• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Failure to Fire

Started by T3, May 14, 2014, 05:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T3

Last week I bought two boxes of Russian bullets from Academy Sports for $10.98 a box and went to the range. These were steel casings and the salesman at Academy said they had just arrived and he did not know anything about them.  He asked if I would give him a report after my experience.   After over 400 rounds without a single negative incident, I had the first FTF in my R51.  I actually had 8 failures to fire out of three magazines.  I went straight back to Academy from the range with a box and a half of that garbage.  They told me they did not normally give refunds on ammunition, but after hearing my description, they did refund for the unopened box.  Besides trashing a half of a box of ammo, the treatment used around the steel casings left a lot more burnt mess to clean.  I then bought a box of Winchester and Remington FMJ 115g and back to range I went...no issues whatsoever...not a single FFE or FTF!  Today, I purchased a 50 round box of Herter's (manufactured by Sellier & Bellot and made in Czech Republic) Select Grade Brass 115g from Cabela's for $13.98.  I went straight to the range and did not have the slightest problem.  While I was there, two new friends said they were also going to purchase an R51 after seeing mine and seeing how there was very little recoil.  They too had heard about the cleaning and lubing the pistol straight out of the box.  I told them how I had racked it a bunch to smooth out all of the "wrinkles" and assist the break-in period.

I noticed in an article recently published on the internet that an owner had returned his R51 for repairs.  Then he called Remington and was told they are going to be making a new Action Spring Bushing (something I was hoping for and stated on a previous post).  The Remington rep also said they were making some improvements to the Breech Block.  Another post stated the new grips were scheduled to be on the market in June or July.  These are all good things.  I hope to post some pictures soon of a pair of new grips I am making.

My R51 keeps getting better (but it doesn't like that Russian crap).
T3

e.engineer

I'm glad yours is running good with decent FMJ ammo.  And thank you for updating us on the latest design improvement rumors, I'm hoping they recall the gun when it's all worked out to implemented these changes on the pistols sold to early adopters like us.

wa2bop

Glad to see owners are hanging in.
I have continued to use my R51 without failures.  I have even put a Crimson Trace on mine, and have begun to pocket carry.
The CR laser is very well integrated,  I have several on several guns and they all work very well for me.

Would love to see photos of your grips, and would be glad to volunteer to beta test a pair :)
Barry
What, Me Worry?