• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Feed Ramp Differences

Started by paul7177, March 03, 2017, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul7177

The left barrel is my Gen 2 R51.  The right barrel is one for sale on eBay.  The second one has sides on the feed ramp. They both are marked identically 9mm P+. Has anyone seen differences in barrels like this?][URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/antqrr/media/IMG_2376_zps2cnj9jnw.jpg.html][/url]

Texas-Mark

Interesting. From a gen 1 maybe?  I don't think it will work on a gen 2 because it looks like those sides would hit the breech block. Here is my gen 2 with the breech block in battery. Notice how the feed ramp is not as wide as the breech block. It looks like those sides would hit it.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 03, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Interesting. From a gen 1 maybe?  I don't think it will work on a gen 2 because it looks like those sides would hit the breech block. Here is my gen 2 with the breech block in battery. Notice how the feed ramp is not as wide as the breech block. It looks like those sides would hit it.

I am with you Tex.  I believe they are Gen I and Gen II.  The one on the left appears to be Gen II, looks just like mine.  Where did he buy that other R51?
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 04, 2017, 02:21:03 PMWhere did he buy that other R51?
Blackie

The other barrel is listed on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REMINGTON-R-51-FACTORY-STEEL-BARREL-9mm-LUGER-P-R51-GENUINE-OEM-/351113481081

I think there is a reason they are only $22  But maybe a little grinding could make it work. I may buy one just for the heck of it.

If the OPer actually bought one, I would like to know if it fits as is.

edit - Now I am pretty sure it is a gen 1 barrel. I found an old youtube video of the gen 1 disassembly and the barrel has those sides on the ramp. The only question is - are there any other changes that would make it not work in a gen 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ruE_UHyvs

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 04, 2017, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 04, 2017, 02:21:03 PMWhere did he buy that other R51?
Blackie

The other barrel is listed on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REMINGTON-R-51-FACTORY-STEEL-BARREL-9mm-LUGER-P-R51-GENUINE-OEM-/351113481081

I think there is a reason they are only $22  But maybe a little grinding could make it work. I may buy one just for the heck of it.

If the OPer actually bought one, I would like to know if it fits as is.

edit - Now I am pretty sure it is a gen 1 barrel. I found an old youtube video of the gen 1 disassembly and the barrel has those sides on the ramp. The only question is - are there any other changes that would make it not work in a gen 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ruE_UHyvs

Tex,
     That is why I, as a rule, do not buy on Ebay.  Scary stuff there.  Somebody is parting out a Gen 1 R51 on ebay? No telling what woes those parts have.
Blackie

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 05, 2017, 11:08:20 AM
That is why I, as a rule, do not buy on Ebay.  Scary stuff there.  Somebody is parting out a Gen 1 R51 on ebay? No telling what woes those parts have.
Blackie

Well, the guy has a boatload of them, so they may have been stock for the gen 1s. In any case I went ahead and ordered one just for the heck of it. $22.45 with free shipping was hard to pass up. Especially if it works as is or just needs a little metal taken off. Worse case, I am out the $22 but have a Christmas tree ornament ;D.

On a side note, I have bought surplus barrels for some of my other guns off of ebay and never had any issues.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 05, 2017, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 05, 2017, 11:08:20 AM
Blackie

Well, the guy has a boatload of them, so they may have been stock for the gen 1s. In any case I went ahead and ordered one just for the heck of it. $22.45 with free shipping was hard to pass up. Especially if it works as is or just needs a little metal taken off. Worse case, I am out the $22 but have a Christmas tree ornament ;D.

On a side note, I have bought surplus barrels for some of my other guns off of ebay and never had any issues.

Tex,
     Let me know how it turns out.   Looks like a little grinding will be required on the sides of the ramp, and at the edges of the breech.  Wanna borrow a Dremel?  :<}
I may get one just to practice my Gunsmith skills on.   What I have.
Blackie

paul7177

I purchased the eBay barrel and just installed it.  It fits perfectly in my Gen 2!  Also cycled a magazine of dummy rounds through it with no problem.
I am looking forward to trying it at the range.

Texas-Mark

Quote from: paul7177 on March 06, 2017, 08:14:59 AM
I purchased the eBay barrel and just installed it.  It fits perfectly in my Gen 2!  Also cycled a magazine of dummy rounds through it with no problem.
I am looking forward to trying it at the range.

Well, maybe I didn't purchase a tree ornament after all.

So, the breech block does not hit those ramp sides?  I would think there was a good reason they removed them on the gen 2.

paul7177

I have NO explanation why they were removed, just that they do not interfere with the breech block. Maybe easier to machine?

Texas-Mark

Mine should be here Thursday. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

DanOh

Thanks for the link for the barrel, Mark.  I better get over there and buy some.  If they work as described you can't go wrong.  Maybe the guy selling them has so many and got them at such a good price he's still making money.

RED HORSE

Anyone think to ask the seller if they will work in Gen 2?

Texas-Mark

Quote from: RED HORSE on March 06, 2017, 09:54:47 PM

I was going to, but figured the seller probably did not know, or else he would have stated it in the listing. The seller appears to deal mainly in surplus items given his other listings. .

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 07, 2017, 11:42:46 AM
Quote from: RED HORSE on March 06, 2017, 09:54:47 PM

I was going to, but figured the seller probably did not know, or else he would have stated it in the listing. The seller appears to deal mainly in surplus items given his other listings. .

Tex,
     This sounds like a guy who buy rejects from manufacturers for the scrap metal etc.  I bet if the truth is known, he bought them from Remington by the
pound, heard about the R51 problems and figures he can make a few extra bucks on the barrels.  Or, they were stolen.  I cannot imagine Remington
not cutting those barrels before selling them for scrap.  Or, maybe he bought them with the understanding that he would turn them into scrap.
Blackie