have to be willing to accept their derision.

Chokejug

Both.

But the derision comment is kind of funny.
I know its out there, but my single personal instance of it was very, very mild.
I think the LGS, where I had done busines prior, didnt want to go there.

Better to just not go there and just say that they had none, never mentioning that maybe they would order one.

Wait, two instances actually, forgot, I tried to rent one at one indoor range.  Only a "sorry, we dont have one to rent", and a curious look.

The next place was only too happy to order one, just prior to the Thanksgiving rebate!  Just my luck!

But the second one came from Cabelas, on good sale price, plus the Christmas rebate.  Which just came last week BTW.

SCurmudgeon

I think the amount of "feedback" you get is a function of whether or not you disclose your intent to purchase.

Whenever I asked a clerk what he knew about the R51, their comments ranged from "only heard bad things about it" to "absolute POS."  One big box guy admitted to selling one, but not getting any feedback regarding that particular purchase.

When I went in to buy my R51, it was at a small shop, I knew the pistol was in stock, and I asked for it straight away.  As the purchase proceeded I tried to get his opinion, but he didn't have much to say good or bad.  The customer is always right.

I'm glad I didn't listen to those counter blokes and paid close attention to what the folks on this site had to say.

mr220v

What most gun salesmen say is going to be parroting youtube gun media.  Most of them won't have gone out and tried it for themselves, and even if they did, they still might not like it.  I think guys with big soft hands will tend to take a beating from this gun.

1911SHOOTER

I think most of the guys selling gun in the big box stores have never fired a
gun in their life.  I have never gone into a big box store and seen any
enthusiastic sales men.   While you look at the gun they just look around
like "Who Cares"!
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on February 09, 2018, 12:00:48 AM
like "Who Cares"!
Blackie

I just about had to beg the guy behind the counter to sell me my R51, on Black Friday nonetheless. Sheesh, its your job man. If you don't like it, move out of the way and let me sell for a while. I guarantee you, I will be tickled pink to have so many guns at my beck and call.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

russc2542

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on February 09, 2018, 12:00:48 AM
like "Who Cares"!
Blackie

There are 4 types I've seen working gun counters
1. Dept store person assigned to it with no interest in guns either way.
2. Person's into guns but can't afford them making minimum wage at the gun counter.
3. Operator who runs the counter as a side job. Not interested in anything but an echo chamber of how awesome his glocks are.
4. Retiree just in there to pass the time. Has a collection already and not interested in trying out new stuff.

lklawson

Quote from: russc2542 on February 12, 2018, 07:09:22 AM
There are 4 types I've seen working gun counters
1. Dept store person assigned to it with no interest in guns either way.
2. Person's into guns but can't afford them making minimum wage at the gun counter.
3. Operator who runs the counter as a side job. Not interested in anything but an echo chamber of how awesome his glocks are.
4. Retiree just in there to pass the time. Has a collection already and not interested in trying out new stuff.
For entertainment, I will sometimes go to the local Rural King and listen to the counter guys giving "advice" (often unsolicited) to customers.

You should try it some time.  Take a couple of hours.  It's cheaper than a movie and RK even provides free popcorn!  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Kirk,
     I think I mentioned this before, but my favourite LGS is in Bryan, Texas.
"Champion Firearms".   When I went in to buy an R51 in '14,  one of the
guys said "that is a POS" !  I did not buy it, but when the 1916 came out,
I jumped on it.  I wanted to buy it from Champion, but they told me that
they had dropped Remington pistols because of their pricing policy.
They still sell Rem Rifles, but no Pistols. 
Blackie

So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Gee, I wish we had an RK store close here!
I had never heard of them prior to this forum.

DryrotUK1985

I wish I had one too. Gander mountain combined with tractor supply and a splash of sears

lklawson

The best thing about Rural King's gun counter is going there, shutting the heck up, and listening to the gun-counter guys giving "advice," often unsolicited, to the customers.  It is often times hysterically bad.  And RK even provides free popcorn!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

funflyer

RK sounds a lot like Fleet Farm. Every time I visit family in Minnesota I spend more time in the FF than I do at their house. Last year I scored some 30 round mags for my 10/22 for 3 bucks a piece on a FF clearance.