• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Issue running 7 + 1

Started by Zenshot, August 18, 2017, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

I am having trouble running a full 7 + 1 load.  The upward pressure on the slide from the top round in the mag will not let the slide cycle. I am unable to even rack the slide by hand if I load 7 in the mag with the slide in the forward position. I have to lock the slide open, insert the mag, and then slingshot the slide.  My R51 is fairly new. Will the mags loosen up after a while? 
-David

CW3Retired

I had much the same problem with mine.  I shortened the follower about 1/16th of a inch and it has been smooth sailing since.  Several others have done the same.

Vic

Zenshot

Quote from: CW3Retired on August 18, 2017, 11:56:37 PM
I had much the same problem with mine.  I shortened the follower about 1/16th of a inch and it has been smooth sailing since.  Several others have done the same.

Vic
I'll give that a try.  Thanks!
-David

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: CW3Retired on August 18, 2017, 11:56:37 PM

Vic

Vic,
     All three of my mags had the same problem.  I shortened the legs on the followers 3/16 of an inch and no more
problems.  I do not know who is making the mags for the R51 but you would think they would get the message
from the customers.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

grivera

Agreed, had the same problem and sanding down the follower a little did the trick. Also disassembled the mag and filed off about a mm from that weird upper lip that causes rounds to hang. Have shot around 700 rounds since then with zero malfunctions. No idea why Remington releases the handgun like this. If they can't properly build a magazine, they should hire Mec gar or another reputable mag company and eliminate the issues. Other companies do that, no idea why they haven't gone that route.

valvestem

Quote from: grivera on August 26, 2017, 06:24:52 AM
Agreed, had the same problem and sanding down the follower a little did the trick. Also disassembled the mag and filed off about a mm from that weird upper lip that causes rounds to hang. Have shot around 700 rounds since then with zero malfunctions. No idea why Remington releases the handgun like this. If they can't properly build a magazine, they should hire Mec gar or another reputable mag company and eliminate the issues. Other companies do that, no idea why they haven't gone that route.
Is there a photo in the forum that shows the mag modification?

Zenshot

Mags are working well now.  I left them loaded for a week. Then while still loaded, I used an uplula to work the stack up and down (about 1/16 inch) a few times.  Apparently that worked.  No malfunctions when fully loaded 7 + 1 anymore.
-David

LouisianaMan

Zenshot, did you also remove 1/16" or 3/16" from the bottoms of your mag followers? Or simply leave them loaded and used the Uplula?

Zenshot

Quote from: LouisianaMan on September 23, 2017, 12:49:26 AM
Zenshot, did you also remove 1/16" or 3/16" from the bottoms of your mag followers? Or simply leave them loaded and used the Uplula?
I didn't make any modifications to the mag or follower. Just left them loaded and worked them up an down the last 1/16 inch with the uplula.
-David