• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

"eBay Barrel" reprise

Started by plunkster, April 14, 2017, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plunkster

Well, I finally got around to putting the "eBay Barrel" in my R51 and took it to the range today. It was pretty much a good news / bad news kinda session. The good news is that I had no malfunctions using the new barrel - a trend that has now gone to 350+ rounds with no problems of any kind with my R51. Now for the bad news - the barrel seems to be lacking in the accuracy department. It was shooting low and right, so I adjusted the rear sight to compensate... It now shot to point-of-aim (but low) most of the time but sometimes threw bullets off the target (inconsistently). I thought it might be me so I rested it and the same thing happened. Switched back to the barrel that came with my pistol and the problems disappeared. Verdict: the barrel is OK for defensive purposes as it doesn't affect the reliability of the pistol, but I'm going to stick with the original until I shoot it out.

Pat

Texas-Mark

Interesting. Mine seemed to shoot pretty much the same as the factory barrel. But I may have to try them side by side with the same ammo. Maybe I'll try slugging them to see if there is any difference.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: plunkster on April 14, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Well, I finally got around to putting the "eBay Barrel" in my R51 and took it to the range today. It was pretty much a good news / bad news kinda session. The good news is that I had no malfunctions using the new barrel - a trend that has now gone to 350+ rounds with no problems of any kind with my R51. Now for the bad news - the barrel seems to be lacking in the accuracy department. It was shooting low and right, so I adjusted the rear sight to compensate... It now shot to point-of-aim (but low) most of the time but sometimes threw bullets off the target (inconsistently). I thought it might be me so I rested it and the same thing happened. Switched back to the barrel that came with my pistol and the problems disappeared. Verdict: the barrel is OK for defensive purposes as it doesn't affect the reliability of the pistol, but I'm going to stick with the original until I shoot it out.

Pat

Plunkster,
     It is possible that the barrels we bought are seconds. Rejected by Remington.   The barrel I bought looked identical to the one in my R51,  but would not fit
in the slide.  The Breech was too wide.  Not having a set of calipers, I do not know how much difference there was in the two barrels.
I doubt a barrel shooting that erratically is going to straighten out. 
     Have you tried different ammo? 
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

plunkster

I only tried IMI 124gr stuff - it works great (in the original barrel) and is cheap at Cabela's. Like I said, it functioned just fine, so I'll still keep it as a spare. It might need to be "shot in", but to be honest, since the original works great I'll just put this in the spares box.

Pat

DanOh

I shot my R51 with the EBay barrel and found it to be accurate and no problems of any kind with the gun function.  Of course my original barrel did not have any lands or grooves and the bore diameter was .344 IIRC. I put 250 rounds through the barrel and was very pleased with how my gun performed.  I actually bought two of the barrels and put the second one in but only tested it with snap caps and it too performed well (except for accuracy, lol). I pitched the no bore barrel in the bin and sold the gun. I loved the R51 from the first day I saw it and still do, but CS left me with the feeling that Remington could care less about my complaint and was not willing in any way to be accommadating with repair. It was the opposite of what I had experienced with them in previous relations.  Maybe my bad luck in the random selection of reps but try as I might there was no amicable resolution. And, please, I don't care to go into all the details.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on April 19, 2017, 08:02:15 AM
I shot my R51 with the EBay barrel and found it to be accurate and no problems of any kind with the gun function.  Of course my original barrel did not have any lands or grooves and the bore diameter was .344 IIRC. I put 250 rounds through the barrel and was very pleased with how my gun performed.  I actually bought two of the barrels and put the second one in but only tested it with snap caps and it too performed well (except for accuracy, lol). I pitched the no bore barrel in the bin and sold the gun. I loved the R51 from the first day I saw it and still do, but CS left me with the feeling that Remington could care less about my complaint and was not willing in any way to be accommadating with repair. It was the opposite of what I had experienced with them in previous relations.  Maybe my bad luck in the random selection of reps but try as I might there was no amicable resolution. And, please, I don't care to go into all the details.

Danoh,
     Sorry you sold your gun.  Take it easy and drop in once in a while.
Blackie

RED HORSE

My experience was Customer Service was not a term understood by anyone at Remington.  I will never deal with them again.

DanOh

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on April 19, 2017, 02:40:55 PM

Danoh,
Blackie

Thanks, Blackie, I'll be here if owning a R51 is not a requirement to belong,  :D.  I have mixed feelings about my R51 experience.  I love the gun, the fact that it is a different platform drew me to it, and the looks of the gun are so cool and very functional for carry purposes.  So my "beef" has nothing at all to do with the gun, it is customer service- a part of any purchase that I consider to be a direct representation of a company's commitment to their product and promise with their buyers to back what they sell, and I feel I got a pie in the face. I still own my R1S and have no plans to sell it, it's a great shooter.   So, if you don't mind I'll hang around and read about all the goings on with all of you and the 51.

DanOh

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on April 21, 2017, 07:51:11 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on April 19, 2017, 02:40:55 PM

Danoh,
Blackie

Thanks, Blackie, I'll be here if owning a R51 is not a requirement to belong,  :D.  I have mixed feelings about my R51 experience.  I love the gun, the fact that it is a different platform drew me to it, and the looks of the gun are so cool and very functional for carry purposes.  So my "beef" has nothing at all to do with the gun, it is customer service- a part of any purchase that I consider to be a direct representation of a company's commitment to their product and promise with their buyers to back what they sell, and I feel I got a pie in the face. I still own my R1S and have no plans to sell it, it's a great shooter.   So, if you don't mind I'll hang around and read about all the goings on with all of you and the 51.

DanOh

Good deal, Danoh,  Glad to have you.
Blackie