• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

First Range Day with the New R51 and Review

Started by R51Fan2017, November 24, 2017, 10:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 12, 2017, 10:14:16 AM
R51Fan,
     Have you tried the mags that came with your second R51 in the original gun?
When my "Smokey" gets here tomorrow,  I will number the new mags #6 and #7.
Then, I will shoot all of the mags in my black R51,  Log any discrepancies and
then shoot all the mags in "Smokey".   See what happens.
#1 and #2 orig mags came with Black R51
#3 came from online vendor.
#4 and #5 new mags from big green with different part number
#6 and#7 will be mags that come with Smokey.  These I will not make any mods to.
I will not shoot Smokey dirty,  it will get cleaned after each session.
My black R51 continues to perform after 400 rounds shooting dirty.
Blackie

Blackie,

I did try the other mags, and they are better. Still tough, but nonetheless better. Please post pics of Smokey when it comes in. Would like to see it before and after the bone grips!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on December 12, 2017, 11:24:10 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 12, 2017, 10:14:16 AM
R51Fan,
     Have you tried the mags that came with your second R51 in the original gun?
When my "Smokey" gets here tomorrow,  I will number the new mags #6 and #7.
Then, I will shoot all of the mags in my black R51,  Log any discrepancies and
then shoot all the mags in "Smokey".   See what happens.
#1 and #2 orig mags came with Black R51
#3 came from online vendor.
#4 and #5 new mags from big green with different part number
#6 and#7 will be mags that come with Smokey.  These I will not make any mods to.
I will not shoot Smokey dirty,  it will get cleaned after each session.
My black R51 continues to perform after 400 rounds shooting dirty.
Blackie

Blackie,

I did try the other mags, and they are better. Still tough, but nonetheless better. Please post pics of Smokey when it comes in. Would like to see it before and after the bone grips!

R51Fan,
      I have not yet gotten the hang of picture size when transferring phhotos.
I will send  you a URL for the grips.  on a Black R51 might give you an idea. 
Or PM me your email, and I can send them that way
Blackie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-R51-Custom-BONE-Grips-Signed-by-Maker/132420489785?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49565%26meid%3D27ae38f5e9b44e12bf46d9f4b5515654%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D132407114129&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850
So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Hey Blackie, it seems we have the same problem.
My pictures, as stored, are apparenttly way too big to post on here.

And I have no idea on how to make them suitable!

On another note, I just ordered and it should arrive this Friday, a favorite of yours.
Yep, in my old age yet, my first "real " 1911.

Getting a RIA combo in both 9mm and .22 TCM.
Should kick those little 40 grain .22s out there at about 2000 fps!
And holds 17 plus one.  Virtually, a one hand, miniture AR15.
Much prettier and more handy than the so called, "AR 15 pistol"!

Cant wait to make some fireballs!

1911SHOOTER

Choke,
     Can't wait to hear how it shoots for you.   You may be surprised at the mild recoil
shooting the 9MM barrel.   The .22TCM  does not have much more recoil than
a .22 Magnum pistol.
There is a 22TCM forum for the pistol.
Blackie

http://www.22tcm.net/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=0ef201cd76b3545c989115eb9471ed18

Chokejug

Picked it up after dark tonite.
Shooting it has to wait until tomorrow.
But it will happen!

For me, they seldom go unfired over nite!
Shortly after noon I would say.
It's a real hand full.

Also picked up a used Bianchi shoulder holster for it.  (Or anything else that will clamp between those two spring loaded leather lips!)

Think it will make a fine holster the next time I want to carry one of the .44 mags deer hunting.  Either Smith or Ruger, plus this baby for varmints.  Have a long rang green laser that likely will make it installed yet tonite.

Xtratoy

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 02, 2017, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: paul7177 on December 02, 2017, 02:14:23 PM
Thanks for the nice review. There have been several magazine modifications mentioned over time.  What did you do to your magazines?

Paul,
     Are you having a problem with your mags?   Let us know, and we can walk you through the fixes.    Other than that,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.   :)
Blackie
I was wondering if a sticky could be made with magazine fixes and other common fixes listed.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Xtratoy on January 07, 2018, 02:25:22 PM

I was wondering if a sticky could be made with magazine fixes and other common fixes listed.

I will have to ask Robert about that. He could probably set that up.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 07, 2018, 08:36:13 PM
Xtratoiy,]   
what is a sticky?
biackie

Blackie,

A Sticky, is a thread that has been permanently posted at the top of the page by the forum administrator. For example, the one that Robert posted about his Acme Gun Cleaning Supplies. It is always readily available to post to for anyone. Instead of having to scroll through hundreds of pages to find it, it is always on the top of the first page.

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks, looking at ways to fix my magazines, too.  Finally joined so I can participate. 

I bought the R51 for the looks and rebate, love the intuitive aiming and like the feel.  I like that my 11 year old daughter has no trouble racking the slide when dry firing.  But, I tried out my magazines with snap caps and noticed the failures to feed (is that FTF's or F'sTF?).  When I called Remington and said the magic words (FTF) I got two new ones in the mail.  No packaging, just 2 magazines in an envelope.  Kind of weird.

I tried different modifications on the different magazines to see which worked and short answer is none worked flawlessly. 
On one I shortened the spring one loop to get the 7th round in.
Another I shortened the follower legs 1/8".
Another I bent the lip up on the front.
The fourth I didn't change at all.

The fourth one had FTF with every round, turning the R51 into a single shot piece, had to be racked every round.
The others varied with nose dives on the first round, sometimes the last round FTF, and one stove piped live round. 

Is there a combination of fixes I should try?  I only get to the range maybe once/month, so it's hard to tweak, then shoot, then tweak some more.  I've also read about tapering the follower legs.  Haven't tried that, just shortened one follower. 

Did I screw up the magazine when I cut the spring (I'd read that somewhere, too).  Can I get a replacement spring and start over?

A sticky with magazine options would be helpful, or maybe just some feedback. 

I contacted Remington again, and they want me to send the R51 in, but I'm hesitant to do that.  Mostly because it seems like a hassle and I don't think they'll fix anything.

Any suggestions?  My R51 has a Charlotte SN. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on January 11, 2018, 01:25:38 PM
I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks, looking at ways to fix my magazines, too.  Finally joined so I can participate. 

I bought the R51 for the looks and rebate, love the intuitive aiming and like the feel.  I like that my 11 year old daughter has no trouble racking the slide when dry firing.  But, I tried out my magazines with snap caps and noticed the failures to feed (is that FTF's or F'sTF?).  When I called Remington and said the magic words (FTF) I got two new ones in the mail.  No packaging, just 2 magazines in an envelope.  Kind of weird.

I tried different modifications on the different magazines to see which worked and short answer is none worked flawlessly. 
On one I shortened the spring one loop to get the 7th round in.
Another I shortened the follower legs 1/8".
Another I bent the lip up on the front.
The fourth I didn't change at all.

The fourth one had FTF with every round, turning the R51 into a single shot piece, had to be racked every round.
The others varied with nose dives on the first round, sometimes the last round FTF, and one stove piped live round. 

Is there a combination of fixes I should try?  I only get to the range maybe once/month, so it's hard to tweak, then shoot, then tweak some more.  I've also read about tapering the follower legs.  Haven't tried that, just shortened one follower. 

Did I screw up the magazine when I cut the spring (I'd read that somewhere, too).  Can I get a replacement spring and start over?

A sticky with magazine options would be helpful, or maybe just some feedback. 

I contacted Remington again, and they want me to send the R51 in, but I'm hesitant to do that.  Mostly because it seems like a hassle and I don't think they'll fix anything.

Any suggestions?  My R51 has a Charlotte SN.

Welcome Crosstrains,

First off, DO NOT SEND YOUR GUN BACK IN. Or at least don't send it back in unless the gun is at fault. But from what you have said, it isn't the gun. From what I gather, the magazines are at it again. Obviously you were going to have problems with the fourth because you didn't change anything. However, shortening the spring on link, and the follower shouldn't have had anything to do with those problems. Only thing I have done to my mags is bend the lip out straight, and that is it, they function fine. I need to shorten my springs to make loading easier. When you mentioned having the gun turned into a single shot, have you field stripped the gun yet? If you have, it may not be magazine related at all. Rather, you may have put the slide stop lever in wrong, and installed it with the little tab in the back resting on top of the slide lock spring rather than underneath it. This is something Remington warns folks about in the manual and online. If it were me, I would try again with another magazine and only bend the lip out straight, and try this whole enchilada again. I don't think your gun is at fault though.

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

Thanks, R51Fan.  I have field stripped it and was careful with the slide lock spring.  When it turned into a single shot, is was locking up on every round from that unmodified magazine. 

So bending the lip affects the nosedives and trimming the follower is just for the difficulty loading the last round?  I cut the spring thinking the spring was powerful enough that it caused the top round to jam so hard against the slide, making it difficult to rack.  I guess that's similar to others just leaving the magazine fully loaded.  I'm afraid it may affect the final round,though, and not be strong enough to push it high enough to feed.  Not sure, though.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on January 11, 2018, 02:32:46 PM
Thanks, R51Fan.  I have field stripped it and was careful with the slide lock spring.  When it turned into a single shot, is was locking up on every round from that unmodified magazine. 

So bending the lip affects the nosedives and trimming the follower is just for the difficulty loading the last round?  I cut the spring thinking the spring was powerful enough that it caused the top round to jam so hard against the slide, making it difficult to rack.  I guess that's similar to others just leaving the magazine fully loaded.  I'm afraid it may affect the final round,though, and not be strong enough to push it high enough to feed.  Not sure, though.

Crosstrains,

I believe that it is a combination of the spring and follower. Bending the lip forward prevents nosedives from happening, and trimming the follower 3/16" helps with racking the slide on a fully loaded magazine. I don't think cutting one link of the spring out would hurt anything though. It is ridiculously tough.

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Crosstrains,
     I bent out the bends off two of my mags and they work fine.  I have 8 Mags now,
4 that came with my two pistols, One I bought on ebay, and three freebies from
Big Green.   The 8th mag, I am not going to do anything to until I can get to the range
at "Just Glocks", in Copperas Cove, and shoot it
Bending the lips helps Immensely.
BTW, leaving the mags loaded will not hurt the spring one way or the other.
I googled that, and most real shooters poo-poo that myth about "Breaking in the springs".

Blackie