• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Frame wear

Started by PaulE, March 01, 2017, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulE

Does anyone have frame wear similar to this?

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: PaulE on March 01, 2017, 11:34:28 AM
Does anyone have frame wear similar to this?

PaulE,
     I have the same wear, but it, does not seem to be  anything but the blue wearing off. My R51 has about 2000 rounds through it, runs great,
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

I agree that it is just normal finish wear. Mine looks the same after several thousand rounds.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on March 01, 2017, 07:33:24 PM
I agree that it is just normal finish wear. Mine looks the same after several thousand rounds.

Tex,
     I have several 1911s that show wear like that.  I think it is just a high spot here and there.  CNC machines are known to be touchy.
and the cutting tools wear and I do not believe there is a way to track cutting tools while they are running.
I worry about barrels, and ramps, that is where the trouble will come in.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

It's part of the Hesitation Lock system.  The frame is aluminum and the coloring is anodizing.  The "step" there mates up with an upside-down step on the Pedersen block.  When the block disengaged from the shelf, it slides over that spot.  Anodizing wears far more easily than bluing.

Every R51 I've seen has the anodizing wearing in those spots.

The biggest concern that most people have is that it is a place where aluminum is mating against steel and they are concerned that the steel is just going to slowly grind away the aluminum until it no longer functions properly.  So far there have not been any reports that this has happened, but that is the worry for them.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk