• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Racking with a full mag

Started by Texas-Mark, December 25, 2016, 11:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: gskipper on January 04, 2017, 08:38:19 AM
Same experience here with breaking in the mags.

I am wondering who makes the mags for Remington.  If we could find out, maybe a little communication with them might produce results since Remington
is being so close mouthed about the issue. 
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 06, 2017, 12:07:38 PM

I am wondering who makes the mags for Remington.  If we could find out, maybe a little communication with them might produce results since Remington
Blackie
Is there a chance they're made in-house?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on January 10, 2017, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 06, 2017, 12:07:38 PM

Blackie
Is there a chance they're made in-house?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Iklawson,
I have no idea,  just fishing.  Not a lot forthcoming from Remington.  Emsil  them a question, and they say send it to Alabama gun shop.  I imagine the
gunsmiths over there are overwhelmed right now.  There must be a few R51 owners having mag problems who are not Computer savvy that we don't
know about.  It appears that nobody at Remington reads this Blog or Remington Owners.com.
Blackie

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 11, 2017, 02:11:52 PM
Iklawson,
I have no idea,  just fishing.  Not a lot forthcoming from Remington.
I don't know either, just wondering out loud.

QuoteEmsil  them a question, and they say send it to Alabama gun shop.  I imagine the
gunsmiths over there are overwhelmed right now.  There must be a few R51 owners having mag problems who are not Computer savvy that we don't
know about.  It appears that nobody at Remington reads this Blog or Remington Owners.com.
Blackie
I know you're over on RemingtonOwners.com, but I wouldn't recommend Remington read that forum.  I quit it somewhere early in 2014.  I found the, um, "quality" of the predominant posters at the time was, um, "sub-par."  It was sufficiently poor quality that it made the R51 forum there not only a useless waste of time, but actually damaging due to the great amount of misinformation and bad legal advice being presented.  I occasionally think of going back but then I glace at it and see some of the same posters and change my mind.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on January 12, 2017, 10:36:38 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 11, 2017, 02:11:52 PM
Iklawson,
I have no idea,  just fishing.  Not a lot forthcoming from Remington.
I don't know either, just wondering out loud.

QuoteEmsil  them a question, and they say send it to Alabama gun shop.  I imagine the
Blackie
I know you're over on RemingtonOwners.com, but I wouldn't recommend Remington read that forum.  I quit it somewhere early in 2014.  I found the, um, "quality" of the predominant posters at the time was, um, "sub-par."  It was sufficiently poor quality that it made the R51 forum there not only a useless waste of time, but actually damaging due to the great amount of misinformation and bad legal advice being presented.  I occasionally think of going back but then I glace at it and see some of the same posters and change my mind.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
     I know what you are saying, But I hope that one day I might get a jewel out of all the gravel over there on Rem owners.com.  Something that will help us
old farts with weak hands to field strip our R51s.  If you hear of anything, pass it on Kirk. I have an idea, but will wait to see if it works before I make a fool
of myself  :<{
Blackie

Texas-Mark

In that other thread, I showed the wood block I use to make disassembly and assembly easier. So far it has been working fine for me. But if I had the tools and patience, I would make something shaped like this made out of polymer. It would fit into the chamber and the top would rest on the slide like my wood block (needs to let the breech block move freely). Having it in the chamber would result in less chance of it slipping out like the wood block can do if you are not careful. Once the slide is on, you just pull the slide back and dump it out. It would also be the right length to have the take down lever lined up.

Sorry for the poor drawing as I never claimed to be an artist.  :)

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 13, 2017, 04:59:58 PM
In that other thread, I showed the wood block I use to make disassembly and assembly easier. So far it has been working fine for me. But if I had the tools and patience, I would make something shaped like this made out of polymer. It would fit into the chamber and the top would rest on the slide like my wood block (needs to let the breech block move freely). Having it in the chamber would result in less chance of it slipping out like the wood block can do if you are not careful. Once the slide is on, you just pull the slide back and dump it out. It would also be the right length to have the take down lever lined up.

Sorry for the poor drawing as I never claimed to be an artist.  :)

Tex.
     That is alright. You are still trying.  I have an idea, but no knowledge of how to put a photo on this website.  Beyond my pay grade.  It would be a strip of metal bent 90 Degrees
at each end, to hook on the breech and the front of the slide.  (with padding to protect the blueing).          I_______I
Hang in there Tex!
Blackie

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 13, 2017, 10:45:27 PMIt would be a strip of metal bent 90 Degrees
at each end, to hook on the breech and the front of the slide.  (with padding to protect the blueing). 

The breech block or the barrel chamber? Nothing can touch the breech block because it needs to be able to move when the slide is removed or installed. That is why I have that inverted "L" shape to rest against the rear of the ejection port, so that the breech block can move freely. If the breech block is not allowed to move, it blocks the frame rails.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 14, 2017, 01:48:52 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 13, 2017, 10:45:27 PMIt would be a strip of metal bent 90 Degrees
at each end, to hook on the breech and the front of the slide.  (with padding to protect the blueing). 

The breech block or the barrel chamber? Nothing can touch the breech block because it needs to be able to move when the slide is removed or installed. That is why I have that inverted "L" shape to rest against the rear of the ejection port, so that the breech block can move freely. If the breech block is not allowed to move, it blocks the frame rails.

Tex,
     Bad terminology, of course I meant the chamber of the barrel.  Sometimes this old frame has "Brain Farts"!. 
Good thing I have you around to keep me honest!
Blackie

Texas-Mark

Ok, now I see what you mean. But I don't think it will work. I tried a block of wood like that, but because the barrel is lower than the slide top, the spring pressure on it wants to rotate it clockwise and it would fly out. My original block of wood works because it is on an angle and the slide edge and barrel edge both  sort of "dig" into the block keeping it in place (as long as you are careful).  That is when I came up with the other idea above to have something that actually goes into the chamber so it can not go flying out regardless of the pressure on the top inverted "L" part..

But if your idea works, I would be glad to see how it looks.

My simple block from the other thread

luteai

I'm having the same 'not able to rack a loaded mag' problem.  I've only ran about 100 rounds through the pistol, left the mags loaded to sit another week. If that fails what's next? Oh ya, while I disassembled and re-assembled the pistol 3 or 4 times prior to shooting, now that it's dirty she simply will not come apart... :o

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: luteai on January 17, 2017, 06:30:28 PM
I'm having the same 'not able to rack a loaded mag' problem.  I've only ran about 100 rounds through the pistol, left the mags loaded to sit another week. If that fails what's next? Oh ya, while I disassembled and re-assembled the pistol 3 or 4 times prior to shooting, now that it's dirty she simply will not come apart... :o

luteai
       Remington refuses to admit that there is a problem field stripping and reassembling the pistol.   Their video instruction shows Travis Tomasie  (Who can probably bench press a ton)
field stripping the R51.   No normal person can manipulate the barrel and spring the way he does.   Kinda like that young lady at the 2014 shot show racking the R51 with 1 finger.
Or the video showing  Tom Gresham from Gun Talk shooting two R51s all day with no jams.  However he is sling shoting the slide like we have to do.
This does not help us a bit.  Remington needs to get off their collective butts and let about 10 of us with problems  bring our own R51s to the factory and shoot them for the
engineers there. Let them see the problems, let them try to rack OUR R51s with a full mag.  Let them talk to us abut the problems a few of us are having.  Shipping an R51
to an Alabama gun shop proves nothing.  Except it deprives us of shooting our R51s we want to love.
Blackie

Texas-Mark

While I personally would not recommend it because the mags will keep loosening up, someone posted that they clipped a few coils off the mag springs to lighten up racking a full mag. It may help now, but may cause problems later after the springs do loosen up

As for disassembly and reassembly, I am finding that to be getting easier too.

IMO there is really nothing to fix as far as the mags go. They will lighten up over time for racking that first round. And disassembly/reassembly is just the nature of the design. Not sure what can be done about that other than using a fixture like mentioned earlier in the thread.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 18, 2017, 01:00:19 PM

While I personally would not recommend it because the mags will keep loosening up, someone posted that they clipped a few coils off the mag springs to lighten up racking a full mag. It may help now, but may cause problems later after the springs do loosen up

As for disassembly and reassembly, I am finding that to be getting easier too.

IMO there is really nothing to fix as far as the mags go. They will lighten up over time for racking that first round. And disassembly/reassembly is just the nature of the design. Not sure what can be done about that other than using a fixture like mentioned earlier in the thread.

Tex,
     As usual, you are making sense.   However, the inability to rack a cartridge from a full magazine persists with some guns.   Modifying the mag does not sound like the way to go.
As I said before, Remington needs to talk to the folks having this problem.  The way they are doing it, sending a shipping label for a gun shop in Alabama does not equate with
communicating with the gun owners having the problem.  I have about a 1000 rounds or so through my R51 with no malfunctions, other than being unable to rack the slide on a full mag.
Every time I go to the range, when I am through firing my pistol, I will try to rack the last mag instead of locking the slide while inserting the mag.   It still will not rack, the slide stops
about halfway back. 
Blackiel

Texas-Mark

One thing I would suggest when racking with a full mag is to do it "briskly". If you go too slow, the breech block will hang on the rim of the case like this. Then trying to force it back just causes the nose of the round to rise up because the case can not move back any farther in the mag. So you need to have enough momentum to get it to jump over the rim.

And if you let the slide go at that point where the block is hung on the rim, you will get this type of jam.

You can also polish the rear of the breech block "ramp" so that it more easily slides over the case rim