• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Racking with a full mag

Started by Texas-Mark, December 25, 2016, 11:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas-Mark

I have read where people have complained about having problems racking the R51 with a full mag. I too initially had the same problem. However after keeping the mags fully loaded for about a week so the mag springs can take a set, and running several hundred rounds through the gun, I no longer have a problem. I have done no modifications to the mag. Here is a short video where I demonstrate racking the gun with 7 rounds in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7exqqu7piA&app=desktop

1911SHOOTER

Mine is starting to get looser too Tex. Still don't like not being able to completely disassemble the
thing, but I love shooting it. I may get a husky teenager to field strip it for me. Too bad my
grandkids all live outside of Texas.  Shooting function is 100% though, I have shot up all my
loose ammo in my range bag and now buying a different brand every weekend to try.
  :=}
So many guns, so little time!

GunFrogg

I have shot my R51 a lot (I just love shooting this little gun), and it feels it has gotten a little better racking with a full mag.

I'm starting to get the impression 1911shooter does not like disassembling his R51   :D

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GunFrogg on December 26, 2016, 08:46:20 AM
I have shot my R51 a lot (I just love shooting this little gun), and it feels it has gotten a little better racking with a full mag.

I'm starting to get the impression 1911shooter does not like disassembling his R51   :D

Gun Frog,

You are very astute!  I muddle through it about every 4th time I shoot.  I also am noticing that I can rack the slide with a full mag,
but it is a chore for these old hands.  I still "slingshot" the slide on a full mag. I found some defensive ammo called "Power Ball".  It is "Polymer" capped JHP.
Strange thing is, it is it is almost 1/8" shorter, and only 100 GR. It is +P though. Gonna try is this weekend and I'll
Pass any results along..
Blackie

BTW: I am behind the times, evidently this ammo has been around for a while.  Don't know how I missed it.

https://www.corbon.com/pow-r-ball.html

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 27, 2016, 02:17:57 PM
I found some defensive ammo called "Power Ball".  It is "Polymer" capped JHP.
Strange thing is, it is it is almost 1/8" shorter, and only 100 GR. It is +P though. Gonna try is this weekend and I'll
Pass any results along..

I had tried that once (.45ACP in a 1911) and did not have very good results. I thought the round nose would feed well (as claimed), but the "power ball" actually seemed to "grab" onto the feed ramp and caused FTFs. However, that was the only gun I ever tried it in, so maybe you will have better luck. 

lklawson

Gun Frog,

You are very astute!  I muddle through it about every 4th time I shoot.  I also am noticing that I can rack the slide with a full mag,
but it is a chore for these old hands.  I still "slingshot" the slide on a full mag. I found some defensive ammo called "Power Ball".  It is "Polymer" capped JHP.
Pass any results along..
Blackie

BTW: I am behind the times, evidently this ammo has been around for a while.  Don't know how I missed it.

Pow'rBall is pretty good ammo.  It's designed to mimic the profile of FMJ so that it should feed more reliably while still being expanding ammunition.  The plastic pellet also prevents the hollow point from clogging, which helps to ensure expansion.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

GunFrogg

Gun Frog,

Pass any results along..
Blackie

Hey 1911Shooter,
1/8 inch shorter . . . . humm the SAAMI spec on 9mm +p is a min of 1" COL. I am curious can you share what the COL is on those please.

I also am apparently behind the times. I have not heard of Power ball either. I did look it up and noticed it advertises it is designed to feed well.

Looking forward to hearing your impression on this ammo especially with Texas-Mark's observation the bullet seemed to grab the feed ramp.

happy new year
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GunFrogg on December 31, 2016, 07:43:36 PM

Gun Frog,

Pass any results along..
Blackie

Hey 1911Shooter,
1/8 inch shorter . . . . humm the SAAMI spec on 9mm +p is a min of 1" COL. I am curious can you share what the COL is on those please.

I also am apparently behind the times. I have not heard of Power ball either. I did look it up and noticed it advertises it is designed to feed well.

Looking forward to hearing your impression on this ammo especially with Texas-Mark's observation the bullet seemed to grab the feed ramp.

happy new year

Hey, Gun Frog,
     Those measurements are R.A.B.  (ruler and eyeball)  The SAAMI COL  limits are 25.40mm.  min and 29.69 max.   I have some SIG 9mm "V Crown" that is 1 1/8 in, and the Power Ball is
1 1/16 in.   All other 9mm in my bag is 1 3/16. I do not have a Micro-meter, sorry. The difference in length between the P'ball and other 9mm is scaring the heck out of 1/8 inch though.
     I have not fired this ammo yet, as the holidays got in the way.  It seems to feed okay in the garage though.  I have a "Clear" bucket of sand.     
It is possible that when Texas-Mark fired it, the Polymer ball on the nose of the cartridge scrubbed against the ramp.   Either that, or his ramp needs polishing. Just a wild guess
Texas-Mark!
Any way that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
I will get back after I shoot some of it in my R51 and 1911s.
Happy New Year back atcha.
Blackie

Texas-Mark

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 01, 2017, 12:28:33 PM
It is possible that when Texas-Mark fired it, the Polymer ball on the nose of the cartridge scrubbed against the ramp.   Either that, or his ramp needs polishing. Just a wild guess
Texas-Mark!

I was using it in a 1911 that has a very steep feed ramp to begin with. The ramp was polished. I bought it specifically because it was supposed to help feeding when hollow points would cause issues. But in my case the ball would tend to "grab" the feed ramp.

Not my video, but here is someone who had a similar problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNSocr4ivWA

The bottom line is if it feeds ok, great, but just as the guy in the video shows, it did not work as well for me as regular HPs. But I suspect it may work better in the R51 because the feed ramp is not as steep as a 1911.

Let us know how it works while actually firing. I may give it a second chance.

marc82much

I just got back from the range. First time shooting my new R51. I could not rack the slide with 7 rounds in the mag either. Both magazines were the same. I could not even pull it back all the way. Major disappointment. For those that choose to carry without one in the chamber,  you now have a brick. I'm surprised.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: marc82much on January 03, 2017, 11:21:34 AM
I just got back from the range. First time shooting my new R51. I could not rack the slide with 7 rounds in the mag either. Both magazines were the same. I could not even pull it back all the way. Major disappointment. For those that choose to carry without one in the chamber,  you now have a brick. I'm surprised.

Mrrc82much,
     I have the same problem. For the range, I lock the slide back, insert the mag with 7 rounds, and pull the slide and let it sling shot forward.
It will keep shooting all day using this procedure.  For carry, I use the same procedure and replace the cartridge in the mag that loaded into
the chamber.  I am not an advocate of "Israeli style drawing".  That is above my pay grade.  Hope you come to enjoy your R51 as much as
I enjoy mine. Brick or no brick!
Blackie

marc82much

It's only a brick if I don't chamber one using first. I just called Remington to discuss the issue. Got a guy named Frank. He would not offer any help or advice, he just told me to send the gun back. They will look at it. Will take 2 days to 6 weeks. Sheesh. I think I am going to go back to CZ!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: marc82much on January 03, 2017, 11:56:25 AM
It's only a brick if I don't chamber one using first. I just called Remington to discuss the issue. Got a guy named Frank. He would not offer any help or advice, he just told me to send the gun back. They will look at it. Will take 2 days to 6 weeks. Sheesh. I think I am going to go back to CZ!

I have gotten a couple of offers to "Send it back", but they usually don't tell you it is going to a sub-contractor in Alabama.
The issue needs to be addressed by Remington, not some gunsmith in Alabama who is probably in over his head with work.  I don't  prescribe to " Israeli Carry'
as I said earlier, so the problem does not bother me.  I have about a thousand rounds through mine, and no issues.   Except it is so much fun
to shoot it, I am running out of 9MM ammo!  With a holster that covers the trigger guard I feel the gun is safe enough.  But that is a matter of preference
to the individual shooter.  Wanna borrow a CZ82?   :=}
Blackie

Texas-Mark

Quote from: marc82much on January 03, 2017, 11:56:25 AM

Before you send it back, I suggest you give the mags springs a little time to break in by keeping them fully loaded. Every time I shoot mine, it becomes easier to rack a full mag. I have a feeling if you send it in, they will just say there is nothing wrong with it.

Someone else posted about cutting a loop or two off of the mag spring which most likely will also work, but I think at the expense of long term spring life.

Even my recoil spring (Remington calls it an action spring) is loosening up a bit.

gskipper

Same experience here with breaking in the mags.