• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON HUNTSVILLE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, December 22, 2017, 05:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky150

After shooting at the range today I noticed that the Huntsville pistol with about 838 rounds on it had the mag release pin drifting out on the right side, about 3/16 of an inch.   I was able to reseat it but has anyone else had that issue??

FlatEarther

Yes. Mine is Charlotte Gen2.
I am right handed so use the left mag release button. This pushes the pin out of the right side.
At about 300 rounds total it moved right far enough to misalign with the left hole in the frame.
The pin is splined on the right side. Tried low strength Loctite on the spline but it did not last.
Now using high strength (red) Loctite. Only 100 rounds but holding so far.
Time will tell... Joe

R51Fan2017

So far 200 rounds through my Huntsville. No problems yet. Will keep an eye on it.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Believe it or not, I have not fired Smokey yet! 
I will review it when I fire it.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 23, 2017, 10:10:38 AM
Believe it or not, I have not fired Smokey yet! 
I will review it when I fire it.
Blackie

Blackie,

Seriously? How could you have not fired Smokie yet?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Rocky 150,
     Thanks for the heads up on the mag release pin.  I will watch for it.
Haven't seen it on my Charlotte Gen II, but have not fired my Huntsville
pistol yet.  Waiting for another freebie mag from Big Green.   Out of the two mags
that came with Smokey, one was FUBAR.

funflyer

Mine was still seated after 530 rounds, however it didn't give much resistance when I removed it. The trigger pin, same size, was a bit tighter. The hammer and sear pins were much more difficult to remove.

Rocky150

I have used the medium strength Lock tight twice...no luck.   The pin drifted within 25 rounds.   I am now using the really strong stuff.  I hope that it works or it is going back on warranty.

RRR

R51Fan2017

Almost 300 through mine right now. No pin drifting yet.

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Rocky150 on December 22, 2017, 05:08:22 PM
After shooting at the range today I noticed that the Huntsville pistol with about 838 rounds on it had the mag release pin drifting out on the right side, about 3/16 of an inch.   I was able to reseat it but has anyone else had that issue??

Rocky,
Aww, I do not want to hear that crap.  I have not even shot my Huntsville smokey yet.
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Has anyone thought about replacing the factory pin with a roll pin? The tension provided by the roll pin might just stop anymore drifting.

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on January 02, 2018, 09:14:21 AM
Has anyone thought about replacing the factory pin with a roll pin? The tension provided by the roll pin might just stop anymore drifting.

A roll, or coil pin won't work, unfortunately. Every pin in the R51 has a component either pivoting on it or, in the case of the mag release, moving laterally on it so anything other than a precision pin would hinder this movement. Loctite works but requires the parts to be extremely clean and oil free to hold.

If Loctite fails then the next option would be to use a new pin which is what Remington would probably do if sent back. I bet there is enough size variation on the serration end from pin to pin that they'd find one that fits tight. Eventually, if they see this issue enough, I would think they'd make an oversize pin rather than having to start replacing frames.

Another option, but a last resort, would be to install the pin from the left side of the frame.

R51Fan2017

I know Walther made a boat load of post war P38s that utilized aluminum frames with steel uppers, and they served the Germans well right up till 2004, but now I beginning to wonder if Remington's decision to use a aluminum frame was a dumb one or not. Is it possible that a pin could be wearing so much so fast? What kind of aluminum did they use? Chinese?  :o

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

FunFlyer,
Good call!
Now, can we get the pins from Big Green
Blackie

Rocky150

The first application of the really strong stuff did not survive 50 rounds at the range.   I brought it home and REALLY cleaned it up with everything, including rubbing alcohol.

Hopefully this does it or it goes back...... :(