• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Slide Impossible to Rack With Full Mag

Started by R51Fan2017, November 29, 2017, 08:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Ok, so I have this problem that I know just about everyone else has, and I covered it in my review last week. It is starting to bug me know more than it did then, so there is one thing I have to get answered. Is there anyway to modify the mag or something in the gun in order for this thing to rack on a full mag without locking up, or do I just keep trying until it finally gets over it?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Mine has the same issue. I haven't tried the fix yet but will after another one of my problems is corrected.

I've read here, trimming the bottom of the follower 1/16" to 3/16" will allow the first round to feed properly when the slide is racked on a full mag.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on November 29, 2017, 08:38:15 PM
Ok, so I have this problem that I know just about everyone else has, and I covered it in my review last week. It is starting to bug me know more than it did then, so there is one thing I have to get answered. Is there anyway to modify the mag or something in the gun in order for this thing to rack on a full mag without locking up, or do I just keep trying until it finally gets over it?

R51Fan,
     Lock the slide back and insert the mag.   Pull the slide back and let it "slingshot" closed.    This is what Remington says to do in the manual
for the gun.   Mine is still stubborn about racking the first round.     I quit worrying about it.    When I am shooting the slide locks open on the
last round,  I slap in another mag, and sling shot it.
Don't know what to tell folks who favour the "Israeli Draw":.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 30, 2017, 07:42:39 AM

R51Fan,
     Lock the slide back and insert the mag.   Pull the slide back and let it "slingshot" closed.    This is what Remington says to do in the manual
for the gun.   Mine is still stubborn about racking the first round.     I quit worrying about it.    When I am shooting the slide locks open on the
last round,  I slap in another mag, and sling shot it.
Don't know what to tell folks who favour the "Israeli Draw":.
Blackie

Thanks 1911SHOOTER,
   Will just be content with locking the slide back for now. That's interesting about trimming the follower though. May have to give that a try.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

R51Fan,
for the gun.   

This is another oddity of the R51 and is something you absolutely do not want in a defense pistol. What are you supposed to do if clearing a jam during a firefight? You drop the mag, rack the slide to clear the round, now your slide is forward when you insert your new mag. Only way to make this work is to keep your backup mag loaded with only 6 rounds which would be, well, another oddity of the R51. Don't get me wrong, I really like my R51, I just need it to work properly if it's ever going to be my defense carry piece.

lklawson

Quote from: funflyer on November 30, 2017, 10:00:57 AM

R51Fan,
for the gun.   

This is another oddity of the R51 and is something you absolutely do not want in a defense pistol. What are you supposed to do if clearing a jam during a firefight? You drop the mag, rack the slide to clear the round, now your slide is forward when you insert your new mag. Only way to make this work is to keep your backup mag loaded with only 6 rounds which would be, well, another oddity of the R51. Don't get me wrong, I really like my R51, I just need it to work properly if it's ever going to be my defense carry piece.
For what it's worth, I've never had this problem with my R51.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Quote from: lklawson on November 30, 2017, 10:21:52 AM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You must have gotten lucky on your mags they provided you.

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on November 30, 2017, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: lklawson on November 30, 2017, 10:21:52 AM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You must have gotten lucky on your mags they provided you.
4 of the 2nd gen mags from two different sources and one of the 1st gen mags.  None of them have the issue.

I don't think I got lucky, I think you got unlucky.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

R51Fan,
for the gun.   

Funflyer,
     WHen you drop the empty mag, the slide is locked back.  Insert the new mag, pull back the slide and sling shot it.
No muss no fuss.
Blackie

russc2542

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 30, 2017, 04:39:28 PM

R51Fan,
for the gun.   

Funflyer,
     WHen you drop the empty mag, the slide is locked back.  Insert the new mag, pull back the slide and sling shot it.
No muss no fuss.
Blackie
clearing a malfunction involves racking the slide with no mag thus not locked back automatically for the following mag.

I can rack mine on a full mag with the originals and 4 extras i got. I think there may be more to the problem as there shouldn't be enough friction between the brass case and smooth stainless block to lock it up.

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: russc2542 on December 01, 2017, 11:53:01 AMI think there may be more to the problem as there shouldn't be enough friction between the brass case and smooth stainless block to lock it up.

Oh, there certainly is more than enough friction when that top cartridge is jammed up tight against the bottom of that block.  That's why trimming the follower pretty much fixes the problem; because, before it gets trimmed, the follower is jammed up tight against the bottom of the mag when 7 rounds are inserted.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Hello all,
     Re the mag problems,   Maybe Big Green should hire all of us as consultants.
We are the ones having the problems and fixing them our selves.   :)
Or at the least, one of Big Greens engineers should start reading our
comments and fixes.

Kirk, you seeing this?

Blackie

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 01, 2017, 08:49:05 PM
Hello all,
comments and fixes.

Kirk, you seeing this?

Blackie

I agree wholeheartedly! Maybe we could get a small bonus for our design changes??  ;D

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Looks like 1/16" is about all you need to remove from the bottom of the followers to get a reliable full mag feed from a closed slide. I removed a little at a time then reassembled and tested it. When it finally started to feed nicely I measured the follower @.060" shorter.

You guys are absolutely right, we shouldn't have to re-engineer anything to make it work but what are our alternatives? Wait for Remington, or worse...ProMag :'(

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 01, 2017, 08:49:05 PM
Hello all,
comments and fixes.

Kirk, you seeing this?

Blackie
I'd be glad to take their money.  :)

I've got a friend who is a Remington certified Armorer.  Apparently they've got some rock solid NDA's and are very happy with their own Engineers.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk