• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Fully dedicated holsters; waiting for one!

Started by springfield art, December 13, 2017, 04:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springfield art

I'm holding off on any holsters for the R51; I want to see ones specifically dedicated to the pistol, not just a coincidental 'perfect fit', although I respect peoples' experiences and postings thereof...

Chokejug

Well, I found plenty of dedicated R51 IWB holsters, but only one so far that was for the R51 equiped with the CT Laserguard.  They had a 20% off sale on Monday, so I ordered one.

Two week try out, if one doest like their holster, the will refund, if you send it back within two weeks.

Now, I do have a new in the unopened box, another laser for the second one, and will send it to another company, if this holster doesnt work out. Actually found a number of companies willing there.

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: springfield art on December 13, 2017, 04:38:54 PM
I'm holding off on any holsters for the R51; I want to see ones specifically dedicated to the pistol, not just a coincidental 'perfect fit', although I respect peoples' experiences and postings thereof...

Did you see the photos I posted in another thread.  Perfect fit for my R51CT.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

gareds2009

Check out Thesis Holsters (https://www.theisholsters.com/).  They're custom made and the hybrid IWB one I got fits my R51 with laser like a glove.  Real comfortable to wear, too.

Chokejug

Quote from: gareds2009 on December 17, 2017, 09:58:06 PM
Check out Thesis Holsters (https://www.theisholsters.com/).  They're custom made and the hybrid IWB one I got fits my R51 with laser like a glove.  Real comfortable to wear, too.

Well, the Cross Breed that I ordered for the R51 with the CT Laserguard just came in today's mail!
Looks and feels great.
Just a bit over priced in my book, when standard pricing.
However, I got it on discount, which helped.

Brought it almost down to the "Clip" model Theisholsters..
And that one looks good to me also.
I absolutely hate those "two clip" ones!
Comfortable, but a bugger to set up and keep set up right.
At least the couple brands I have tried.

Chokejug

Well, after one day the Cross Breed is going back..
Should have known better.
That offset single belt clip is bad design.
An hour visiting the wife in the hospital witout the gun in it, and all but the clip itself slipped way below the belt line.  After I left the hospital, I had to um-buckle, drop my trousers and rescue it!

Completely unacceptable.
Already ordered a Theis.
But that is 2 or 3 weeks out.

That single clip has to be close to the center of both gun & holster.

Too bad, the holster itself was fine, "clicked" right in and out of it just as it should.

Chokejug

Well, wore it one more day, sacked it up and sent it back!
The Cross Breed with the one offset clip!
The El Cheapo South American leather one is better!

I made a comment to the girl on the phone about how that single, offset clip let the front of the holster drop down into the trousers if one moved around without the gun in the holster.  Impossible to then re-holster, without dropping your trousers!
She made a comment that makes me think she had heard that before!

Now, for someone willing to put up with two widely spaced clips, they would be a very comfortable holster.

Meantime, I just ordered a single, balanced, (centered), clip from Gold Star holsters in Nixa MO.
Its a very minimal, all kydex item.
We seem to have a bunch of holster makers here in this state!

BTW, these were both for the R51 with the CT red Laserguard, so you all know that they both also offer it standard without the laser as well.

I actually found numerous outfits now that do make them for the bare gun.
Must be getting more popular!  Yay!

Chokejug

Been using a "Gold Star" kydex for about two weeks.
Not as comfortable as the returned CrossBreed, ( if only they would put the belt clip right i the center, on the kydex itself), it would be a treiffic and comfortable holster!

But they dont offer it that way!
And seemed completely aware of their problem, but maybe too proud to fix it!

Now, today the Theis holster showed up.
Not as finished or quite as perfect fit as the CB, but much more useful.  Put it on, holstered the gun and forgot about it.  Now thats good!

The G S was too over designed, it had been engineered to work every where.  Right or left handed, appendex, side carry, small of the back, etc!

But the kydex ended 1/2 inch short of the rear sight, both sides, no matter how you set it up.
So, the top half of the gun had absolutely no holster material between the gun and your body.  It works but isnt very comfortable.

BTW, gareds2009, Thanks for the tip on the Theis brand!

I may well.try to modify the Gold Star a bit, glue some leather to the back possibly, after removing or reworking the left hand boss that bulges out into your side when set up for right hand carry.

Zenshot

Vedder Holsters and Pyntec Holsters look like good quality single clip kydex holsters. The Vedder is tuckable and the Pyntec uses a regular belt clip.

Black Arch, Foxx, Alien Gear, and Cooks also make R51 holsters.
-David

gareds2009

Quote from: Chokejug on January 06, 2018, 08:37:02 PM
Been using a "Gold Star" kydex for about two weeks.
Not as comfortable as the returned CrossBreed, ( if only they would put the belt clip right i the center, on the kydex itself), it would be a treiffic and comfortable holster!

But they dont offer it that way!
And seemed completely aware of their problem, but maybe too proud to fix it!

Now, today the Theis holster showed up.
Not as finished or quite as perfect fit as the CB, but much more useful.  Put it on, holstered the gun and forgot about it.  Now thats good!

The G S was too over designed, it had been engineered to work every where.  Right or left handed, appendex, side carry, small of the back, etc!

But the kydex ended 1/2 inch short of the rear sight, both sides, no matter how you set it up.
So, the top half of the gun had absolutely no holster material between the gun and your body.  It works but isnt very comfortable.

BTW, gareds2009, Thanks for the tip on the Theis brand!

I may well.try to modify the Gold Star a bit, glue some leather to the back possibly, after removing or reworking the left hand boss that bulges out into your side when set up for right hand carry.

You're welcome, Chokejug.  Glad I could help.

Chokejug

A good deal of my problem was that I was looking for a holster that wounld accept a R51 equipped with a CT red Laserguard.

Some where less than half of the makers that offer a holster for the R51, also offer it in the laser bearing form.

Chokejug

The Thesis holster is the best of what I have found readilly availabe as yet.

But, I have now modified the Gold Star, by riveting a sheet of leather to the back of the pure Kydex holster.
It's now much more comfortable, plus much easier to re-holster than anything I have tried previously.

I hate plain leather because it crushes under the belt tension, with the hybrid somewhat better, but there are still some problems re-holstering for this old fat man.

This modification of the pure Kydex one, solves virtually all the problems.
(This is IWB type of course.)

R51Fan2017

I've been using an Uncle Mike's size 15 and it works great. Nice and padded, and it fits snugly.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

Those types, as was my Paraguay learher one, that I used for a couple months are generic, not dedicated types.

Not trying to be snoty or anything, but what I and at least some others were looking for are the type that actually "lock" into said holster, just by "fit".  With these, there is no strap, but one could actually stand on ones head and the gun wouldnt fall out.

But still, the biggest thing to me is that they dont get crushed by the belt, and the gun can be reholstered quite easily!

Click/Clack, as they go in or out.

Chokejug

The reason for dedicated holsters and operator screw up.

Yesterday, while helping my wife with the recent hip replacement, out of the truck, and my hands overfilled as well, i had a dumb accident.

No excuse, and plenty of luck, the second R51 in a non-dedicated holster, (pocket type), slipped out of said holster, landing on the concrete xriveway.

Damn!
Good thing is that it passed the drop test!
But not so good for the finish!

I still had a good hold of the holster, but didnt block tbe gun from seperating from it.

I had removed it from the pocket hours earlier and had it in the console.  Just thought I would carry it into the house.  Wasnt careful enough.