• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New R51 range report

Started by Zenshot, January 12, 2018, 09:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

So I bought a second R51 because I liked the first one and couldn't pass up the price with the rebate.  The new R51 is stamped Huntsville, AL while the first is stamped Charlotte, NC.  That's how I can tell which is which.
The new one arrived earlier this week and I gave it a cleaning and light lube. Took it to the range today and had zero problems.  Ran a couple of boxes of Remington UMC 115 grain FMC through it.  Loaded the pistol with a full 7+1 to see if it would cycle okay with a full mag.  Everything went fine.  The sights were right on target and no feeding, ejecting, or cycling problems at all.  The two mags look the same as the ones that came with the older Charlotte model, which is also working without issue.
On the next range trip, I'll run some Hornady XTP rounds through it.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on January 12, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
So I bought a second R51 because I liked the first one and couldn't pass up the price with the rebate.  The new R51 is stamped Huntsville, AL while the first is stamped Charlotte, NC.  That's how I can tell which is which.
The new one arrived earlier this week and I gave it a cleaning and light lube. Took it to the range today and had zero problems.  Ran a couple of boxes of Remington UMC 115 grain FMC through it.  Loaded the pistol with a full 7+1 to see if it would cycle okay with a full mag.  Everything went fine.  The sights were right on target and no feeding, ejecting, or cycling problems at all.  The two mags look the same as the ones that came with the older Charlotte model, which is also working without issue.
On the next range trip, I'll run some Hornady XTP rounds through it.

I would expect the R51 to run fine. Glad everything is banging on all cylinders for you, especially with the mags. So far, my R51 has eaten everything I have fed it.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

:) Excellent :)

The more success the better for sales which means we'll start seeing more aftermarket parts like sights, mags, grips and hopefully a decent trigger.

Zenshot

I've seen Trijicon night sights and some fiber optic sights on the Remington website. 
The R51 has received some good press in the NRA magazine.  Hopefully all the prior issues are resolved. 
-David

GrandpaX12

Can you provide a link to where these are at? I couldn't find them on the Remington web site.

funflyer

These are supposed to work but I haven't tried them. I'm going to the range today to figure out exactly which height I need and either order one or cut my original.

https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-black-front-sights/

Zenshot

Quote from: GrandpaX12 on January 14, 2018, 08:04:22 PM
Can you provide a link to where these are at? I couldn't find them on the Remington web site.

Well, I went to the website and the R51 sights are no longer there.  Must have sold out. They were there a couple weeks ago.
-David

Zenshot

Quote from: GrandpaX12 on January 14, 2018, 08:04:22 PM

I did find the night sights on the Trijicon website.
www.trijicon.com
They are the "Bright and Tough" series. I don't know how to include a direct link to the page.
-David

1911SHOOTER

GrandpaX12,
     Glad to oblige.   Go to the Trijicon page, place your cursor on the address line (URL)
Right click and then click on "copy" in the drop down.   To send the url, when you sign in on here
write your message, then click on "paste" at the end of your text.   
Hope this helps.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

I "might" put light pipes on the front of my two.
Since they both now wear lasers, no need for "nite sites"!

As to shooting low, I find that if one uses the police/military hold, (not 6 O'clock), the bullets go right to whatever I have covered with the tip of the front sight.

Personally, I dont want a bullseye shooter for instinctive self defence.

funflyer

I've been getting too used to the 12 0'clock POA so I decided to cut the original after the last range visit. Cut it from .180" down to .140". Got a chance to try out my Eastwood powder-coating gun today, thought it came out pretty good.

R51Fan2017

Todd,

You are a master at this! Very nice sight!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

So many guns, so little time!

funflyer

The sight mod was a piece of cake. Just don't tell my wife I cooked it in her oven to cure the powder. I have an oven in the garage but haven't hooked it up yet but she doesn't know that. I was going to order a Dawson sight but it would have had to be machined to contour it smooth like the original. I figured if I screwed up the original I'd call the Green Machine and tell them it fell off and got lost at the range, they'd of thought it was plausible since the gen1's were loose ;)

Zenshot

Put a box of Hornady 115 grain XTPs through the Huntsville model today and a few more FMJs.  No issues at all.  I don't know if the mags are different from the ones that came with the Charlotte model, but this one is carry ready!
-David