• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 disassembly nono!

Started by 1911SHOOTER, November 10, 2017, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

I just received an email from Big Green.   In response to a request for a manual for disassembly of the R51. Their reply as follows.

" Sir, no we do not offer such a manual , only the owners manual . We do not recommend breaking the pistol down any further than what is  offered in the owners manual . Thank you ."

Blackie

So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 10, 2017, 02:38:31 PM
I just received an email from Big Green.   In response to a request for a manual for disassembly of the R51. Their reply as follows.

" Sir, no we do not offer such a manual , only the owners manual . We do not recommend breaking the pistol down any further than what is  offered in the owners manual . Thank you ."

Blackie

Did you really expect anything different?  I wouldn't.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Tucker

I saw a computer generated video showing the full breakdown of the R51. Thought it would be a good way to deep-clean it. I was so tired of jamming, I thought it couldn't hurt.

The pins are in so tight, I feared damaging the frame, I got the pin with the hammer spring out, but didn't get the next one to budge.  Now I cannot reassemble the darn thing.  It was an unfortunate choice on my part to try this.

If you are addressing jams, it sounds like the mags are the place to focus.

I do not recommend disassembly beyond what the manual shows. If you do, best of luck.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Tucker on November 11, 2017, 02:32:01 PM
I saw a computer generated video showing the full breakdown of the R51. Thought it would be a good way to deep-clean it. I was so tired of jamming, I thought it couldn't hurt.

The pins are in so tight, I feared damaging the frame, I got the pin with the hammer spring out, but didn't get the next one to budge.  Now I cannot reassemble the darn thing.  It was an unfortunate choice on my part to try this.

If you are addressing jams, it sounds like the mags are the place to focus.

I do not recommend disassembly beyond what the manual shows. If you do, best of luck.

Same thing Remington recommends.   Taking apart an R51 further than the manual says is a no-no..   There is a video on Youtube and just watching it is scary.
Hope you get it back together.  Maybe this will help.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqAwUJPcyc
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!