• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

The Bend!

Started by 1911SHOOTER, October 30, 2017, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

For those interested, I found out what the bend is for in the top front of the mag.
it stops the follower from coming up further.
There is a hump on the front of the follower that hits that bend, and stops the
follower from coming up any further. 

BTW,  The gun fed every time with the bend straightened,  I shot a 100 rds of (GASP!)
Winchester White box through it.   Worst torture I could think of.
Anyway, I bent it back like it was.  It will be a range mag for a while.  I've got
4 more.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on October 31, 2017, 03:19:23 PM
Thanks Blackie.

Dutch,
     After further thought,  I may bend the bend back straight, and see how long it lasts.
After all I do not plan to carry 4 extra mags when I carry the R51.   And I do intend
to carry it with the other four good mags.   The 5th mag will still be a range (experimental)  mag.
Blackie

Chokejug

So, the ARX cartriges came yesterday.
Problem, I thought that I was getting 250 of them at a super price!
Only 50 came, the other 200 were "mstching practice" rounds!

So, today I unloaded the steel case, Winchester Forged rounds from both mags in preperation for testing some ARX,  very light bullets from Magtech, along with some also light frangible loads fron DRT.

Those damn steel cases, even just using my thumb had a fondness for diving into that "bend"!  Round nose, I also am thinking that bend is a problem.
But "necessary" to keep the follower from flying out?

Now, I havent modified the followers legs as yet either.  And upon "taking a little shortcut", just slamming home one cartridge without feeding it from the mag and then inserting a full, (7 rd), mag, that the slide appeared to be locked up tight.  Couldnt budge it by hand and it was even VERY difficult to  unlatch the mag to remove it. 

(All the time I spent here, I was thinking "what if" it was being " impounded" by some LEO that just wasnt familiar with such a "jam"), and what if I just fired it that way???

So, I did!  Worked perfectly!  Matter of fact, the 25 rounds or so that just destroyed about that many frost bitten" runt watermelons, had absolutely zero malfunctions.

I know, small sample, but all previous malfunctions occured with those sticky steel cases.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on October 31, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
So, the ARX cartriges came yesterday.
Problem, I thought that I was getting 250 of them at a super price!
Only 50 came, the other 200 were "mstching practice" rounds!

So, today I unloaded the steel case, Winchester Forged rounds from both mags in preperation for testing some ARX,  very light bullets from Magtech, along with some also light frangible loads fron DRT.

Those damn steel cases, even just using my thumb had a fondness for diving into that "bend"!  Round nose, I also am thinking that bend is a problem.
But "necessary" to keep the follower from flying out?

Now, I havent modified the followers legs as yet either.  And upon "taking a little shortcut", just slamming home one cartridge without feeding it from the mag and then inserting a full, (7 rd), mag, that the slide appeared to be locked up tight.  Couldnt budge it by hand and it was even VERY difficult to  unlatch the mag to remove it. 

(All the time I spent here, I was thinking "what if" it was being " impounded" by some LEO that just wasnt familiar with such a "jam"), and what if I just fired it that way???

So, I did!  Worked perfectly!  Matter of fact, the 25 rounds or so that just destroyed about that many frost bitten" runt watermelons, had absolutely zero malfunctions.

I know, small sample, but all previous malfunctions occured with those sticky steel cases.

Jug,
     Those "Damn steel cases" and any other round will hang up on the bend when you try to unload by hand.   Drives me crazy.
When it happens. I just load the seventh round back in the mag and pop them off.   I love this pistol, but the mags leave much to be desired.
Takes a lot of experimenting to get the hang of them and get them to working. I have two mags I trust for carry, and I have them numbered 1 thru 5
to keep track of them.   Would hate to get number 5 in the gun and then need it to work flawlessly.
BTW, those steel rounds from WInchester work great in my gun.   Every time!
Blackie

Chokejug

As of yet, I havent tried the Win white box brass cased type, but just from other experiene, I expect them to beat the steel cased ones, big time.
Maybe tomorrow!

The only good thing I havd to say about the steel cases is that I dont have any qualms, just letting them lay, where ever they fall.

Bugs me a bit leaving good brass behind!

Chokejug

First "extra" mag showed up today.
2 more i route.

Going the try this one without modification for now.

Havet ran any more Winchester Forged, with the steel cases, but every other type ammo is working fine now.  Run a few through it every day or two.
Havent had any misquifts in quite a few days now.

More ARX coming in tomorrow.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on November 05, 2017, 11:40:12 PM
First "extra" mag showed up today.
2 more i route.

Going the try this one without modification for now.

Havet ran any more Winchester Forged, with the steel cases, but every other type ammo is working fine now.  Run a few through it every day or two.
Havent had any misquifts in quite a few days now.

More ARX coming in tomorrow.

Jug,
If you have any more of the Win Forged, try them again.   I bent the flap back almost straight on #5 mag,  and it seems to be OK.
I will shoot it for a while to see if the follower tries to pop out.
Blackie