• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

What if????

Started by Chokejug, November 05, 2017, 12:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chokejug

Always thought it might be wise to at least some times have a back up gun.
But didn't want a huge full size and some tiny little revolver, or anything close to that configuration.

Now, for some years, I carried a compact IWB, but there are times that just a plain simple "pocket carry", commando, or with a pocket holster, is simpler, but sometimes just not enough.  Hard to get to, when sitting down, etc.

So, my thoughts are, get this R51 dead nuts reliable, (think it's getting close now), and then pick up another.

Yep, one pocket, one IWB!

Very same mags, so no hassle in grabbing the wrong mag, (caliber), at the wrong time there!
Every thing is the same!

Two guns, 3 or 4 mags.

Your thoughts?

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on November 05, 2017, 12:52:36 AM
But didn't want a huge full size and some tiny little revolver, or anything close to that configuration.

Now, for some years, I carried a compact IWB, but there are times that just a plain simple "pocket carry", commando, or with a pocket holster, is simpler, but sometimes just not enough.  Hard to get to, when sitting down, etc.

So, my thoughts are, get this R51 dead nuts reliable, (think it's getting close now), and then pick up another.

Very same mags, so no hassle in grabbing the wrong mag, (caliber), at the wrong time there!
Every thing is the same!

Two guns, 3 or 4 mags.

Your thoughts?

Jug,
     What ever makes you comfortable.   Me, I like to have my Hi-Cap 1911 on my hip,  and my back up is my R51.  Both are 9MM
so no fuss over calibre.   I have a piece of leather in my back pocket so my R51 does not wear out my pocket.   When I am in
the car, I put in the console.   I wear a size large short sleeved shirt in the summer  untuckedt,   so my 1911 does not show.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Well, I now "own" two R51s, even if I dont have the second one in hand yet.
Cabelas, 30 miles away, until we get one here next spring, THIS side of the state line, has them and the R9 plus the RM380 on sale.  $250 for the R380 and the $100 rebate, (black Friday), brings it down to $150 plus tax for the gun.

The R51, $350 minus the $100 rebate equals $250 for the gun.  I chose the R51 WITH the CT laser, for $450 and the rebate brings that down to $350.

Of course, they had to be shipped, another $25 charge, only the dealer transfer fee left.

Now, one in the pocket and one IWB!
Well, shortly anyway.

And deep cover, the RM380 of course, that is coming as well.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on November 05, 2017, 12:52:36 AM

Every thing is the same!

Two guns, 3 or 4 mags.

Your thoughts?

Jug,
     Whatever frosts your cake.   Your thinking is dead on.  If you are going to carry a 9MM with a 7 rd mag, two won't hurt.
Blackie

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: Chokejug on November 11, 2017, 06:29:36 PM

For a CC .380, I would not give up my CZ83.  It shoots everything well and accurate.  Buffalo Bore +P ammo for CC.  Not the first snafu, ever!

It's a shame that CZUSA stopped selling them.

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on November 12, 2017, 06:11:20 AM
Quote from: Chokejug on November 11, 2017, 06:29:36 PM

For a CC .380, I would not give up my CZ83.  It shoots everything well and accurate.  Buffalo Bore +P ammo for CC.  Not the first snafu, ever!

It's a shame that CZUSA stopped selling them.

Dutch,
I still have my CZ82!   Several years ago, it developed a glitch,  would only fire from a sideways hold.  Something in the trigger linkage broke. 
Called CZ and they fixed it for free.
Shoots 9X18 ammo.
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Good idea. Frankly though, if you get yours 100% reliable, it might make a good MAIN carry gun. Or you could carry two (on for the main gun, and one back up) and four mags, and you would be set. That way you would have interchangability with mags and ammo.  Or who knows, you may want to purchase another and leave it still in the cosmoline wrap in the box, and stuff it in the safe. They could become collector guns in the future!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder