• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Article by Wiley Clapp on American Rifleman

Started by SCurmudgeon, September 22, 2017, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCurmudgeon

This article is generally positive and goes into excruciating detail regarding the Pederson block.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/22/second-chance-remington-s-revised-r51-pistol/

Given how long we've been talking about magazine mods here, I thought this bit was interesting:

"...I was most interested in seeing how the new R51 shot... There were problems with the first two magazines. The pistol would not efficiently strip the top round out of the magazine and feed it into the chamber. After a fair amount of effort expended, including several trips to the range, I gave up and reported the problem to Remington.

In short order, I received new magazines. With a variety of ammunition, I headed back to the range and enjoyed a morning of completely trouble-free shooting. The gun functioned perfectly with the new magazines."

armed citizen

So Remington sent this guy 2 upgraded magazines.  There is the old style with the thin base, and the new style with the thicker base that I assume was sent to the writer of this article.  I have the new style mags, and have never had an issue with feeding correctly. ;D ;D ;D
armed citizen

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: armed citizen on September 22, 2017, 10:50:02 PM
So Remington sent this guy 2 upgraded magazines.  There is the old style with the thin base, and the new style with the thicker base that I assume was sent to the writer of this article.  I have the new style mags, and have never had an issue with feeding correctly. ;D ;D ;D

Citizen,
     Every body on this blog presumably has the Gen II.   And many of us had to modify our magazines to get the pistols to work. 
"This Guy" compared the part numbers on the new mags with the original gen II mags and they were different, which tells me
that Remington got sneaky and upgraded the mags without telling the publiic.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

LouisianaMan

Old shooter, rookie at this forum. Glad y'all are here, because I've got the exact same problems.

Finding posts on this forum indicating the new mags have a DIFFERENT PART NUMBER is a huge red flag that Remington goofed, figured it out and fixed it, but stealthily took a "buyer beware" approach to buyers who took them at their word that the Gen 1 problems were fixed.

Why not send out replacement mags to owners and handle this the right way? Embarrassing, surely, but better to admit it openly and fix it gracefully.

I wrote Rem CS asking for 3 replacement mags (I'd bought a third one), and hope to get the "good stuff" this time.

In the meantime, I should remove about 3/16" from the bottoms of my mag followers to get proper use out of them?

NH_Shoots

Thanks for the link to the article! "Excruciating detail," yes, but the description of the "Pederson hesitation" lock finally gave me the clue I needed to understand why I had such difficulty reassembling the slide onto the frame.  I could see on mine that the slots inside the slide (the ones that mate to the frame front rails) are actually obstructed by the Pederson Breech Block when the it is held in place by the barrel/spring (as shown in the Remington video).  The Pederson breech block stops the slide right at the front rail due to its obstruction of the slots when I try to reassemble.  I had thought the rails needed to be clear in order for the slide to go back onto the frame, but that's not quite right.  You simply push and wiggle (the slide only—don't push on the barrel in any way) and the slide will move a tiny bit beyond the block while the block is held by the front edge of the frame rail.  This allows the slide to push the block down same way as it does after firing (as described in the detailed section of the article on the Pederson action).  The now dropped block clears the slots in the slide to allow it past the frame front rails.  Best to be holding down the ejector as you do this, or it may pivot upwards and you have to start over. 
Once I got a feel for it, it was easy to reassemble.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on September 22, 2017, 01:36:15 PM
This article is generally positive and goes into excruciating detail regarding the Pederson block.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/22/second-chance-remington-s-revised-r51-pistol/

Given how long we've been talking about magazine mods here, I thought this bit was interesting:

"...I was most interested in seeing how the new R51 shot... There were problems with the first two magazines. The pistol would not efficiently strip the top round out of the magazine and feed it into the chamber. After a fair amount of effort expended, including several trips to the range, I gave up and reported the problem to Remington.

In short order, I received new magazines. With a variety of ammunition, I headed back to the range and enjoyed a morning of completely trouble-free shooting. The gun functioned perfectly with the new magazines."

SCurmudgeon,
     It is a comprehensive and well thought out article.
However, I do not see any of us getting a new set of magazines as rapidly as Mr. Wiley  . (In short order)!   Much less a "variety of ammunition".
Blackie

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on September 22, 2017, 01:36:15 PM

SCurmudgeon,
     After further thought,  All, or most of us have had the same problem that Wiley Clapp had with the mags.   We cannot, like good ol' Wiley, call Remington and
say, Hi, I am a popular well respected writer of gun reviews, and I need a couple of new magazines, and presto, they are in the mail. 
Remington should fess up and let us know one way or the other what they did to the magazines, or if they even did anything other than change part numbers.
Big Green is still keeping us in the dark.   Pity their web page does not have a "Tell the CEO" button like Ruger's does. 
Blackie

neilin

For what it may be worth, I talked with one of the Remington service people about two weeks ago. They told me the R51 magazines were not being shipped, due to the fact they are currently under evaluation. There were no other details related.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: neilin on September 26, 2017, 01:00:58 PM
For what it may be worth, I talked with one of the Remington service people about two weeks ago. They told me the R51 magazines were not being shipped, due to the fact they are currently under evaluation. There were no other details related.

Neilin,
     So if they are not being shipped, that begs the question,  How did ol' Wiley Clapp get two new ones so quickly.
Oh,  forgot, he is a magazine writer.
Blackie

SCurmudgeon

Quote from: neilin on September 26, 2017, 01:00:58 PM

The plot thickens...

I suppose the bean counters and execs are busy counting up the number of pistols sold and multiplying by the cost of new magazines times 2 before they are willing to admit [again] that they didn't have all of the kinks worked out last September.

lklawson

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on September 28, 2017, 08:28:07 AMThe plot thickens...

I suppose the bean counters and execs are busy counting up the number of pistols sold and multiplying by the cost of new magazines times 2 before they are willing to admit [again] that they didn't have all of the kinks worked out last September.
That said, I have seen a couple of manufacturers release updated designs to magazines without recalling the old, giving out new for free, or even "admitting" to anything in particular.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on September 28, 2017, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: SCurmudgeon on September 28, 2017, 08:28:07 AMThe plot thickens...

That said, I have seen a couple of manufacturers release updated designs to magazines without recalling the old, giving out new for free, or even "admitting" to anything in particular.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
     I received an email from Remington telling me I would be receiving two magazines in the mail with a shipment date of 09/28. 
The part number is F304502.  WOnder when the mags will arrive.   Could this be another year and a half wait?
Blackie

lklawson

Thanks for the update.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zenshot

It was nice to read some good press coverage of the R51.  It really is a cool design.
-David

DUTCH Van Atlanta

I received an email from Remington on 8/30 that the new mags were back ordered with no shipping date.  Nothing since.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood