• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New R51 mags in the mail?

Started by 1911SHOOTER, October 22, 2017, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

I just got an email from UPS telling me I have a package coming from Remington.
Only thing I am expecting is two "new and improved" magazines.  Any body else
get one of these notifications?   I know several of us have been told by Remington
that we would get two new magazines.  Package will be here Monday, and I will
let you all know if it was  in fact the magazines.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

On Aug 30 Remington said they would send me two magazine and provided a sales invoice.  So far, !0/22, nothing more from them.

Correction:  I just went to my UPS page, and it shows a delivery from Remington to be made on Tuesday, 10/24.  It will be interesting to see what they have accomplished, if anything.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Origin scan for the package is Memphis, TN, so they're obviously not coming from the Huntsville plant.

Imported?  Memphis is a big distribution point for imported products.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Chokejug

I "suppose"that my new R51, that just came yesterday has the "new ones"?

Any way, they certainly have a super "non-intuitive" lip bend!
It looks like there is a tiny lip bent up directly in line "to stop", even a round nosed bullet!
And in fact did exactly that for me, maybe 8 or ten times out of 84 rounds fired yesterday!

It looks to me like a Rube Goldgberg attempt to stop "nose diving"!

If that is their "fix", to keeping the first two rounds in the magazine from doing so, it is sure a sorry attempt!

Too early, and not enough info yet, to be making any modifications, but certainly a possibility.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on October 28, 2017, 10:02:28 PM
I "suppose"that my new R51, that just came yesterday has the "new ones"?

Any way, they certainly have a super "non-intuitive" lip bend!
It looks like there is a tiny lip bent up directly in line "to stop", even a round nosed bullet!
And in fact did exactly that for me, maybe 8 or ten times out of 84 rounds fired yesterday!

It looks to me like a Rube Goldgberg attempt to stop "nose diving"!

If that is their "fix", to keeping the first two rounds in the magazine from doing so, it is sure a sorry attempt!

Too early, and not enough info yet, to be making any modifications, but certainly a possibility.

Choke,
     Now that I have 5 magazines, I think I will take one and bend that little tab up straight. 
I did, with a punch in a vise and tapped the little bent portion straight.   When loading or unloading the mag by hand, now I  can tell no difference.  Before or after.  I will shoot
the mag tomorrow, and let all know if there is any difference.
Blackie

Chokejug

Well, modified my so far, two factory mags, 3/16" off the folower legs and everything seems to be working fine now.
Havent had any type of failure since.
Its just eating everything I have fed it.

3 more mags coming shortly.
Will decide when they get here, modify or not.

Chokejug

Oh, forgot to mention that this also cured the "bound up slide", when slide is closed and a magazine with 7 cartridges loaded, is locked into place.

That had been binding up the slide so much that one couldn't retract the slide by hand and even the magazine latch button was very, very hard to operate.

Simple "stack height' problem!
Some engineer didn't allow enough clearance and no one else caught the mistake, apparently.

Remove at least 1/16 of an inch and maybe up to 3/16 of an inch off the bottom of the legs on the magazine follower, (like numerous others have done here), and it not only works, but the slide is no longer bound up with a full load.

Try to keep the bottom of those legs angled the same as it was to start with.

Chokejug

Still haven't received the last two mags, they are coming with the second R51 that I should get on Monday.  (It's been an absolute nightmare, getting them, R51 and RM380 shipped 25 miles across the state line, been over a week now!)

Cabelas or the new FFL, or maybe even both!

But the "follower trimmed" (originals that came with the gun), ones continue to work splendidly!

The E-bay one that I bought, seems to have a softer spring, gave it it's first full loading right after I got it, by HAND! 

Absolutely could NOT do that with the two originals!
And tried it out for the first time today, no modifications!
Ran a mix of Win Forged Steel case crap and some non ARX, (un-fluted) brass cases, just perfect!

Mag generation #3 ???????

BTW, the new R51 that I still don't have, has a lower S/N than the one that I got 6 weeks ago.  (Both have SC frames).

Chokejug

Well!
Finaly!
Cabelas finaly shipped my guns today!

11 miserable days later!

Should be here tomorrow PM!

I have always expected and recieved good service from Cabelas, but not this time!
It took a full week before I caught wind that they and my FFL were having trouble getting their acts together.

So, I held both of their hands until they finally got on the same page.  So, they were completely ready to ship last Thursday evening.  Should have went out for the 25/30 mile journey across the state line Friday AM!

Guess what?
They finally shipped them, 5:47 PM today!

Still am not going to hold my breath!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Two "new" mags arrived from Remington today.  Each was in a small bubble wrap envelope with the number "F304502" written by hand with a magic marker on a plain white label.

Side by side comparison with the in the box mags and the two sent previously doesn't show any discernible difference between the three sets.  The follower spring in this latest pair seems to be stiffer than the last pair, but that's purely a difference felt when compressing
the spring by hand.  When I get some time, I'll take them to the range to see if they shoot any different that the previous four.

1911SHOOTER

Dutch,
     I have gotten 3 mags from Big Green, and they were all wrapped in
bubble wrap.
     All three reacted differently when I tried them in my two R51s.
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on February 13, 2018, 03:18:26 PM
Dutch,
bubble wrap.
Blackie

More than likely factory rejects they just threw in the wrapper. If they were really new magazines, I would expect them to be in that plastic box packaging that is a PITA to get open. Bass Pro here has some available, but they are $35. Too high for my budget. Ironically, they have no more R51s though.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on February 13, 2018, 03:37:48 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on February 13, 2018, 03:18:26 PM
Dutch,
bubble wrap.
Blackie

More than likely factory rejects they just threw in the wrapper. If they were really new magazines, I would expect them to be in that plastic box packaging that is a PITA to get open. Bass Pro here has some available, but they are $35. Too high for my budget. Ironically, they have no more R51s though.

These last two from Remington had scratches on the tops of the followers, like they may have been used a time or three.  Maybe they were testing them to be sure they were good before sending them out?

R51Fan2017

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on February 14, 2018, 03:43:15 PM
These last two from Remington had scratches on the tops of the followers, like they may have been used a time or three.  Maybe they were testing them to be sure they were good before sending them out?

Dutch:

My last one from Remington had the same feature. Except those scratches on mine look more like die grinder marks where it must have gotten away from somebody.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

sebvox

Sorry to resurrect an old post.  It looks like the mags with the P/N F304502 were from an authorized Remington warranty center.  The Gravel Agency is their OEM parts manufacturer and warranty center in Canada.  Remington doesn't post this information on their US website.  Perhaps the Gravel Agency was handling all the warranty issues for the R51?  P/N 17696 is the US retail equivalent.

https://www.remingtoncountrycanada.com/remen/replacement-parts-oem/remington/handgun/r51.html

https://remingtoncanada.com/en/support/repair-service

- Erik