• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

How did this happen?

Started by DanOh, March 10, 2017, 07:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

DanOh,
     I was referring to the ATF.  If somehow they discovered you have one of these slick barrels, you are automatically guilty until they decide you are not.  Usually after
the lawyers finish getting all of the money. 
Depending on what state you are in,  There is an outfit called U.S. Law  Shield that could advise you.  For free!
The Url is    //    https://www.uslawshield.com/contact-us/       See if your state is covered.
They got me out of a jam a while back and it did not cost me a cent.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 12, 2017, 09:39:16 AM
DanOh,
     I was referring to the ATF.  If somehow they discovered you have one of these slick barrels, you are automatically guilty until they decide you are not.  Usually after
Depending on what state you are in,  There is an outfit called U.S. Law  Shield that could advise you.  For free!
The Url is    //    https://www.uslawshield.com/contact-us/       See if your state is covered.
Blackie

I think the ATF thing is being blown out of proportion at this stage of the game. It is not illegal to posses a smooth bore barrel for a handgun as long as it is not assembled.

This is a blurb about the ATF and an antique smooth bore pistol.

QuoteATF's Hyche said Knox was correct in holding the gun, and ATF agents in Huntsville worked with Craig to make sure he could keep the gun.

To make this particular gun legal requires one of two things, Hyche said. Craig could have the gun rifled - have grooves cut into the barrel - or he could have the gun disassembled.

Before Craig left Madison Guns Wednesday, the gun was disassembled, and he was able to take the heirloom back home.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 12, 2017, 09:55:21 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 12, 2017, 09:39:16 AM
DanOh,
Blackie

I think the ATF thing is being blown out of proportion at this stage of the game. It is not illegal to posses a smooth bore barrel for a handgun as long as it is not assembled.

This is a blurb about the ATF and an antique smooth bore pistol.

QuoteATF's Hyche said Knox was correct in holding the gun, and ATF agents in Huntsville worked with Craig to make sure he could keep the gun.

To make this particular gun legal requires one of two things, Hyche said. Craig could have the gun rifled - have grooves cut into the barrel - or he could have the gun disassembled.

Before Craig left Madison Guns Wednesday, the gun was disassembled, and he was able to take the heirloom back home.

Tex,
     You probably are right, But me I had rather be safe than sorry.  I wonder what type of antique pistol that was.  I have a couple of old smooth bore pistols Cap and ball)
that I picked up with my C&R license.  (perfectly legal)   Maybe the gun they are talking about is a cartridge type of gun?
Blackie

DanOh

Since I have a new barrel that works and another on the way for backup, I'm not sending my pistol in.  I'll mail the barrel back to them in the return postage packaging they send but other than that I'm done with it.  I don't think I can trust them to get the gun back to me quickly and with the stories I've heard I don't need the annoyance of getting jerked around.  The smooth barrel is not assembled and IMO I have no responsibility of any part of any violation when you buy a gun over the internet and it does not conform to laws of the ATF.  What is you bought a rifle and someone sent you a SBR without your knowledge, are you saying that they can put you in jail?  Not everyone is knowledgeable about Class III items if you have no desire to own any of them.  I'm not worried at all about what the ATF would do, to me when the gun was assembled at the factory they broke the law.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on March 12, 2017, 06:15:04 PM
Since I have a new barrel that works and another on the way for backup, I'm not sending my pistol in.  I'll mail the barrel back to them in the return postage packaging they send but other than that I'm done with it.  I don't think I can trust them to get the gun back to me quickly and with the stories I've heard I don't need the annoyance of getting jerked around.  The smooth barrel is not assembled and IMO I have no responsibility of any part of any violation when you buy a gun over the internet and it does not conform to laws of the ATF.  What is you bought a rifle and someone sent you a SBR without your knowledge, are you saying that they can put you in jail?  Not everyone is knowledgeable about Class III items if you have no desire to own any of them.  I'm not worried at all about what the ATF would do, to me when the gun was assembled at the factory they broke the law.

DanOh,
     Good for you.  I think you made the right choice.  Trouble with the ATF, they are hard headed, and it would cost a bundle in legal fees to prove what you already know.
Anyway we had some excitement for a while.  Something new on this blog almost every day.  Who knew R51s could be so much fun?   :)
Blackie

DanOh

A little update, I sent Remington an email on Friday asking a couple of questions about returning the gun for repair.  Nothing back, not a damn word.  When I sent the first email I never got a reply on that one either.  I ended up calling them and got some info from that contact.  This is making me feel a little agitated.  When I had a problem with my Sig I called them and they sent me all the shipping labels and instructions on overnight mail and it went out the day after.  Obviously Remington sees no reason to rush anything.  When I spoke with them it was indicated that I should have everything today, Monday 3/13 to return the pistol.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on March 13, 2017, 01:28:59 PM
A little update, I sent Remington an email on Friday asking a couple of questions about returning the gun for repair.  Nothing back, not a damn word.  When I sent the first email I never got a reply on that one either.  I ended up calling them and got some info from that contact.  This is making me feel a little agitated.  When I had a problem with my Sig I called them and they sent me all the shipping labels and instructions on overnight mail and it went out the day after.  Obviously Remington sees no reason to rush anything.  When I spoke with them it was indicated that I should have everything today, Monday 3/13 to return the pistol.

DanOh,
     I know the feeling,  First time I called Remington, I got information, I since have only gotten offers to send my R51 to, I think, Alabama, or Georgia.
But that was back when I could not get the gun back together.  I just sent my Ruger LCRx 3" back in for a checkup as I thought the cylinder lock was malfunctioning.
Gun went in on 27 Feb, Today, I got it back, after a call from Ruger gunsmith explaining my perceived problem. 
Maybe we can have Ruger build the R51 under license???
Blackie 

DanOh

Got the shipping "bag" and work order today.  The postman went by my house without stopping and that sent my blood pressure up a few notches.  About ten minutes later when he came back down the other side of the street he ran across the road and put a large white envelope in my box.  Just like everyone said, send it to Butlick AL for repair.  Not going to do that.  I'm going to call R tomorrow and inform them of my decision not to send it to anyone buy Remington and if that can't be done, I'll take care of it myself.  Super pissed about how they handled this.  When my 1911 R1S went back to them for a prepaid one year inspection, it went to Remington in NC.  I'm not having my gun sit for two months in some backroom until they get time to fix it.  Also, and this is a big thing to me, under Reason for Return is stated, "rough barrel bore".  I think that is an obvious attempt to hide the true fact that this barrel was not bored at all and the ramifications of the seriousness of what occurred.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on March 13, 2017, 08:37:55 PM
Got the shipping "bag" and work order today.  The postman went by my house without stopping and that sent my blood pressure up a few notches.  About ten minutes later when he came back down the other side of the street he ran across the road and put a large white envelope in my box.  Just like everyone said, send it to Butlick AL for repair.  Not going to do that.  I'm going to call R tomorrow and inform them of my decision not to send it to anyone but Remington and if that can't be done, I'll take care of it myself.  Super pissed about how they handled this.  When my 1911 R1S went back to them for a prepaid one year inspection, it went to Remington in NC.  I'm not having my gun sit for two months in some backroom until they get time to fix it.  Also, and this is a big thing to me, under Reason for Return is stated, "rough barrel bore".  I think that is an obvious attempt to hide the true fact that this barrel was not bored at all and the ramifications of the seriousness of what occurred.

DanOh,
Wow!  A prepaid inspection, I never got that with my R1. Was that an R51 thing?  I always work on my own 1911s anyway.  I have an extensive library on 1911 adjustment and repair.
No body touches my 1911s except to shoot, at my invitation. 
"Rough barrel bore" sounds like Rem's attempt at CYA.  When it got to Buttlick, it would have been just another repair job. 
Blackie

DanOh

When I bought my R1 from Bud's there was a special offer going on at that time to provide a one year free checkup.  My R1 has been perfect and was when I sent it in, but there was a number of springs they went ahead and changed.  They also cleaned the gun inside and out.  It looked better than new when it came back.  They also replaced the rear sight because it had a mark on it from the factory when the sight was installed.  I love my R1 and shoot it regularly and unlike it's little brother, everything about it has been excellent.