• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Barrel Thread Pitch

Started by Engineerpower, January 17, 2018, 04:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lklawson

Quote from: Engineerpower on January 26, 2018, 11:24:07 AMI was thinking about that last night; have you considered using a throat reamer to open up the free bore a little bit? I have the measurement equipment other than the reamer, if several people need their barrels reamed, we could offer this as a service. Maybe an option on the threaded barrels!
I have, but I think that's a bit beyond my abilities.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

russc2542

Don't get me wrong, I have no love for either thread pitch but I have noticed the gun I have with RH threads will unscrew the thread protector during firing where-as the HK with LH threads does not.

Engineerpower

I can't imagine the tiny amount of bullet rotation having a larger influence on the protector that the threadforms or how tightened it was.

I mean, anything is possible, but yeah.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

1911SHOOTER

Engineer,
     Any information on the price of these barrels?
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Engineerpower

Production on the first run began today! Looking like we'll have completed parts ready for QC late next week and ready to ship.

Pricing is looking like it will be $125, and I'm working on getting first dibs for this forum and special pricing for members.
Cameron Husk

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

Chokejug

Quote from: Engineerpower on February 02, 2018, 03:02:19 PM
I can't imagine the tiny amount of bullet rotation having a larger influence on the protector that the threadforms or how tightened it was.

Somehow, I can.
A bullet doing 15 to 20K RPM hitting threads has to be inducing some torque, either tighter, up to a point, or looser, and magazine after another magazine full, its really going the have to be snug to keep the latter tight.

A shotgun charge, down the bore, time after time will loosen screw in chokes, even with no bullet spin.

Engineerpower

Shouldn't be any contact between the bullet and a thread protector, though, right? Just the general vibration of a tiny train rolling by at Mach 1, and the slide doing its thing.
Cameron Husk

R51Fan2017

Cameron,

I am very impressed with this. It looks like a factory job to boot! Are you going to consider finishing it in black? Or leave it shiny?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Engineerpower

Thanks! We're getting them pretty seamless. We mount the extension the barrel with an OD of 5/8", then turn down and hand fit with fine sandpaper to the factory 0.532" OD. There's a microscopic seam, but it's the same grade of stainless and hand fit extremely close, so hard to find it unless you know where to look.

What finish would you like to see? Being stainless, it won't take a bluing or park finish, so that would just leave a bake-on epoxy. I'll have to see how cerakote and gunkote do on barrels.
Cameron Husk

Engineerpower

Actually, Caswell has a SS blackening solution. May have to take a look at that, does anyone have any experience with it?
Cameron Husk

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Engineerpower on February 04, 2018, 11:52:29 AM
Actually, Caswell has a SS blackening solution. May have to take a look at that, does anyone have any experience with it?

Cameron,

Actually I wasn't suggesting to finish the barrel just the adapter. I was thinking black cerakote to match the gun's finish.

Sean
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

russc2542

One, no. after a box yes. the bullet accelerates in one rotational direction, the gun is torqued in the other. the reaction to the bullet is very sudden, the reaction from your hand much slower. Happens on both my .22 (S&W 2206) and .45 (FNX45T). HKs with RH threads have an oring I think. Locktite also works if you run that way.

for $125, sign me up.

Engineerpower

The lathe assigned to run the barrel production run had a bearing fail in the powertrain, and we'll be running a few days behind our target release day, unfortunately as I had to design and source a custom bearing stack. Turns out some designer 30 years ago decided to use a radial bearing in an axial bearing's role. I guess it speaks pretty well to Japanese bearings that it lasted that long before disintegrating!

Quote from: russc2542 on February 12, 2018, 07:16:43 AM
for $125, sign me up.

I'm working on getting an even better price for this forum...  ;)
Cameron Husk

Chokejug

Quote from: russc2542 on February 12, 2018, 07:16:43 AM

One, no. after a box yes. the bullet accelerates in one rotational direction, the gun is torqued in the other. the reaction to the bullet is very sudden, the reaction from your hand much slower. Happens on both my .22 (S&W 2206) and .45 (FNX45T). HKs with RH threads have an oring I think. Locktite also works if you run that way.

for $125, sign me up.

Yep, my point as well, I just didn't write it up as well.
Basically, vibration alone, (and bbls do vibrate!), let alone torque, will loosen threads.

Now, the common thing to stop such, a lock washer wouldn't look so good!  ;D
But a little low/medium strength lock tight should do the trick if it tends to happen..

That said, my brother once bought an old Springfield .3006  that had been re-barreled, sporterised, with what appeared to be a washer installed between the bbl and the receiver, all machined down, and one could see that the metals did not match at all!  He didn't like what I had to say about his complete lack of noticing, or caring!  I wouldn't have shot it on a bet!,,(Good thing that he doesn't read this forum!)

Engineerpower

Just wanted to give an update to everyone!

Repairs to the production lathe are complete, but I have to step away for 2 weeks for Military Duty (I'm a Commander in the National Guard). Company policy is no new product releases while the engineering director is OOO, sorry  :(

We're looking at 19 March release date, beginning with a sale exclusive to R51Pistol forum members. Y'all will have first dibs on the only production threaded R51 barrels in the world!
Cameron Husk