• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Another day at the range.

Started by noisemaker, April 17, 2014, 09:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisemaker

I put another two hundred rounds thru the R51 yesterday, not one failure. I tried one handed shooting and it was a pleasure. It's a pretty light pistol and I had no fatigue or soreness in my wrist. Brought it home and gave it a good cleaning, very simple and quick. I'm loving this gun!

e.engineer

This is great news!  The gun really is a joy to shoot.  What ammo are you running, have you tried any self defense rounds yet?  If so, what kind?

noisemaker

I've mostly shot cheap target rounds sold by the gun range, I'll to write down what they are. A basic white box, not a major brand name though. Then I've shot 20 rounds of Winchester Train and Defend 9mm hollow points that I bought with the gun. Those were the only 9mm's they had in stock at the Academy here in Dallas. The range has a pretty good variety of ammunition I plan to try on the next trip. I'm going to get a membership there for the discounts, plus they are close and have a great staff.

noisemaker

Ok, I'm having some problems now. I'm not sure what to call this, it's like it's trying to load the next round before the last round ejected. The casing from the spent round is half way out of the chamber and the next round from the magazine is jammed. This is happening every fifth or sixth shot. Then sometimes I can shoot three or four mags with no problems, with the same ammo. So often I can't trust the gun. I'm also having some occasional rack hanging and just out of battery hanging when racking the gun empty. I've cleaned this gun more than any gun I've ever owned. This saddens me because I love the R51 for the recoil and accuracy. This is after well over 500 rounds of various ammo.
I also bought a Glock 19 and have shot 500 rounds without a single failure. But it's larger and I'm having trouble with accuracy, not to mention it's fugly. But it works. I'll give the factory a shot of sorting out my R51's issues. I'm not giving up on the gun...yet.

thefed

I just started having the same problems,  I was thinking that I wasn't holding the gun right(limp wrist) I have not had an out of battery fire.  When I bought it from Grander Mountain I bought there service warranty, maybe I'll take it in and see what they say.  I'll post how things go.  This started after about 150 rounds of target ammo 115gr.

e.engineer

Well this is concerning.   I was starting to doubt the extreme negativity of reviews based on my personal experience, and hoped issues would get worked out after "break in".   I haven't had a chance to get back to the range (or buy more ammo for that matter).  Please keep us posted here with progress, I will certainly do another range report after my next outing.

This was the first gun I bought a warranty on (gander mountain also).  Looks like that may have been a wise decision.