• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Charlotte vs. Huntsville

Started by SCurmudgeon, February 16, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCurmudgeon

I'm not sure if this question has been asked or answered on this forum.

As I understand it, the Gen 2 pistols are built in Huntsville, but because they wanted to use up their stock of Gen 1 frames, initial Gen 2s were stamped as being manufactured in Charlotte.  And after all of the original Gen 1 frames were rebuilt, all subsequent R51s would be stamped Huntsville.

Has anyone heard of or experienced any quality or performance issues - good or bad - that can be attributed to the original versus new lot of frames?

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on February 16, 2017, 10:43:06 AM
I'm not sure if this question has been asked or answered on this forum.

As I understand it, the Gen 2 pistols are built in Huntsville, but because they wanted to use up their stock of Gen 1 frames, initial Gen 2s were stamped as being manufactured in Charlotte.  And after all of the original Gen 1 frames were rebuilt, all subsequent R51s would be stamped Huntsville.

Has anyone heard of or experienced any quality or performance issues - good or bad - that can be attributed to the original versus new lot of frames?

SCurmudgeon,
     I guess you just joined up.   Several of us have had minor problems,  but we seem to be able to solve our
problems on our own In different ways, but our solutions seem to work,.  Do you have a problem, or you contemplating
buying an R51.  If so, go for it, and have a blast.  We all moan and gripe, but we love our R51s and shoot a ton of
9MM ammo.   If you have a problem,  post it, I guarantee you will get boukoo solutions.   :<)
P.S. Way I understand it, the old frames were not worth being rebuilt.  I think the few guns built in Charlotte, were
built before the plant was moved.  I have a charlotte gun and after a few hiccups, it runs like a Singer Sewing Machine.
Blackie.   
Welcome to the Zoo.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

SCurmudgeon

Thanks, and yes I agree that after the initial hysteria following the re-release died down, folks generally experienced good performance; and those that didn't got decent service from Remington.

I've been lurking on this site for a while and lurking on the R51 since its initial release.  I'm waiting to rent or borrow one before I pull the trigger.  I'm not crazy about how it feels in my hand, but then I'm not crazy about how most subcompacts fit in my hand either.  I really want to try before I buy.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on February 20, 2017, 12:14:55 PM
Thanks, and yes I agree that after the initial hysteria following the re-release died down, folks generally experienced good performance; and those that didn't got decent service from Remington.

I've been lurking on this site for a while and lurking on the R51 since its initial release.  I'm waiting to rent or borrow one before I pull the trigger.  I'm not crazy about how it feels in my hand, but then I'm not crazy about how most subcompacts fit in my hand either.  I really want to try before I buy.

SC,
If it were me, I would probably go ahead and get one.  I have not seen too many blogs about problems other than the keyboard jockeys on the web.
The guys on this blog for the large part, sound pretty experienced.  Not snotty or rude and always willing to throw in a suggestion.
Do your due diligence, Check your local shops that have a range, and you probably will find one to rent.  If not, wait till you see a shooter
on the range and offer to buy him a box of ammo if you can try it out.  If they are like most of us on "The R51 Pistol Forum,
They will hand you the R51 and forego on the ammo.
Good luck.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

livingintx

Mine is a Gen 2 and is stamped Charlotte. I had some feeding issues with it up until this weekend.  Hollow points would always nose dive and get stuck on the tab in the magazine.  Sometimes round nose ammo would do the same. I broke out my Dremel and polished the feed ramp as well as the inside of the tab on the magazines.  It was still acting up a little manually cycling rounds, but it was a lot better.

This weekend I ran 100+ rounds of Winchester USA Forged 115-grain steel case ammo through it without any issues at all.  I then ran 20 rounds of Sig V-Crown 124 gr and 20 rounds of Federal 124 gr Hydra-Shok with zero issues.

SCurmudgeon

What type of Dremel tip did you use for the polishing?

I have a Dremel, but I haven't used it on any firearms yet.