• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Shooting dirty

Started by 1911SHOOTER, March 06, 2017, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Has anybody else noticed how dirty the R51 shoots.  No matter what ammo I
put through mine,  When I drop the slide, the breech block is black!  No big deal,
but I just think it seems strange.  Maybe getting a lot of blowback?  Not having ever
shot an R51 or an M51 before, I have no clue. 
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

Yes it does get dirty. However I also find the removable breech block and the slide easier to clean than the breech area on other guns. So I guess it's a wash.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 06, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
Yes it does get dirty. However I also find the removable breech block and the slide easier to clean than the breech area on other guns. So I guess it's a wash.

Tex,
     As usual you come up with a logical answer. How needs Remington?

Blackie

DanOh

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 06, 2017, 12:25:59 PM
put through mine,  When I drop the slide, the breech block is black!  No big deal,
but I just think it seems strange.  Maybe getting a lot of blowback?  Not having ever
Blackie

I shoot mainly reloads and I have some that are very clean shooting except in the R51.  My experience in reloading has been that when you get higher in pressure and powder charge, the soot cleans up with most powders, especially W231, but not with this gun.  Every thing I shoot in it leaves the inside of the slide and barrel looking like a coal fire has been burning in there, lol.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on March 10, 2017, 06:25:23 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 06, 2017, 12:25:59 PM
Blackie

I shoot mainly reloads and I have some that are very clean shooting except in the R51.  My experience in reloading has been that when you get higher in pressure and powder charge, the soot cleans up with most powders, especially W231, but not with this gun.  Every thing I shoot in it leaves the inside of the slide and barrel looking like a coal fire has been burning in there, lol.

DanOh,
Good analogy, I was thinking more on the order of a BBQ pit.
Blackie