• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON THE CHARLOTTE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, January 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinerjohn

My round count is right at 1,000 also.  I've contacted Remington and am waiting for their shipping container. 

Pat Riot

Well, I got my R51 back from Remington a week and a half ago. It was nearly 7 weeks from the time I shipped it until I received it back.  :(

They said they replaced the pin and polished the bolt - I have no idea why and they didn't say. They apparently also replaced the mag release pin spring because it was a little harder to press the release from either side.

I had decided that once I got the gun back I was going to sell it and buy a Glock. I went to 2 different gun dealers and to the Cabela's Gun Library. None would buy it, not even the dealer that sold it to me and he was the guy that I was buying the Glock 19X from.

So, I decided, what the heck. I'll keep it and enjoy it. Remington "fixed it", right?

Last weekend when I bought my Glock I also had the R51 with me and shot it at the range at my favorite gun shop. The focus of my time at the range was shooting my new Glock but I went ahead and put 28 rounds (4 magazines) through my R51. There must have still been some grit in the bolt from the polishing and I had a couple failures to fire - even though I thought I had cleaned the gun up pretty good once I received it back. I think there was some grit binding the firing pin, but I am suspicious o that.

Anyway, I shot 28 rounds and put the gun away. I took it to the range yesterday with my grandson. To save a little room in my gun bag I had inserted an empty mag into the gun and took the other 3 mags. At the range I was showing the pistol, to my grandson and explaining how it worked. I removed and inserted the empty magazine after showing him it was unloaded and was showing him how the magazine could be released from either side when the pin just popped out about 1/8" again on the right side. Rather than get angry and let it ruin my range time with my grandson I put the gun away.

It is obvious to me that Remington did replace the pin as the current pin has more longitudinal serrations. I tried to push the pin back with my fingers but couldn't get it to go in. I have decided to leave it as is and contact Remington, yet again, tomorrow.

I am not a happy camper.  >:(
I have an unreliable firearm that I cannot trust and I cannot sell locally and would never pawn off on someone else knowing what I know about it.

When I was trying to sell this gun at Cabela's the manager stated that he would not buy any Charlotte R51, regardless of what "generation" it was. I figured he was just making excuses for not wanting to buy it...perhaps he was right...

I do know that I am not going to be a nice guy when I call Remington tomorrow. I have been nice and I have been patient. I am going to tell them I want the gun replaced.

shinerjohn

That is not very encouraging! They have mine now to "fix" pin...

R51Fan2017

Sheesh, Pat, I am really ashamed of Remington on this deal. Of course, if you are looking to dump it, I would be happy to buy it from you, maybe for $50.  ;) Anyways, a little duct tape over the hole should keep the pin from wandering too far away from home! ;D Sorry Pat, just trying to make light of a bad situation. So much for Remington taking care of their customers. The way they have handled you is unacceptable. Something tells me the whole Pedersen block assemble is screwed up. I say that because you seemed to have been having problems with the firing pin and such before you sent it in.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

This is very discouraging. I don't blame you at all Pat for wanting to off that gun now. However, it might be a good idea to keep sending these back on Remington's dime just to get the point across that there's a definite problem that needs a viable fix.

Zenshot

Sounds like Remington has no permanent fix for the issue.
-David

Pat Riot

I shipped my gun back to Remington. The man I talked to could not apologize enough. He said they would look at why this is happening and said they'd fix it. After some back and forth about aluminum frames, steel pins and how long the frame would hold up under multiple pin replacements he said he would have the gun re-evaluated and their fix may be to replace the gun with a new Huntsville model.

We'll see.

Oh, and R51 Fan, Thank you gor your generous offer, but no thanks.  ;)

Is this problem also happening with Huntsville guns?

Zenshot

Hasn't happened with my Huntsville model, but I still only have less than 500 rounds through it.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on July 13, 2018, 11:22:44 AM

Is this problem also happening with Huntsville guns?

I have 420 rounds through my Huntsville, and nothing yet. Of course, when I work up to the 1,000 round mark, it may happen. It sounds like an inevitable problem to me. I hope I'm wrong!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

shinerjohn

I am having the issue and I'm around the 1,000 round mark.  BUT, I don't know if I have a Huntsville model or not - Remington has my pistol!  I could find nothing on the box that indicates where it was made.  I THINK I remember seeing Huntsville on the slide or frame. When I get it back, I'll let y'all know.

tdbru

so far my Huntsville hasn't had a wandering pin, but round count only >500.  as an aside, if i do have the issue, i'm tempted to put it back in with red loctite and see if that keeps it in place.  and if i never have the problem, so much the better.  until more R51s get over the 1000 rd. number this issue will be hard to judge as a design oversight or an anomaly.
good luck with the repair from Remington.
-tdbru

Pat Riot

Quote from: tdbru on July 17, 2018, 12:04:15 AM
so far my Huntsville hasn't had a wandering pin, but round count only >500.  as an aside, if i do have the issue, i'm tempted to put it back in with red loctite and see if that keeps it in place.  and if i never have the problem, so much the better.  until more R51s get over the 1000 rd. number this issue will be hard to judge as a design oversight or an anomaly.
good luck with the repair from Remington.
-tdbru

Red loctite will not help. There is a Loctite for cylindrical interfaces that may work but it takes 500 degrees to free the part once this stuff is cured.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on July 19, 2018, 06:09:20 AM
There is a Loctite for cylindrical interfaces that may work but it takes 500 degrees to free the part once this stuff is cured.

Now that's more along the lines of what we need right there! Don't want it working out again period!

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

I have decided that if Remington does not replace my pistol and sends my Charlotte gun back I will try a roll pin if the problem rears its ugly gear again.

I am going to call Remington in Monday and see if they have had a chance to look at my gun. They have had it for a week now.

shinerjohn

They received mine on July 9. I received email this morning that it is being evaluated. I sent the pistol in with the pin still sticking out.