• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Recent Info

Started by wa2bop, November 21, 2015, 03:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wa2bop

Just an FYI for the interested.  I'm located in North Carolina and just read a post in the NC gun owners forum from a member who saw 4 "new generation" R51's in a Remington product display trailer at a gun store in Rural Hall NC.  The Remington rep didn't have a date estimate for release. This was yesterday.
It seems the R51 does exist, and is being shown by Remington, fact or fiction.??.
Barry
What, Me Worry?

NRA republican

I don't know anything about R51's on Remington Product display trailers, but I can otherwise offer a little hope & reason for delay from Remington reps.

This is about the RM380, but at around minute 4:30-5:00 or so, a little insight into R51 production...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloJMaooY4c

Also, I called Remington today inquiring about the R51.  Rep said R51 was being made, but not yet ready for release to public.

I've been searching for the most shootable, most accurate, most concealable 9mm available.  If they make the R51 reliable, I think my quest may be over.

My R1 was made in their new Huntsville, AL facility.  RM380's are being made in Huntsville, so...

Robert

I am thinking about buying an R51 and making it the wife's gun, hay not a bad excuse for buying another gun, as I already have quite a few.

The felt recoil on the R51 is lower, this should make it more easy for her to shoot it.

I have no issues with recoil myself.

Wife on the other hand, does not like guns that are too much of a hand full when they "go bang".

Example, she liked my Kel-tec PF9, she thought hey this is more my size... Then she pulled the trigger [shot it at the range], it went bang and she handed it back to me and said "this thing kicks like hell".

About all I could say was, it is a 9mm and has some power, that is what makes the bad guy you are pointing it at fall down.

I could get her a .380 but I think I will try and keep to the more powerful .9mm and go with the R51 for her so it works better and there is not yet another caliber of ammo I have to buy.

The idea is for a gun that is sized compact enough for her to carry should she decide to later on. There are tons of larger frame .9mm guns with less felt recoil if it where only to be a night stand or house gun.

My son bought his wife a HK USP, what a great shooter that gun is, I can fire that thing rapidly and keep all the holes on a paper plate at 5 to 10 ft better then pretty much any other gun I have ever shot in that size and weight. When I slow down and try, I can keep every round on a paper plate at far longer ranges.

All of the women in our group that day who shot it, liked it.

For the ultimate lighter recoil 9mm I would like to try a SA Range officer 1911 in 9mm. More heavy gun, match frame, super smooth slide feel. I bet it would be a great shooter, not great for concealed unless you don't mind that size and weight, some don't but I need something smaller myself.

Reason for the Kel-tec PF9 is it fits my front pocket and that is how I carry it. I don't usually run around with my shirt un-tucked so IWB is less an option for me. I am trying it and getting more used to it in the summer though, so I can carry something larger.

My son likes to carry his SA 1911 IWB and gives me a hard time about carrying my "tiny little pea shooter" around.

According to him, that little PF9 is a great gun, you should give it to mom and get a real gun for yourself. You want to intimidate the bad guys right?, not make all of them laugh when you "pull it out"! Damn kids.....

Might have something to do with why I acquired two .45's in the last few months.

Robert

RED HORSE

Well, the R51 is back on the Remington web site, but an email to them only resulted in a response of "soon" when I asked when it would be released.

Gyrobob

I sent an email to Remington asking for availability info a few days ago.  No response yet.

RED HORSE

Quote from: Gyrobob on January 15, 2016, 12:53:38 PM
I sent an email to Remington asking for availability info a few days ago.  No response yet.

Interesting.  I've been wondering if they were going to make an announcement at the Shot Show.  Maybe their lack of response means something is about to happen.  In the past they have always responded within 24 hours.  We can hope anyway.