• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Feed Ramp Differences

Started by paul7177, March 03, 2017, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 07, 2017, 01:09:23 PM
I cannot imagine Remington not cutting those barrels before selling them for scrap. 

As I mentioned before, I have bought surplus barrels before on e-bay that were brand new and perfectly fine.  My guess is when they stopped production on the gen 1 and redesigned the barrel (without the sides), they (or the company that originally made them) sold off the remaining inventory in a bulk lot. The listing even says "MANUFACTURED BY LATVA SOUTH FOR REMINGTON" so Remington may not have a say in it if they never took possession of them.

Texas-Mark

Got my barrel a day early. It does indeed fit just fine. I put 4 mags through it without issue. it was fixing to rain, so I had to be quick. Here are some pictures. The E-bay gen 1 on the left an my gen 2 on the right. Mine is shinier, because I had polished the feed ramp. IMO this was a great deal for a backup barrel.

Thanks to paul7177 for the heads up on these.

paul7177

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 08, 2017, 04:50:58 PM
Got my barrel a day early. It does indeed fit just fine. I put 4 mags through it without issue. it was fixing to rain, so I had to be quick. Here are some pictures. The E-bay gen 1 on the left an my gen 2 on the right. Mine is shinier, because I had polished the feed ramp. IMO this was a great deal for a backup barrel.

Thanks to paul7177 for the heads up on these.

You got to use yours before I could . Happy that it worked out well, I saw no reason why it should not have. You are welcome for the heads up!

Texas-Mark

Quote from: paul7177 on March 09, 2017, 10:27:13 AM
You got to use yours before I could . Happy that it worked out well, I saw no reason why it should not have. You are welcome for the heads up!

Without having one in my hands, I was not sure what was up with that feed ramp. I know they made a lot of changes to the gen 2 to solve problems of the gen 1, so I figured the feed ramp was something they looked at and changed for some reason.

In any case I went back out today and put another 300 rounds though the e-bay barrel without issue, Not sure if I will leave that one in, or just have it as a spare.

In this thread, I posted about an ammo/barrel issue, and I wonder if this barrel would have made a difference by guiding the round into the chamber more centered.

http://r51pistol.com/r51-general-discussion/ammo-issue-and-contributing-factor/

plunkster

OK - I just ordered one, too... I'll post results when mine comes.

Also, I asked him how he came into them and he was quite open about it - he bought them in an unclaimed freight auction back in July of 2014, which (obviously) confirms that they are Gen 1 barrels.

Pat

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: plunkster on March 09, 2017, 12:51:42 PM
OK - I just ordered one, too... I'll post results when mine comes.

Also, I asked him how he came into them and he was quite open about it - he bought them in an unclaimed freight auction back in July of 2014, which (obviously) confirms that they are Gen 1 barrels.

Pat

Plunkster,,
     Boy, is my face red.  After what I said the other day.  I guess Remington really screwed up huh?
I guess I will  order a barrel also.  Why, I do not know.  My R51 is shooting great.  But, who knows? 
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DanOh

I'm glad I bought one.  Especially since my original barrel came from the factory without lands and grooves.  I'm going to use the Ebay barrel as my primary barrel.

SCurmudgeon

Quote from: DanOh on March 10, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
I'm glad I bought one.  Especially since my original barrel came from the factory without lands and grooves.  I'm going to use the Ebay barrel as my primary barrel.

I don't have an R51 yet, but is it possible that they switched to polygonal rifling for Gen2?

lklawson

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on March 13, 2017, 11:42:06 AM

I don't have an R51 yet, but is it possible that they switched to polygonal rifling for Gen2?
Yes, it's possible, but it's the sort of thing that Remington would want to use in marketing.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on March 13, 2017, 11:42:06 AM

Scurmidgeon,
     I have a CZ82 with a polygonal barrel, they can be seen with a light down the barrel.  Looks pretty cool, and I think Glock
has a few guns with polygonal rifling also.  I love the way my Makarov shoots and it is accurate.
Blackie
P.S, gonna go order a second R51 barrel right now.

SCurmudgeon

Even after all the screw ups, I can't believe that Rem would accidentally ship barrels without lands and grooves machined in.

It has to be part of the design modifications, right?

P.S.  I'd love to get my hands on a CZ82 some day.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on March 13, 2017, 03:13:48 PM
Even after all the screw ups, I can't believe that Rem would accidentally ship barrels without lands and grooves machined in.

SC,
     They are fun guns to shoot.  Scant recoil, accurate, and CZUSA still services them.  I sent mine to the gunsmith at
CZ about two years ago, they fixed it and sent it back, no charge.
Blackie

DanOh

This is no new design modification.  I don't know if you read in the other thread, but I slugged the barrel and found the bore diameter to be .347.  If it was an octagon barrel it would be .355.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DanOh on March 13, 2017, 08:54:12 PM

This is no new design modification.  I don't know if you read in the other thread, but I slugged the barrel and found the bore diameter to be .347.  If it was an octagon barrel it would be .355.

DanOh,
     Got my barrel today, It won't fit in the slide, the breech will not fit in the inner slide!
Wonder if I could put treble hooks on it and use it for a bass lure?
Blackie..

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 15, 2017, 11:33:41 AM

Got my barrel today, It won't fit in the slide, the breech will not fit in the inner slide!
Wonder if I could put treble hooks on it and use it for a bass lure?

Can you post some pictures? Are you saying it's too wide?  Even the regular barrel can be tricky if you don't position it in just the right spot. Have you tried putting it in without the spring (just for fit purposes) so that the spring is not fighting you?