• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

No folks, I lieth not

Started by R51Fan2017, January 20, 2018, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

As the title says. I can actually load a 45acp into a R51 mag intended for a 9mm. If the sides weren't bent in, I could load .45 in these mags. Why the heck did Remington make a 9mm mag so wide it can hold .45 with no problem? I mean, this is a glove fit for a .45. Just like my 1911 mags. Seriously??
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Uh-oh, someone's got too much time on his hands ;D ,or there's bad weather outside.

Chokejug

Anyone else getting the idea that this mag design was not for this gun when it started?

I think they started with some existing mag and just modified until "it sort of worked"!

Anyone have the Rem 380, the high $ company that tey just bought ought Rorhbaugh or something like that?

Well, Rems new version of that gun uses a mag with a full length spacer welded into the back of it.
I am sure it was Rorhbor's 9mm mags just reworked.

Maybe the original company did both that way, as I believe they made it in both 9mm and 380.

funflyer

Quote from: Chokejug on January 20, 2018, 05:05:03 PM
Anyone else getting the idea that this mag design was not for this gun when it started?
I think they started with some existing mag and just modified until "it sort of worked"!

I don't own a 1911 to compare, but the R51 mag does appear to use a 1911 shell or very similar. From what I can tell the 1911 9mm and 45 use a similar shell also, but the 9mm has the channels stamped into it for the narrower round and spring. Reading some of the 1911 forums, it does seem that the 1911 is plagued with the same mag problems as our R51, i.e. nosedives, stovepipes etc. Later today I am going over to a friends house and compare his 45 1911 mags with the R51 mags.

Quote from: Chokejug on January 20, 2018, 05:05:03 PM
Anyone have the Rem 380, the high $ company that tey just bought ought Rorhbaugh or something like that?
Well, Rems new version of that gun uses a mag with a full length spacer welded into the back of it.
I am sure it was Rorhbor's 9mm mags just reworked.
Maybe the original company did both that way, as I believe they made it in both 9mm and 380.

Yes, that's exactly what Rohrbough did. They just dimpled the rear of the R9 mag shell and slipped a spacer in so it would hold the .380 round. Thankfully Remington had the good sense to leave that design alone and not screw with it. Though adding the last round slide hold-open and relocating the mag release was definitely an improvement and they did get that right. My RM380 is a joy to shoot and my favorite small pistol. Can't recall how many rounds I have through it now but it's well north of 300 and it's never had a fail of any kind. I made a new hammer spring seat to reduce the pull weight instead of using the Galloway kit and it has settled in at right around 7 pounds with no light primer strikes.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on January 20, 2018, 03:57:48 PM
Uh-oh, someone's got too much time on his hands ;D ,or there's bad weather outside.

Todd,
All the above.  :<)  :)   I have the same problem.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on January 20, 2018, 01:45:24 PM
As the title says. I can actually load a 45acp into a R51 mag intended for a 9mm. If the sides weren't bent in, I could load .45 in these mags. Why the heck did Remington make a 9mm mag so wide it can hold .45 with no problem? I mean, this is a glove fit for a .45. Just like my 1911 mags. Seriously??
When the Gen 1 was introduced there was rumor that Big Green was going to come out with a .40S&W version as well and maybe a .357 Sig.  The fact that the RP9 was released before the RP45, both on the same platform, implies that releasing one platform size for several caliber chamberings is something that Remington thinks about.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Kirk,

I know what you are saying, but I would like to think that if Remington had designed this mag for 9mm only, we wouldn't be having so many fitment and function problems. I would like to see a 40 R51 come out in the future though!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

You apparently dont believe that the .40 is dead?

That new tech, namely bullets has completly out ran it, making it totally useless?

But then, the new bullets help the .40 as well, but possibky "over-kill" for SD.

Then call it a big game load.

(Legal here, .40 and up, during pistol season.)

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on January 23, 2018, 11:48:03 AM
Kirk,

I know what you are saying, but I would like to think that if Remington had designed this mag for 9mm only, we wouldn't be having so many fitment and function problems.
Maybe.  Hard to say but I think it's just that they didn't get it right the first time out more than they were trying to make it too flexible and cover other ammo.  I'm basing this opinion on the shape of the top of the follower for the Gen 1 mags.  If I had any .40 S&W, I'd try loading it in the mag.  But I don't.  :)

QuoteI would like to see a 40 R51 come out in the future though!
It would be neat.  I have friends who still hold that .40S&W is the perfect balance for a semi-auto pistol cartridge.  This in spite of the recent decline in popularity.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

mr220v

So, i could potentially change my barrel, breech block, main spring, and magazine and convert my 9mm gun to 357 sig then?

lklawson

Quote from: mr220v on January 24, 2018, 01:20:28 PM
So, i could potentially change my barrel, breech block, main spring, and magazine and convert my 9mm gun to 357 sig then?
Sort of.  Right now we are speculating that you could use the same magazine.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Chokejug

220v, IF you could find someone to do so, it would approach my wanting a titainium frame in $!

Those companies that first came out with a 9mm and then tried to "upgrade" the basic pistol to .40 have usually struggled greatly.

Just getting this action to 9mm took some doing!

mr220v

Seems like the r51 breech block is much more solid than the model 51s.  I was looking at getting one, then found out that modern 380 tends to break it.

How much will this version take?  Hard to say.  The current r51 does pretty well with hotter loads though.

R51Fan2017

It helps that the current generation was actually designed for using +P ammo. So anything below +P is essentially "breathing easy".

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

BUT, +P is their absolute limit; or so I heard.

Dont know what they might use for an "over pressure" proof load, or even if they do.

Also heard that +P+ was total a no-no, but then, supposedly, its also over SAMI specs.