• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Lowest and Highest Serial Number, Huntsville VS Charlotte

Started by R51Fan2017, December 11, 2017, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

In addition to my addiction to the R51, I also have another addiction as well......M1 Garands. As an avid collector of the M1 rifle, I am always intrigued by the lowest and highest serial numbers of each make made, and those in between. So now it is starting to carry over to the R51. I have a Huntsville stamped frame made in July of this year serial number 20614. My question is, what is an approximate serial number when frames started getting stamped Huntsville, and when Charlotte frames end? I know this may seem a bit crazy, but I just can't help but be curious since I think I have been inflicted with the terminal illness R51itis.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

First one, 361xx
Second one, 346xx
Third one, Well, we don't know yet, do we????

The second one must have lain on a shelf a bit, yeah?
Both Charlotte of course.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Chokejug on December 11, 2017, 11:56:56 PM
First one, 361xx
Second one, 346xx
Third one, Well, we don't know yet, do we????

The second one must have lain on a shelf a bit, yeah?
Both Charlotte of course.

Interesting, mine has a 20,000 serial number and was stamped Huntsville. Yours are later and they are stamped Charlotte. Maybe they found some extra stock of existing frames to finish? Or, keeping in mind that technically Charlotte frames are actually Gen 1 guns, they were part of original production, and they started over with serial number 1 at the beginning of Gen 2 production at Huntsville? I would think however, that they would simply have picked up where Gen 1 production left serial number wise. This is interesting indeed.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Mine is 109XX  from Charlotte.
Another interesting question.   Are the Smokeys on a different serial number run?
Mine is H023XXX, Assuming the H is for Huntsville.
Do any of the black R51s from Huntsville have an H in front of the serial number?
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 16, 2017, 10:08:02 AM
Mine is 109XX  from Charlotte.
Another interesting question.   Are the Smokeys on a different serial number run?
Mine is H023XXX, Assuming the H is for Huntsville.
Do any of the black R51s from Huntsville have an H in front of the serial number?
Blackie

Yes Blackie. Mine is Huntsville and it has a H prefix to the serial. That would be interesting to find out about the Smokeys and if they are on the same run or not?
UPDATE:  However, I think we have a trend going.....so far two Smokies with 23xxx serial numbers.

- Larry Elder

JDCRAB

On mine the number is 0025086R51 and the frame is stamped Charlotte NC.
Fealty to the 2nd amendment forever.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: JDCRAB on December 17, 2017, 08:10:44 AM
On mine the number is 0025086R51 and the frame is stamped Charlotte NC.

Highest serial number Charlotte so far. Like I said previously, mine is a AL gun and its serial is 20614. Also, answers a previous question that Blackie had, and that yours is missing the H prefix to the serial number, meaning that it must be specific to Huntsville. I wonder if Remington started over in a previous serial number block with the new production frames, and are working back up. If so, this could make for something interesting to look for.........duplicate serial numbers. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Charlotte and a Huntsville with the same serial number.  8)

- Larry Elder

FlatEarther

Purchased mine Jun 2017 and is Charlotte 00285xxR51... Joe

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Charlotte 0015xxxR51
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Rocky150

My Huntsville....H003xxxR51

My Charlotte ...  0010xxxR51

R51Fan2017

Rocky has just confirmed my suspicions. It looks like Remington started production fresh in Huntsville with a new serial number block.....probably starting at or below 3,000. Rocky, you have 3,xxx and to date is the LOWEST serial number on any R51 I have found. Gen 1 production in Charlotte reaching (thereabout) the highest serial number I have seen to date (36,1xx). With such a low serial number, this must mean Remington started completely fresh in Alabama. Also, something else to keep our eyes open for, there seems to be a trend with Smoke frames in the 23,xxx range. So far, I have seen two on this forum that have 23,xxx serial's, and one on display in a local shop with a 23,xxx serial number. Will the trend continue, or will it break at some point? Time will tell. Thanks for posting guys!

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

R51Fan,
     My serial number is H023102R51 on my Smokey!   I see no reason to hide the last
three numbers,   If my gun gets stolen, I will still  have the number to give the
police.
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 19, 2017, 07:12:03 PM
R51Fan,
     My serial number is H023102R51 on my Smokey!   I see no reason to hide the last
three numbers,   If my gun gets stolen, I will still  have the number to give the
police.
Blackie
There have been instances of fraudulent sellers on gun auction sites using serial numbers and photos harvested from sites such as this.  I doubt that it is common but it has happened and that would be one reason to not share the complete serial number.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Huntsville frame I saw on the shelf the other day was a 15000 number.

- Larry Elder

lane87